Is it possible to redye fabric/jersey flap?

prettycitygirl

Metro
O.G.
Jun 15, 2009
I'm a newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance on the topic of redye.

Is it possible to redye a jersey flap? From what I've read thus far, Chanel will only redye leather bags.

Maybe a professional could redye jersery fabric? I don't know...any input would be appricated!

Thank you.

I'm a newbie here, so please excuse my ignorance on the topic of redye.

Is it possible to redye a jersey flap? From what I've read thus far, Chanel will only redye leather bags.

Maybe a professional could redye jersery fabric? I don't know...any input would be appricated!

Thank you.

Due to the underlying structure of the bag, I would highly doubt this would be possible without damage to the integrity of the bag.

First off Chanel will not redye a bag unless it is leather and only the same color. Now yes it is possible to dye a jersey fabric but I would not recommend it, first you will not be able to undo it (reviese it if you don't like it) second you can damage the fabric if it isn't done right. And as the previous poster said you can easily ruin the bag. Fabric bags have a inner lining that helps hold the shape of the bag, this is what makes the bag retain shape and structure. Dyeing this can cause damage. The other thing to think about is once you dye a bag Chanel will no longer take care of any thing on the bag (if you need a new chain or get a hole you will be on your own) Chanel will never again except this bag again for any repair or cleaning. So think long and hard before you start changing colors...... If it is a bag you no longer love or want I would suggest selling it getting some of your money back is the way to go towards getting another :smile:

I've seen a tweed chanel being recolored by my leather restorer... so I know it is possible... if I was not mistaken it was a white tweed to pink... :smile: But the owner loved that bag that much to change it so I think it was cool... the result was pretty good actually...but it depends on the fabric, colour you may want and the most important the professional who does it....

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on having a fabric bag re-dyed. This thread is the only complete one I've found here... so I hope it's okay for me to post this even though it's not a current thread. I have an older series 2 fabric (jersey?) bag that's faded and splotchy (and a tad misshapen). The hardware however is pristine (which is why I rescued it...oops, I mean bought it at a local reliable consignment shop here in FL).

Since this thread posted in 2013, has anyone had any luck with re-dying a bag without destroying it?

Thanks so much in advance for any/all advice.... :smile:

Attachments

• blue chanel front.jpg
    blue chanel front.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 389
  • blue chanel back.jpg
    blue chanel back.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 431
There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on having a fabric bag re-dyed. This thread is the only complete one I've found here... so I hope it's okay for me to post this even though it's not a current thread. I have an older series 2 fabric (jersey?) bag that's faded and splotchy (and a tad misshapen). The hardware however is pristine (which is why I rescued it...oops, I mean bought it at a local reliable consignment shop here in FL).

Since this thread posted in 2013, has anyone had any luck with re-dying a bag without destroying it?

Thanks so much in advance for any/all advice.... :smile:
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had any luck? I just emailed a purse service in Toronto to see if they could restore the colour or dye my pink jersey flap. I've sent it out to two high end cleaners and they won't touch it, even for cleaning because of the material. Chanel here is worthless, they looked at my bag and just sent me away. I couldn't even get a recommendation of where to take it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
  • Sad
Reactions: coquette_ish
Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had any luck? I just emailed a purse service in Toronto to see if they could restore the colour or dye my pink jersey flap. I've sent it out to two high end cleaners and they won't touch it, even for cleaning because of the material. Chanel here is worthless, they looked at my bag and just sent me away. I couldn't even get a recommendation of where to take it.

I ended up taking mine to a local cleaners that advertises their "expertise" in high-end purses,and they essentially ruined my blue bag. They had it for over three months and the best I can surmise, they soaked it then laid it flat and let it dry... for months. Every time I called they said it was still in process and/or being personally attended to by the owner.

The good side--if there is one--is they only charged me $25. The downside is the bag is worse than when I brought it in--stiff, crackly, and brittle. They did state they would not attempt a re-dye or touch up but stated that a cleaning would bring back the resiliency of the fabric (which felt like scratchy wool when I finally got it back). I've restuffed my bag and have been trying to at least bring it back into a non-flat shape. Other than that, no good news on this front.

I hope at some point someone posts something positive in this thread. Surely someone, somewhere, has had a fabric bag cleaned successfully.