Is it worth fixing a vintage Gucci bag?

smlbean

May 21, 2020
Hello all, first time poster so I apologize if this post isn’t in the right place. There’s an 80s Gucci monogram bag sitting at a local consignment store near me for $150. The problem is it’s in kinda rough shape, the body is in decent condition (some wear at corners, one or two small stains) but the strap cracked and is basically unusable. Worst of all, the hardware holding the strap to the bag is missing on one side. The SA told me a cobbler might be able to replace the hardware but I’m not sure how much that would cost if it is possible.

Is this worth buying and fixing? I’m not sure how “rare” this style is and based on my Ebay research, old monogram Gucci bags seem to run about $300. If repairs run me over $80 I’m not sure if it would be worth it for me even though I do love the style of the bag and it would fit well with my wardrobe.

E17B8358-8A20-41AF-BAE2-07EBBD0F1CD7.jpeg

93E3E155-8256-4417-9241-EDDE27ACD2CC.jpeg

71BC9AAB-FF24-417F-B419-DE81717E5E0C.jpeg

9718EBED-A441-4607-B181-A605D2984D6E.jpeg

I would do it (but then I can't see the broken hardware from the pics). Even as a clutch it may be worth it.

It's almost 50 years old so it has a right to look a little ragged around the edges. It's not only old but its rare now (1973).

It's also pigskin trim, and I can tell from the colour that it's dried out, possibly even left out in sunshine, if the colour and smoothness of the inside versus the outside condition is what it appears to be (from pics).

The first thing it needs is feeding.

Has the glue has dried-out, cracked and gone from being continuously folded? Those gaps you see at the side.

I wouldn't even worry about the front hardware. That's patina and should be left as is.

The new strap would need to be pigskin (wild boar preferably) and of the same colour. That's the tricky part. Perhaps Gucci could help you. I don't have as much faith in Gucci aftercare as I used to but you could ask (sending them the pics).

I would do it (but then I can't see the broken hardware from the pics). Even as a clutch it may be worth it

Wow thank you for the highly informative response! Sorry if it was unclear, in picture 2 there should be hardware like this on that side which is now missing.

I am a little worried about having to fork over a lot of money on repairs and then end up not using it. Would it have good resale value as is?

Wow thank you for the highly informative response! Sorry if it was unclear, in picture 2 there should be hardware like this on that side which is now missing.

I am a little worried about having to fork over a lot of money on repairs and then end up not using it. Would it have good resale value as is?

Aha, so that's why there are gaps in the fold!!! The hardware was slotted in there.

On one hand you'd probably only get back what you paid for it if you sold again.On the other hand, a new Gucci bag is at least 10 x more expensive and even people who buy a Hermes Birkin take about a 30% hit coz they need to cut a reseller in.

Unfortunately, I can't advise you on how much a repair would be. With that leather (for me) it would have to match and be a good job that means a good repair centre.

Gucci have repaired an old strap for me (£40) about 4 years ago but their GS veers from excellent to pitiful depending on what mood they're in.

I would do it (but then I can't see the broken hardware from the pics). Even as a clutch it may be worth it.

It's almost 50 years old so it has a right to look a little ragged around the edges. It's not only old but its rare now (1973).

It's also pigskin trim, and I can tell from the colour that it's dried out, possibly even left out in sunshine, if the colour and smoothness of the inside versus the outside condition is what it appears to be (from pics).

The first thing it needs is feeding.

Has the glue has dried-out, cracked and gone from being continuously folded? Those gaps you see at the side.

I wouldn't even worry about the front hardware. That's patina and should be left as is.

The new strap would need to be pigskin (wild boar preferably) and of the same colour. That's the tricky part. Perhaps Gucci could help you. I don't have as much faith in Gucci aftercare as I used to but you could ask (sending them the pics).
Can you use regular leather conditioner on pigskin?

Can you use regular leather conditioner on pigskin?

I never know what to say about conditioner. Pigskin (or boar) will absorb quickly so a lot of creamer and oils will look patchy.

I spread with a brush in a very thin layer and rub in as I go trying to keep the colour even.

Please read below. You don't have to use their products but just regards the differences.

Reactions: OogleAtLuxury