Is it worth resetting this diamond

KristineNaj

Jan 12, 2013
I have an OLD diamond ring that I am pondering if I should make it into a pendant

The diamond has rather bad clarity...as a matter if fact if you look closely you can see a visual carbon on the upper left. I think it's 3/4 carat

The band is thin and crappy...

is it worth spending the money on this stone? I could have it bezel set and made into a pendant and give it to my daughter. since it is her dad who gave me this ring.

Thoughts??

97f1df18-6599-4463-ad17-09cad02b4bc8_zps169534af.jpg

I guess it depends on how much your jeweller quotes you, but I think with a good clean and a nice thick bezel, it could be beautiful. It seems a shame to let quite a big diamond sit at the bottom of a drawer, especially if you could give it to your daughter. (I'm also obsessed with pear shapes lately!)

This looks really nice, IMO:

2zp6usw.jpg

Alternatively, have you considered putting a thin coloured gemstone halo around it? Maybe a deep sapphire, or whatever her birthstone is? This could make the diamond look clearer and brighter by comparison.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how much your jeweller quotes you, but I think with a good clean and a nice thick bezel, it could be beautiful. It seems a shame to let quite a big diamond sit at the bottom of a drawer, especially if you could give it to your daughter. (I'm also obsessed with pear shapes lately!)

Alternatively, have you considered putting a thin coloured gemstone halo around it? Maybe a deep sapphire, or whatever her birthstone is? This could make the diamond look clearer and brighter by comparison.

What a beautiful pendant! Great ideas too!

2zp6usw.jpg

I saw a similar pendant when I was searching and they do indeed look gorgeous! I guess I need to go see the jeweler again. I am now seeing this man multiple times a week, LOL

I guess I need to go see the jeweler again. I am now seeing this man multiple times a week, LOL

lol my mom always said I should marry a jeweller, a mechanic, or a dentist, to cut down on my biggest costs! Is he cute? Maybe you're just putting in the time :graucho:

I ended up with a guy who can fix my computer, which is just as good!

lol my mom always said I should marry a jeweller, a mechanic, or a dentist, to cut down on my biggest costs! Is he cute? Maybe you're just putting in the time :graucho:

I ended up with a guy who can fix my computer, which is just as good!
LOL.....he is an older guy...but so very nice which makes him cuter! When I was there last time I was lamenting about my metal allergies and how my daughter has the same issues. But she has never tried yellow gold...and I was just going to go ahead and buy some. He goes and gets me a 14k gold pair of knot earrings and tells me to have her wear these for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before I buy any! Who does that?

LOL.....he is an older guy...but so very nice which makes him cuter! When I was there last time I was lamenting about my metal allergies and how my daughter has the same issues. But she has never tried yellow gold...and I was just going to go ahead and buy some. He goes and gets me a 14k gold pair of knot earrings and tells me to have her wear these for a couple of weeks to see how it goes before I buy any! Who does that?

Wow, he sounds wonderful! I love hearing stories like that...some people still do business the old-fashioned way, treating their clients like valued partners rather than faceless bags of money.

Ooooh, rings now!!

I also like thicker shanks, like this (which actually looks kind of close to the clarity you're working with):

357r42g.jpg

And I still think that a coloured halo would really brighten up the stone and make it pop! Like this, but maybe in a blue or pink sapphire?

2iuukg2.jpg

Last edited:
so many choices...

I will be curious as to a halo of sapphires; what sort of cost that will be.

I was going to go today...but honest to god I was just there yesterday and I am embarrassed to go again today