Is it worth it to have her fixed up?

Robyn Loraine

Jan 14, 2010
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago I bought a Mulberry oversized Alexa in black from a reseller on ebay (authenticated here first of course). The bag was a steal and was described to be in pretty good condition, with the worst wear being some light rubbing of the corners. Needless to say i was thrilled.

Well the bag arrived and there were two major points the seller didn't disclose. The shoulder strap is very, very used. The piping on both sides all along is it splitting (the last pic shows what it looks like at the clasp but trust me it looks like that the whole way through except maybe the excess from the buckle). The buckles are tarnished. One end is loose around the clasp. Both clasps have the finish rubbed off. The other issue is the postmans lock. The underside is super scuffed up, but the top is really clean. I reached out to the seller, but she refused to admit anything was wrong and just reiterated that the bag was preowned so I should have expected it. I didn't do a case, partly because I just didn't want to deal with it.

My question for you ladies who know Mulberry better than I do is: is it worth it to send it out and get the strap replaced? I imagine the lock being replaced would be pointless because it would just scuff up again but maybe I could do that too. I was quoted that having the strap done would be about $165, not including shipping to and from Mulberry. I live in the states as well, so I have no idea if I'd pay customs when it comes back too ( I imagine they repair it in the UK). But is it worth it? Will the bag just wear right back down again? Should I just try to sell it on my own (no consignment shop will take it, I tried)? I know it is a classic bag but right now it's burning a hole in my closet and I just don't know what to do. If anyone could help with suggestions, if you've ever had your bag repaired (especially if you're in the states), or if you have your own experience with the OS Alexas I would love to hear what you have to say. TIA!

ps- on a side note I also have a regular Alexa I got from NPN that is the regular size and is absolutely gorgeous and in perfect condition. I JUST got my bottle of collonil so she hasn't been used yet but I really need to post a reveal. The leather is 1000% nicer than the leather on this OS alexa too, for some reason.

Attachments

• 20140804_151309_resized.jpg
    20140804_151309_resized.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 20140804_151330_resized.jpg
    20140804_151330_resized.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 403
  • 20140804_122748_resized.jpg
    20140804_122748_resized.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 401
  • 20140804_122833_resized.jpg
    20140804_122833_resized.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 404
I would open the case and return it to the seller.

I contacted her quite a while back when I initially just decided I didn't want the hassle (work was very, very stressful then) and got her original answer (which i might add the listing said specifically "perfect condition" which I take to mean pampered at least and I got plenty of photos from her, just none of the strap, not sure if that was intentional). Do you think I should contact her again or just go right through the resolution center? I've done this once before and it was so stressful so I just have bad memories of the whole process.

I contacted her quite a while back when I initially just decided I didn't want the hassle (work was very, very stressful then) and got her original answer (which i might add the listing said specifically "perfect condition" which I take to mean pampered at least and I got plenty of photos from her, just none of the strap, not sure if that was intentional). Do you think I should contact her again or just go right through the resolution center? I've done this once before and it was so stressful so I just have bad memories of the whole process.

As long as within deadlines (45 days??) open a case, tell her you've had time to think and the condition isn't as described and it will be too costly to economically repair.

Certainly not perfect

Looking forward to the other reveal :smile:

Im sorry to hear you have received something in such poor condition. The policy for ebay is mainly to protect the buyer and when something has been described as in good condition when it is clearly not. You have two choices 1) To open a case against the seller, yes it is stressful and not a nice thing to do, but you haven't done anything wrong , you purchased the bag in good faith. I am confident you will get your money back. 2) Do nothing and drive yourself crazy as you are obviously not happy with it. Email the seller again, tell her it was not in the condition you expected and then tell her you will open a case with ebay. If i were you I would be sending it back to the seller, no question. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm currently having big problems with the repair service as they have messed up my Mabel and I am now on the verge of tears. Based on my current situation Do not think about getting it repaired... I'd get the bag back to the owner and save yourself the heart ache and hassle. Hope it gets sorted for you soon.

I'm currently having big problems with the repair service as they have messed up my Mabel and I am now on the verge of tears. Based on my current situation Do not think about getting it repaired... I'd get the bag back to the owner and save yourself the heart ache and hassle. Hope it gets sorted for you soon.

Sorry to hear of your problems hope you get a resolution soon

I would just open the case. it doesn't have to be stressful, just open the case describing what is wrong with the bag, and the wait the 8 days and escalate to eBay.

I am not sure where you are in the US but the NYC Mulberry stores send their repairs to NJ. So no customs fees, etc to worry about. I would call the Soho flagship store in NYC rather than go through the website. I had the lock plate replaced on my wallet and it cost about $30, And got it back within 2-3 weeks.

Did the $165 quote include the piping repair, or is that just for a strap? I think you have to weigh what you paid for the bag, plus the cost of repair, and then decide whether or not it is worth replacing or maybe buying brand new bag from the Cabazon outlet in California.

If you decide to keep it without repair, I would use it as a knock around bag.

Yes, I would open a case too, as someone else said it doesn't have to be stressful. EBay practically always take the easy road and just ask you to return it.

She just looks too far gone. The leather sides where the shoulder straps attach look as though it pulls up a lot meaning it's been very used and there's nothing you can do about some of it.

If you did decide to have her done up I think you would be surprised with the hardware it usually cleans up well. The lockplate is worth repairing IMO it takes ages to get all scratched up. None of mine show much wear and it takes an awful lot of use to make the straps worn out. Straps are expensive though, about £100 in the UK and piping about the same. Sadly, it doesn't really sound as if it would be worth it.

It looks as though the bag has been thoroughly used and abused daily for a few years. Even if you paid for all the expensive repairs the leather looks as though it's been through quite a lot.

I would have thought your best option is sending it back

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your problems hope you get a resolution soon
Thanks elvis. They're taking Mabel back because the new studs on the handle straps have been bodged. Am considering posting pictures to get opinions because I'm really disappointed especially as it wasn't cheap!! Will keep you posted on the service I get back going forward. They are being helpful but it still should have been correctly checked before it was sent back :sad:

Thank you all. I found out part of opening a case is contacting the seller. I told her my feelings and this was the response i got.
"Hi, Did you not take it to a leather shop and ask their opinion? The strap is not going to break and I'm extremely surprised at your description on the strap as this is a mulberry bag and the quality is very high end, things do not break.. On another note, this is very disappointing to hear as I am not in the country and traveling for work - this is an extreme inconvenience for me and honestly, I think it is wrong to do this on your part. However, I have one offer in which you can think about. I will give you you 100 dollars for compensation and to avoid the trouble of making this an open case with customer service, not to mention I will not be available to accept his bag at home anytime soon. If you do not accept this offer then I will be calling Customer Service on my end about this issue. Please understand the length of difficulty this is creating right now to deal with this issue for both of us, especially as I am not at home."