Is it normal to feel a little nauseous when purchasing an expensive bag?

Yes. But not for taking that money away from myself or my family. We own a home, have adequate retirement savings and college savings for our kids. If anything were to happen to our jobs or prevent us from working, we’d be able to get through at least a year and be ok. I didn’t buy my first designer bag until all of the above was checked off. I was 30.

My guilt is because that money - and let’s face it, the cost of a Chanel bag is more than a yearly salary for some people in some countries - could have gone to charity or helping others in some way. We do give ample amounts to charity too, and the fact that I have two Chanel bags that just crossed their 10 year anniversary makes me quiet the guilt a bit. I’m still trying to find my own balance personally. I love the quality of these very expensive, designer bags, and I’ve told myself they will last me forever and be passed down I. My family. I don’t sell anything. I also love the brand name and the fact that I’m investing in a historic fashion house. I’m really not sure if it’s the “right” thing to do as my moral conscience still struggle with it.

We buy these bags because it makes us feel special.
I do struggle with the sin aspect like we are not suppose to have material possessions and giving to charity is always better.

Think about quality vs quantity in your situation. If the bag has lasted 10 years than that is maybe $200-$400 a year and you still have something special and may have some value in it if you did want to sell it. I just picked up a target bag that sat in a closet for a year and it fell apart so I threw it out. What I have learned is that if you stop buying a bunch of cheap junk, wait and do "without" for awhile until you save up for something better quality it pays off in the long run.

I do struggle with the sin aspect like we are not suppose to have material possessions and giving to charity is always better.

Think about quality vs quantity in your situation. If the bag has lasted 10 years than that is maybe $200-$400 a year and you still have something special and may have some value in it if you did want to sell it. I just picked up a target bag that sat in a closet for a year and it fell apart so I threw it out. What I have learned is that if you stop buying a bunch of cheap junk, wait and do "without" for awhile until you save up for something better quality it pays off in the long run.

Target bags are such a money pit! I climbed out of that pit in my 20s after probably my fifth Target bag fell apart—usually the strap and anything faux leather starts cracking/wearing down from use within 8 months. Same goes for most fast fashion (e.g., Target, H&M, etc.) and made-for-outlet bags. The leather sags after 1 year even if it's properly stored and you're left wondering, "What did I really pay for?" Sometimes outlets may have retail/boutique styles but I feel those occasions have become rarer these days unless you know each brand's tells.

Reactions: MSV0 and luxsal
I'm not the target demographic of this question, because I haven't actual bought Chanel.

But, this is the reason I don't buy luxury handbags. Ultimately, I just can't stomach the price. Yes, we can afford it. Yes, they're pretty. Yes, I feel the urge to buy every time I see one. But, I just can't wrap my head around a $2000+ bag when that is close to a mortgage payment or rent.

I think on the PurseForum, you do find a lot of enablers who push you to ignore that feeling and just buy the bag. (This was discussed in the Money Talks forum - https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/what-is-your-age-and-how-much-do-you-have-saved-and-where.389298).

Honestly, if it makes you physically sick, maybe you should rethink the purchase?

I"m thankful I bought so many bags before this whole world of high end handbags really went crazy! I have many classic pieces I paid FRACTIONS of current pricing for, yeah they aren't the brand new this or that, but I have great staples from LV, Chanel, Hermes, Bottega, some classic flaps that cost me $1000 or less not $5-$8000, I don't know about everyone, but it's doubtful the majority of us have salaries 8 times higher than what they were 10-15 years ago, I know if I if I did I'd be making over 700K a year lol.. Companies have increased prices to "cater" to those of more elite status' where price is not object, but they also have not changed their products for the better which I find pretty well, crappy... and then I know people making modest middle class salaries who are STILL trying to keep up. I guess having the perspective of what I used to pay for bags that I still love to use, vs the incredible increases currently, has me opting out of the crazy. I will however partake in SLG's, sales, fragrance, stuff like that. I can wrap my head around a card case costing $350-$400 that I'll use everyday and know that 10 years ago they were $250-$300 a modest increase even though yes you can get a card case for $20 or less that has the same function.. but something like a classic flap that used to be in the $2000 range now what over $6000 or more (I don't even bother looking anymore) is just absurd. There's no end in site, for whatever reason people are still eating this stuff up, feeding into OMG another price increase have to run out and buy again, etc, etc.. well I'm out of this game. If my business becomes much more successful moving forward I MAY partake in a Birkin or Kelly in my lifetime, but it's certainly not a priority. I'm happy to use and appreciate what I have, it's also more friendly to the environment when you think about it too, consumerism contributes to carbon footprints also...

I usually feel guilty after the initial adrenaline rush. I love something luxurious and new. THEN...... I think about my children's tuition, car insurance, groceries, etc.... and the fact that I only work part time and my husband is the breadwinner. So yes, I get a great high and then I feel guilty as hell...... Not sure why I keep doing this.
You sound like me. I absolutely love luxury things but I also think at the end of the day it’s ‘just’ a bag. I’m trying to be more mindful and minimal of luxury purchases, though it’s very hard

Target bags are such a money pit! I climbed out of that pit in my 20s after probably my fifth Target bag fell apart—usually the strap and anything faux leather starts cracking/wearing down from use within 8 months. Same goes for most fast fashion (e.g., Target, H&M, etc.) and made-for-outlet bags. The leather sags after 1 year even if it's properly stored and you're left wondering, "What did I really pay for?" Sometimes outlets may have retail/boutique styles but I feel those occasions have become rarer these days unless you know each brand's tells.
I feel like in general they make so much low quality items now days. My parents blender lasted 50 years from the wedding gifts. You maybe had 2 or 3 to choose from. My new Ninja Blender broke after 1 year. The products are horrible and because you want something nice that last longer than a year I think is smart and not part of consumerism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pursekitten
Great thread for me to read as I do research to buy my first luxury bag, a Chanel. I get nauseous whenever I make a huge purchase. I was sick when I signed the loan paperwork for my first car which was pre-owned. Years later, I almost passed out when I signed the mortgage paperwork for my house. I expect it will be the same when I fork over the money for my first Chanel. However, I have worked really long hours (including weekends) for many years, sacrificing vacations with family and friends, to get to this stage of my career where I am professionally accomplished and can finally afford luxury items including the one Chanel handbag (or possibly two) that I have always wanted. And to be frank, I have more years behind me than in front of me. If I don't indulge myself now, I never will. I will buy and enjoy my handbag(s) for as long as I can and then pass it on to a younger woman who can't afford it so she can enjoy it/them for more years than I have.
Love this!

Glad I'm not alone having this feeling!!!!
Due to the crazy price increasing each year have contributed to me feeling more stressed upon payment. It has happened (not once but twice!) that I have removed my card from the cardmachine and walked out saying "I need to think about it" due to its high price.. :whut:
I'm glad to read this thread too and you're not alone! Just happened on me exact same thing last week! lol

Reactions: WendiBoo
Hi! Im a little bit late and probably no one will read this I just made my big purchase on a Chanel flap bag and I feel nauseous. I have saved up and made sure I will not be put in debt or have to dig into my personal savings (I made a separate savings just for this purchase).

I've been wanting a Chanel bag for the longest. During the pandemic, I got bored and sold alot of whatever I no longer used and had enough to buy a Chanel black caviar ghw Woc. I thought that would satisfy my urge to want a Chanel flap bag, but nope. Bought some LV and Dior, didn't work. So I consigned with Fashionphile and used the credit I earned on a Chanel caviar mini rectangular. Nope...didn't work. Finally...I took the plunge and bought a preloved Chanel caviar flap with 24k gold. I opted for vintage because after many research, YouTube videos, looking through images from buyers posting about the quality of their new Chanel bags, it was enough to scare me off from the current quality.

I googled about feeling nauseous after the purchase and it brought me here. The price of the vintage bag is pretty much the same as current retail in boutique. I feel sick. I'm not sure why. I saved enough, worked hard over the years, but why do I still feel sick? BTW, i don't plan on buying any Chanels in the near future or spending that amount for Chanel ever again, that I'm pretty positive of, considering I finally got the bag I want and see myself keeping it practically till I'm old and pass it to my future baby. I hope years later, I can look back and say "I got it before its became even more unreachable."

Hi! Im a little bit late and probably no one will read this I just made my big purchase on a Chanel flap bag and I feel nauseous. I have saved up and made sure I will not be put in debt or have to dig into my personal savings (I made a separate savings just for this purchase).

I've been wanting a Chanel bag for the longest. During the pandemic, I got bored and sold alot of whatever I no longer used and had enough to buy a Chanel black caviar ghw Woc. I thought that would satisfy my urge to want a Chanel flap bag, but nope. Bought some LV and Dior, didn't work. So I consigned with Fashionphile and used the credit I earned on a Chanel caviar mini rectangular. Nope...didn't work. Finally...I took the plunge and bought a preloved Chanel caviar flap with 24k gold. I opted for vintage because after many research, YouTube videos, looking through images from buyers posting about the quality of their new Chanel bags, it was enough to scare me off from the current quality.

I googled about feeling nauseous after the purchase and it brought me here. The price of the vintage bag is pretty much the same as current retail in boutique. I feel sick. I'm not sure why. I saved enough, worked hard over the years, but why do I still feel sick? BTW, i don't plan on buying any Chanels in the near future or spending that amount for Chanel ever again, that I'm pretty positive of, considering I finally got the bag I want and see myself keeping it practically till I'm old and pass it to my future baby. I hope years later, I can look back and say "I got it before its became even more unreachable."

You're not alone! It's totally understandable to feel sick after a big purchase. Do you at least have a return policy that can give you some leeway in case you're really regretful in a few days? I find the nausea goes away after I get used to the reality for a few days or weeks. I actually just bought some Cartier jewelry over the last 2 weeks that made me feel so sick but now I'm happy with them.

Chanel, Hermes, and other brands that just keep raising prices aggressively are tricky for me because I'm appalled each time there is an increase but if I were to buy something... sure enough, years later, I'm glad I got it for the "lower price." I think you'll have that feeling too a few years down the line... or you may not even think about the money at all since the bag will feel so ingrained into your lifestyle already.

You're not alone! It's totally understandable to feel sick after a big purchase. Do you at least have a return policy that can give you some leeway in case you're really regretful in a few days? I find the nausea goes away after I get used to the reality for a few days or weeks. I actually just bought some Cartier jewelry over the last 2 weeks that made me feel so sick but now I'm happy with them.

Chanel, Hermes, and other brands that just keep raising prices aggressively are tricky for me because I'm appalled each time there is an increase but if I were to buy something... sure enough, years later, I'm glad I got it for the "lower price." I think you'll have that feeling too a few years down the line... or you may not even think about the money at all since the bag will feel so ingrained into your lifestyle already.
It's only return accepted if it's not authentic or not as described. It's from a reputable seller but I plan on get it authenticated anyways as I usually do with my past purchase. The last time I felt sick was when I bought the prada re edition bag. Yes...it was just a nylon bag it was a birthday gift to myself. My first boutique purchase. The price devalue which I'm aware of. But I use it everytime I go out. It's so easy and light weight, there were times I forgot I was even wearing it. The only thing that bugs me is knowing there are so many counterfeits of that bag out there.

I've bought a vintage lambskin Chanel flap few months ago for a steal thinking, "ok. This will stop my urge from wanting the caviar flap" but it just even made me want the caviar one more. I ended up selling the vintage lambskin and made back what I spent.

Reactions: Pchul

This is so true. I stopped buying cheap(er), casual bags for this reason. Some people do carry around their inexpensive Target or fast fashion bags for a long time and that's awesome - I just could never do it... something about the expensiveness and classic-ness of (some) luxury bags keep them in my rotation for a long time. For example I was out of my mind when I bought my Neverfull in my early 20s but 10 years on it's still my One tote bag for travel and work. It's well earned its keep.

Glad I'm not alone having this feeling!!!!
Due to the crazy price increasing each year have contributed to me feeling more stressed upon payment. It has happened (not once but twice!) that I have removed my card from the cardmachine and walked out saying "I need to think about it" due to its high price.. :whut:
These aren’t bags that cost pennies so yes sometimes- maybe more often we are just in that situation that we are rushing into buying things. And yes sometimes we aren’t rushing as we have saved, thought about it for months/years and still to think so much money is going towards a ‘simple’ bag cause it’s supposedly luxurious and a big reward for our hard work, accomplishments, birthday, anniversary…even then it just doesn’t make it any easier when we could be adding that money to our retirement funds, investment (real investments!) a house…

I still feel guilty for buying a bag just yesterday that I’ve been thinking of for a couple of years and still that guilt is there.