Is it safe to send item to an unconfirmed address?

bexiu16

O.G.
Mar 16, 2007
Hi guys,

I just sold my chanel pumps for $400+ and the seller paid for it today. I was going to ship out the item today, but then I realized that her address is unconfirmed. Is it safe? what should I do in this situation? Can I tell her to make it confirmed or refuse to ship?
Thanks in advance guys!:heart:

I think it would depend on how comfortable you are with the buyer and what her feedback looks like. If you're OK with it, make sure you send the bag with a signature required (I always send my bags via usps priority mail with signature confirmation and insurance). That should cover you.

Well, the buyer has a feedback score of 63, 100% positive feedback. Is that good enough? So I guess the best way is to send her an email, asking her to confirm her address? What if she said no?

That would really depend on where your buyer is located. Most places it's not possible to get a confirmed PayPal address.
No one can force you to complete the sale, but your buyer could file a NPS report and neg you if you don't.
You could also look into alternate forms of payment that would be safer for you as a seller.

Nope, not safe at all. If you're selling something inexpensive, I make exceptions case-by-case. I'm talking $20 or less...If it's a designer bag/shoes, no way. I only ship to confirmed addresses.

Scenario: Ebay member with 100% 500 feedback pays and you ship to her unconfirmed address. 3 months later, you get a charge back, and she emails you saying "3 months ago my paypal account was hacked into and someone bought your shoes and you shipped it to her but it was NOT me and I finally got my money back." Result: You're screwed.

That would really depend on where your buyer is located. Most places it's not possible to get a confirmed PayPal address.
No one can force you to complete the sale, but your buyer could file a NPS report and neg you if you don't.
You could also look into alternate forms of payment that would be safer for you as a seller.

yes, I thought it was weird how she bought her other designers stuffs on ebay with an unconfirmed PP address. She lives in Chicago...I guess I have to email her. Thanks a lot guys!

By the way, I learned the hard way with a $400 ipod back in the day. 6 months after I sent the item to a wonderful-sounding buyer who had great communication and 100% feedback, I got a chargeback! He told me that someone hacked into his account and bought some electronics. His credit card finally got to paypal to issue a chargeback. I lost the money.

It takes a couple of days to confirm an address. Issue a refund, and ask her to pay again with a confirmed address. If she refuses, then relist the item. In the future, change your paypal account preferences to block payments from unconfirmed addresses to save you trouble.

I don't get what you mean by "most places". I'm assuming you mean "most countries". However, US and Canadian addresses are easily confirmed.

I went ahead and emailed her. I hope she'll agree to confirmed her address. If she agreed, and like you said cola262, I would have to refund the $ to her, after that, do I need to relist the item again before she can repay me again? Would I have to pay PP another fee?

yes, I thought it was weird how she bought her other designers stuffs on ebay with an unconfirmed PP address. She lives in Chicago...I guess I have to email her. Thanks a lot guys!

If she lives in Chicago I guess there's no reason for her to not to have a confirmed address, but here in Australia, addresses are not able to be confirmed and it is a bit of a pain. Good luck.