Is it silly to hoard bags you don't use?

I decided I am going to give the Pochette Metis another chance. I brought mine back on Saturday due to the glazing issues it had and I am currently wait listed to receive a new one. I decided I cannot live without it even though I don't use it that often.
During the process of deciding if I was going to keep or get a new style bag, I fell in love with the Palm Springs PM and the Clapton backpack, so I decided I want to purchase one of these, but cannot justify it without getting rid of something else I don't use. So, I think I have decided on selling my 2014 Totally MM Mono (used maybe like 3x) and my Favorite MM Mono. I have not reached for either of these bags since 2015. I rather use my Pochette Metis over the Favorite MM (it's too small) and I always reach for my Damier Ebene Neverfull over the Totally MM due to the vachetta leather on it.
My question is, would you keep a bag you haven't reached for in over 3 years or should I sell them both and use the money towards the Clapton backpack or Palm Springs PM backpack?

Last edited:
I have all 3 totally mm. I can’t bring myself to sell any and I haven’t used them in a couple years. I have been on a Neverfull kick.

I love the outside pockets on the totally. So easy to drop my keys, phone, etc.

I also love that it zippers. Very useful when in a busy city. Don’t have to worry about someone trying to reach in your bag. Also great on a plane.

I don’t own the favorite but I keep looking at it. I keep hearing about the flap getting the dreaded line over time. I also hear alot of people saying the magnetic closure is weak and it opens up.

I would sell the favorite over the totally.

Honestly though, I think you should follow your ❤️.

all my bags have its purpose ...

i haven’t use my epi petit noe for ages. but i love the yellow epi with purple interior. However when it was close to my due date for delivery, the epi petit noe is the only bag i want to use. I cannot bring myself to sell it. I think is best to follow ur heart. u will know what u want and then u will sell it

I have at least 75 designer bags (LV, Gucci, Prada, Burberry, Fendi, Coach & DB). They may or may not see the light of day; however that’s fine with me. It’s knowing I am able to chose what I want and when I want. I doubt if I will ever sell them. I have an attachment. :biggrin:

You may or may not reach for the bags you may want to sell, but make sure you are sure this is what you want.

One time I got rid of something to buy it back. You should put a great thought into it first. Good luck!

You girls are making me feel a lot better about how many bags I own. I just started making an official inventory. Hopefully I’ll also get around to taking photos to send to the insurance company. Even though I have a lot and my closet is starting to get crowded, nobody can tell how many bags I have when they enter my home or bedroom.

I moved last year and purged as much as I could. I gave several bags to goodwill and some to a friend and while I do miss some of them I can't think of a single time since then I would have reached for them. I still have several bags I haven't used in the last year but don't want to get rid of, I still enjoy them but they just currently don't fit my lifestyle. Who knows what will change in the next and then all of a sudden those bags will be my go to again. I think it's easier to hold onto something a little longer than it is to replace it down the road. There's no right or wrong answer here.

Reactions: bagluv4ever
Not a hoarder. Some here are.

I do think there's a difference between pure hoarding, in which you never use the item but keep it just because it exists, and holding onto a bag that does get occasional use. If you're hoarding, you have to ask why. If you get some pleasure out of it, okay that's something. If it has no meaning or purpose but just exists, that's something too: like saving used La Croix cans. Why.

I know it can be really hard to let things go sometimes, for all sorts of reasons. In fact, I have a bag that I finally decided just yesterday that I need to let go of. I was holding onto it because I love the color, the leather is so soft, and I spent a fair amount of money on it, but the reality is that it's not functional for me and every time I try to use it I just end up getting frustrated. So maybe it also partly depends on why you're holding onto it. But since you have bags that you reach for instead of these two, and you would like to put the money toward other purchases, I say let them go.

Personally, I find the word “hoard” has negative and unpleasant implications, so NO, I don’t hoard bags, but I do keep some bags that I don’t use all the time. I like owning them and using them occasionally. I only have a manageable amount for me. If I ever felt like I was “hoarding” I would definitely start selling some right away for peace of mind and mental health. JMO :amuse: