Is it safe to fax my credit card statement?

Rain12

Apr 19, 2007
I just bought a bag online. Then I got an e-mail saying that because it's an international order, I'll have to e-mail or fax a credit card statement within the next 48 hours. And it has to have my address and my credit card number on it.
First of all, where I'm from the credit card number is NOT on the statement, it just says "Mastercard" and some other numbers. We don't get credit card statements alone, we just get a statement once a month, and then the credit card is on there, along with other stuff like phone bill etc. Has anyone in here ever had that same problem? It's kind of annoying when they just assume all over countries have statements looking like the ones in the US.
And then second, is it really safe to fax my credit card info? I mean what's the point in typing it in on a secure site, if I have to fax it to them later? I have no proof they're not saving it for some scam.
I'm not really sure what to do. Can anyone give me some good advise? I'd really hate to cancel the order. And the only other option I have is paypal (and I'm thinking they might charge my credit card anyway).

I won't do it, no matter which site I'm buying from.(and most never ask me to email/fax them the statement.) Use Paypal since it's an option.

not all credit card statements in US shows the complete credit card number, and it's too risky. Even if you send it w/o the security code, fraud activity can still be done since not all stores ask for security code.