Is it possible to use too much Collonil?

Lucinda2012

Oct 13, 2012
Evening ladies, was just wondering something about collonil.

I've gone through about 6 tubs of the gel/cream in about a year on my Bays and have just ordered 3 more and was wondering whether it was possible to use too much? I don't tend to drown the bag in the cream each time, but was tempted to just pour a load on (say half a tub) and give it a proper drenching :smile:

I treat my bag every 3 weeks or so (it's wonderfully therapeutic), and was curious whether the cream would soak through the leather to the suede side if you used too much? The leather does soak up the cream so you'd think that it could soak through to the other side?

I have the spray as well, but find it can dry out the leather a little so prefer the cream as I know it's had a thorough coating each time.

watchthestars said:
Six pots of leather cream in a year is a LOT! There's no need to treat your bag every three weeks. I don't think I treat mine more than a couple of times a year, there's no need.

Lol, I know it's a lot. To be honest I enjoy the process so do sometimes treat my bags when they don't necessarily need it. Living in Scotland I'm always fearful of the unexpected heavy downpour ruining the oak leather :smile:

Six pots of leather cream in a year is a LOT! There's no need to treat your bag every three weeks. I don't think I treat mine more than a couple of times a year, there's no need.

Wow i agree that is a lot

I haved owned a lot Mulberry bags and have never used cream on any of them :|

Im in Scotland too so never far from the rain and all I do is spray them whe they are new with what ever leather spray i have at the time (just now its ugg) and thats pretty much it :shrug: apart from maybe drying it off after heavy rain all of them are in good condition.

Im wondering if some where in between both of our care regimes is whats right ;)

mulberryforbes said:
Wow i agree that is a lot

I haved owned a lot Mulberry bags and have never used cream on any of them :|

Im in Scotland too so never far from the rain and all I do is spray them whe they are new with what ever leather spray i have at the time (just now its ugg) and thats pretty much it :shrug: apart from maybe drying it off after heavy rain all of them are in good condition.

Im wondering if some where in between both of our care regimes is whats right ;)

Haha, sounds like I've gone a bit OCD with my treatments! I had red wine spilt on one of my old bags in the past so overly cautious nowadays.

Anyone notice that after spraying with Collonil and going out in very cold weather -13 or more the black bags ( or light tan) get a light white shimmer, it almost look like there is a a residue on them that disappers when the bag gets into roomtemperature again? First I thought there was some faulty Collonil but same has happened to another bag sprayed with a diffrent can.
Very very weird! Seen it on 2 bags now when we had very cold weather and I have used the new Collonil Nanospray on. It is only noticable when you look at the bag close up, but still look pretty odd and only when the bag is quite newly sprayed.:thinking:

Anyone notice that after spraying with Collonil and going out in very cold weather -13 or more the black bags ( or light tan) get a light white shimmer, it almost look like there is a a residue on them that disappers when the bag gets into roomtemperature again? First I thought there was some faulty Collonil but same has happened to another bag sprayed with a diffrent can.
Very very weird! Seen it on 2 bags now when we had very cold weather and I have used the new Collonil Nanospray on. It is only noticable when you look at the bag close up, but still look pretty odd and only when the bag is quite newly sprayed.:thinking:

Do you buff after spraying Baginuse? I've a black mini Alexa and not noticed any residue.

Do you buff after spraying Baginuse? I've a black mini Alexa and not noticed any residue.
I usally do buff yes, I might have missed it the last time. Funny as it does not show at all untill it is so cold about -15 C or so, and then it shows up like a white shimmer, especially in the sunken parts of the printed leather where it is hard to buff so perhaps that might be the answer. :smile:

Evening ladies, was just wondering something about collonil.

I've gone through about 6 tubs of the gel/cream in about a year on my Bays and have just ordered 3 more and was wondering whether it was possible to use too much? I don't tend to drown the bag in the cream each time, but was tempted to just pour a load on (say half a tub) and give it a proper drenching :smile:

I treat my bag every 3 weeks or so (it's wonderfully therapeutic), and was curious whether the cream would soak through the leather to the suede side if you used too much? The leather does soak up the cream so you'd think that it could soak through to the other side?

I have the spray as well, but find it can dry out the leather a little so prefer the cream as I know it's had a thorough coating each time.

My word, Lucinda! Do you have shares in Collonil??!!! :roflmfao: I have bought the care kit from The Furniture Clinic and they recommend treating (and I would then spray with Collonil) every "season" ie four times a year. Any more seems like OCD to me, unless your bags come in for heavy duty wear and tear, that is ... Mind you, so far I've only ever sprayed with Collonil - I'm looking forward to a quiet hour or so cleaning, buffing and spraying (sadly only the bags, not me!) after which I may well have Caught the Cleaning Bug, too!! ;)

I'm also in Scotland & just spray & go probably about 4 times a year, they do
Get a good drenching right enough. Yesterday I sprayed my new bayswater deer skin gloves as I noticed a little water mark on them....don't know what I was thinking about using them before they were treated !

That's a lot... I spray my bags every 1-3 months depending on how often I use my bag.

Using the gel, I would use it for spot treatment. Only time I would use it more if the leather feels dry.