Is it weird to have the same engagement diamond shape as a good friend?

kuk416

O.G.
May 3, 2007
I have a good friend who has an oval center stone on her engagement ring. We are close - I am a bridesmaid in her wedding next summer. I have been looking for an engagement ring for myself and have considered pear or emerald. However, the more I look at ovals, the more I like them (b/c they are elongated and sparkly)! Is it tacky, weird, or copycatting to pick the same shape as my friend seeing how ovals are more of an obscure shape? There is only one other girl in our group who is engaged (she has a princess). Anyhow, my friend's ring is very fancy with pave, a halo, and filigree and I am interested in a solitaire with a simple setting so our rings would look totally different. I just don't want to have anyone to think I copied her or have people comparing our rings. What do you all think?

Best way around this would be to say that you have always loved her choice of stone shape,and that you would dearly love it,but in a different setting so it would appear a very diffrent ring.See what she says, or better still find a ring you like with a round or pear shape stone in,go shopping with her and say its important to you you have her opinion because you love her taste and value her input before you show it to your boyfriend.Then when you get to try the rings on say that you can,t help but lean towards an oval shape but in the simple settings you have in front of you so she can actually visualise that it would indeed look very different.Plus she will be so pleased and very special to be involved in your 'little secret' that she may be thrilled that you have also picked her style to emulate as well.Word of warning though if it goes well and she is happy about it,admit to her your original concerns and that you are so,so glad its not a problem.Don't keep secrets,it will come back and bite you on the ass!Plus she will be left with the feeling you might have thought she was a bit of a dragon!!!! And stuff like this usually has a nasty habit of coming out all wrong when your drunk!!!
I also don't think its stalker-ish,it just says to me two girls with a similar taste thats all,and if someone wanted an engagement ring like mine,I'd be really flattered someone thought my taste was that nice they wanted to wear something similar to it for the rest of her life!!

You should get what you want and not worry about what other people think. You're the one who has to wear it. If oval is what you want, I think you should go for it!

I think it's ok. What if you had a round cut center stone and she had the same thing? Since the round diamond is probably the most popular cut, you wouldn't be copying her because it's a very common shape. I think the oval diamond would be lovely and if you like it, then that's great!

It's fine... My friend loved my first setting, that she got one similar to mine (not to mention, same carat size as well - only 0.01 difference).

I don't really care. Our rings are still individual in it's own way anyway, so if you love the style, then get it.

Get what you like. If it's the same shape stone, so be it. It would be totally different if they were two of the same exact ring! I probably wouldn't even bring the conversation up because they're not the same ring.

The other thing is that my stone would be substantially larger than hers and I don't want it to seem like I am trying to one-up her. I'm really not trying to be a show off or flashy and the last thing I want to do is come off as being insensitive, you know?

Get what you want - you should love your ring, and if you two share similar tastes the oh well!

Women are funny, they get very territorial with things like this. If you think about it, girls often "claim" names they want to use for their future children, and get upset if they hear about anyone else using that name!

This is your ring that you'll be wearing for a lifetime so I would get what you love. I have a round center stone - as do many of my friends & relatives (and many many others for that matter) in varying sizes & settings - and none of us care. If my best friend gets engaged tmo & gets a ginormous round stone I will be nothing but thrilled for her, that's what true friends are for. I wouldn't feel any different if it were a different cut either.

Get what you want - you should love your ring, and if you two share similar tastes the oh well!

Women are funny, they get very territorial with things like this. If you think about it, girls often "claim" names they want to use for their future children, and get upset if they hear about anyone else using that name!

That totally reminds me of that Sex in the City episode when Charlotte threw a fit at a baby shower when the mon-to-be "stole" her baby name.