Tech Is it possible to take good night sky pics with a point & shoot?

Junkenpo

Maui Strong...♥️
O.G.
Jan 23, 2007
I have canon powershot A720 if that makes a difference.

I usually only use it on the automatic setting, or with macro.

What would be the best way to take decent pics of the stars & moon?

Or am I going to have to shell out $$$ for a more powerful camera?

I have a Sony Cybershot, and I tried to take some pics of the night sky while I was on vacation in Wales. None of them came out. I feel like a point and shoot (at least one comparable to my Cybershot) isn't good enough.

You can if you have the ability to adjust manual settings. You need to increase your shutter speed, turn off your flash, and shoot with a open aperture to allow enough light in to actually capture the image. Shots like that are easier with a tripod; with a longer shutter speed you it's harder to keep still.

You can if you have the ability to adjust manual settings. You need to increase your shutter speed, turn off your flash, and shoot with a open aperture to allow enough light in to actually capture the image. Shots like that are easier with a tripod; with a longer shutter speed you it's harder to keep still.

this.

Awesome! thanks so much...

I knew i'd have to fiddle with the manual settings, but had no idea what might be necessary. There was a gorgeous glow around the moon a few weeks back that made me wish I could take a pic of it.

I'm going to go find my guide book to figure out how to adjust shutter speed, etc, and see what I can get. Not sure where I filed it, so it may take a few days, but if I can get some decent shots, I'll be back to post them.

mahalo!

yeah, a tripod is a must.... you might have a preset setting on the camera for night shots as well, but considering how slow the shutter speed will be, you'll need the tripod to make sure the stars come out clear and not blurry.