Is it offensive to sell an item received as a gift?

I think the idea that she saved up money to buy the love is so sweet... so to me, that’s enough for me to keep the jewelry. My mother has gifted me several pieces of her jewelry- and even though they’re not my style, I occasionally take them out and wear then when I’m thinking of her (we live in different countries and I haven’t seen her in person for over 2 years).
Awww :heart:

I sold a piece of my grandmother’s... I put it towards another purchase (which I knew she’d have loved). I thought the necklace was dated at the time and that I’d never wear it. Totally regret it.

Edited to add I have other sentimental pieces too and wish I had never had gotten rid of the one.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 880
I’m in a similar predicament. I have a YG slim which I’ve owned for 3 years. I always wanted the classic but at the time the slim was affordable.

Now I am ready to purchase the classic. I’m not a fan of stacking. I have a someone interested in purchasing my slim bracelet.

I did consider keeping it to maybe pass on if I ever had a daughter, but that probably wouldn’t be for another 20 years. Do I sell or keep?

I’m in a similar predicament. I have a YG slim which I’ve owned for 3 years. I always wanted the classic but at the time the slim was affordable.

Now I am ready to purchase the classic. I’m not a fan of stacking. I have a someone interested in purchasing my slim bracelet.

I did consider keeping it to maybe pass on if I ever had a daughter, but that probably wouldn’t be for another 20 years. Do I sell or keep?
If you bought it yourself and it has no sentimental value then I would sell it.

I recently purchased myself a classic love, and I don't like stacking. I want to sell it, and maybe use the funds to buy my mom her own Love, but i don't know if this is rude and if i would regret it

especially since you don’t need to sell the small love gift in order to buy what you want, I would hold onto it. (I’ve sold things with sentimental value in the past and regretted it). Whether you want to now gift your mom a classic love is a separate issue, but just think, she could wear one you gave her and you could wear one that she gave you. . . JMO though. Bottom line is trust in your instincts; after all, TPFer like us, don’t know the intricacies of your relationship :biggrin:

Reactions: yayaisnan
I have my mother's diamond, it's smaller than I like, but jeweler said the quality was excellent. My parents had an awful marriage, horrid divorce and my mom is deceased, so I was all set to trade it in for something bigger, and guess what??? I couldn't do it for sentimental reasons. I don't even think she would care, but I can't do it. I had it made into a pendant. I can pass it down later, etc.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and yayaisnan