Is it safe to buy a Dior Bag in Bangkok from a Dior outlet?

bagwathi

O.G.
Jun 15, 2012
I would not like to demean any country as such but a particular Dior bag and size specifically I am looking for is only available in one of the Dior outlets in Bangkok. Now as we all keep hearing about how you can find lots of fake Dior bags in Bangkok and some people go and exchange fake ones for real bags in the Dior stores (I read it in one of the LV forums) I am slightly worried about this. My question here is what would you check when you buy your Dior from a store - leather, model no./date of manufacturing/where its made OR anything else??

I hope I am not hurting anyone out here, this is just a enquiry because the bag will be picked by my husband who has no clue on this, I just give him the picture and he would get it :smile:

Cheers!

I would not like to demean any country as such but a particular Dior bag and size specifically I am looking for is only available in one of the Dior outlets in Bangkok. Now as we all keep hearing about how you can find lots of fake Dior bags in Bangkok and some people go and exchange fake ones for real bags in the Dior stores (I read it in one of the LV forums) I am slightly worried about this. My question here is what would you check when you buy your Dior from a store - leather, model no./date of manufacturing/where its made OR anything else??

I hope I am not hurting anyone out here, this is just a enquiry because the bag will be picked by my husband who has no clue on this, I just give him the picture and he would get it :smile:

Cheers!

By outlet, do you mean retail location or an actual discount outlet store like Woodbury Commons Dior? I'm assuming that you mean the latter.

You can contact Dior customer service to check on the validity of that outlet location if you're worried. I read a while ago that some counterfeiters went to the point of setting up a fake Gucci boutique to sell its fakes. I haven't heard of a fake Dior store, though.

As for people who switch fakes with real bags, I haven't heard of it happening at Dior. As well, Dior's outlet styles (like the Dior Samourai and Dior 3D) are pretty difficult to counterfeit, and since they were seasonal, counterfeiters have not really spent time improving those fakes. They have moved on to newer Dior bags.

So unless the sales associate isn't trained to identify fakes, you shouldn't get a fake.

By outlet, do you mean retail location or an actual discount outlet store like Woodbury Commons Dior? I'm assuming that you mean the latter.

You can contact Dior customer service to check on the validity of that outlet location if you're worried. I read a while ago that some counterfeiters went to the point of setting up a fake Gucci boutique to sell its fakes. I haven't heard of a fake Dior store, though.

As for people who switch fakes with real bags, I haven't heard of it happening at Dior. As well, Dior's outlet styles (like the Dior Samourai and Dior 3D) are pretty difficult to counterfeit, and since they were seasonal, counterfeiters have not really spent time improving those fakes. They have moved on to newer Dior bags.

So unless the sales associate isn't trained to identify fakes, you shouldn't get a fake.

Thanks Averagejoe, what I meant was the retail location. What I am eyeing is Granville which also might be not so easy to counterfeit. The store I am buying in Bangkok is authentic one listed on the Dior site so no worries on that front :smile:

But do you have any tips before buying a good bag would help in terms of checking out the wear and tears/scratches or anything else which one needs to be caution before buying?

Thanks!

Thanks Averagejoe, what I meant was the retail location. What I am eyeing is Granville which also might be not so easy to counterfeit. The store I am buying in Bangkok is authentic one listed on the Dior site so no worries on that front :smile:

But do you have any tips before buying a good bag would help in terms of checking out the wear and tears/scratches or anything else which one needs to be caution before buying?

Thanks!

I actually do have some tips. If you don't want a bag that has been returned, get a bag that still has some wrapping around the base of the handles and other places. Dior usually doesn't have more than one of a particular style in the boutique so that may not always be possible. Also, check the authenticity card. If it looks like it has already been filled in before, then it was a returned bag. One of the bags I got at Holts for my mom had the purchase date whited out, and then filled in again when I purchased it. I didn't mind, because the bag was in perfect condition and it was the only one that they received in stock.

As for checking the condition, always check for surface scratches and rubbing along the corners, particularly if it is a floor model which some customers have handled before. Since it is the Granville that you are interested in, I also suggest checking the base of the bag since the metal feet don't completely avoid contact between the bag and the shelf that it sits on.

Dior craftsmanship is exceptional so you shouldn't see crooked stitching or lopsided parts.

I actually do have some tips. If you don't want a bag that has been returned, get a bag that still has some wrapping around the base of the handles and other places. Dior usually doesn't have more than one of a particular style in the boutique so that may not always be possible. Also, check the authenticity card. If it looks like it has already been filled in before, then it was a returned bag. One of the bags I got at Holts for my mom had the purchase date whited out, and then filled in again when I purchased it. I didn't mind, because the bag was in perfect condition and it was the only one that they received in stock.

As for checking the condition, always check for surface scratches and rubbing along the corners, particularly if it is a floor model which some customers have handled before. Since it is the Granville that you are interested in, I also suggest checking the base of the bag since the metal feet don't completely avoid contact between the bag and the shelf that it sits on.

Dior craftsmanship is exceptional so you shouldn't see crooked stitching or lopsided parts.

Averagejoe you are the Best!!! Thanks a lot for these tips! I am sure it will be useful to others as well. I am now going to rattle this off to my husband to ensure the follows all your instructions to the T ...thanks once again! Praying that they have kept aside the bag for me and once it comes I will do a reveal :smile::smile: