Is it normal to feel a little nauseous when purchasing an expensive bag?

I feel sick every time! Recently decided to start selling some of my LV and Gucci bags. Was a Little shocked to see I get Max 35-40% of the price I paid - also they are new, some of them even never worn.
Any recommendations where to sell best? Thank you
I think that unless you have a very reputable selling history as a privat seller, it's quite difficult to get a good price.
I have heard that instagram is a good source to sell, you might also consider consignment sites like yoogis closet, fashionphile, 123bids, Collectorsquare, Vestiare Collective and so on.
Good Luck

Yes. I do/ did. Well I did most of my super expensive purchases in my 30s. I remember feeling nauseated and my head swirled when I purchased my first Hermes Birkin. I literally passed out after I swiped my credit card.

Now I'm in my 40s, and I don't buy these super expensive handbags anymore. So I haven't felt nauseated in a long time. But I enjoy looking at other people's purchases.

Sorta related... does anyone feel like as they make more money (aka more things become affordable), they care a little less about material things that add to an image of wealth? I was just talking to my husband about this recently. When I was young in NYC I spent way too much money on designer items to look “acceptable”. Now I feel comfortable no matter how I look, less like I need to “wear” my bank account.

Definitely. Fashion is subjective but for me overt logo print has never been my thing. The more low-key the better, so I love when luxury brands have more subtle options. That's a big reason one of my new favorites is Loewe. I'm thrilled when I carry my puzzle bag, but most people in daily life don't know what it is. The older I get the more I do things for my own enjoyment. Very few fashion items appreciate value and wearing head-to-toe luxury fashion has never appealed to me. Aside from the occasional treat, most funds go into investments and experiences.

Yes. I do/ did. Well I did most of my super expensive purchases in my 30s. I remember feeling nauseated and my head swirled when I purchased my first Hermes Birkin. I literally passed out after I swiped my credit card.

Now I'm in my 40s, and I don't buy these super expensive handbags anymore. So I haven't felt nauseated in a long time. But I enjoy looking at other people's purchases.

So very true! The close I get to 40 the less physical things I buy and the more I concentrate on experiences my husband and I can enjoy together and/or with friends. The memories we make together make me happier than an entire room of luxury brands.

Such an interesting topic! Human brain needs to get “used” to spend money on luxury things , at the beginning a bag of $1000 is considered “expensive”, afterwards it goes to $2000, $4000, and etc. If one feels nauseous over a high price , it means you are not “used” to it, maybe it’s a big jump from your usual purchase .
I remember years ago I purchased my 1st designer bag - a $200 coach - I thought it’s Expensive . :smile:

Great thread for me to read as I do research to buy my first luxury bag, a Chanel. I get nauseous whenever I make a huge purchase. I was sick when I signed the loan paperwork for my first car which was pre-owned. Years later, I almost passed out when I signed the mortgage paperwork for my house. I expect it will be the same when I fork over the money for my first Chanel. However, I have worked really long hours (including weekends) for many years, sacrificing vacations with family and friends, to get to this stage of my career where I am professionally accomplished and can finally afford luxury items including the one Chanel handbag (or possibly two) that I have always wanted. And to be frank, I have more years behind me than in front of me. If I don't indulge myself now, I never will. I will buy and enjoy my handbag(s) for as long as I can and then pass it on to a younger woman who can't afford it so she can enjoy it/them for more years than I have.

Last edited:
Great thread for me to read as I do research to buy my first luxury bag, a Chanel. I get nauseous whenever I make a huge purchase. I was sick when I signed the loan paperwork for my first car which was pre-owned. Years later, I almost passed out when I signed the mortgage paperwork for my house. I expect it will be the same when I fork over the money for my first Chanel. However, I have worked really long hours (including weekends) for many years, sacrificing vacations with family and friends, to get to this stage of my career where I am professionally accomplished and can finally afford luxury items including the one Chanel handbag (or possibly two) that I have always wanted. And to be frank, I have more years behind me than in front of me. If I don't indulge myself now, I never will. I will buy and enjoy my handbag(s) for as long as I can and then pass it on to a younger woman who can't afford it so she can enjoy it/them for more years than I have.
What a great post! I used to save my nice things for special occasions, only to realize they don’t happen very often, at least for someone like me living on a different continent than most of my family. Now I want to use them more often, not abuse them obviously, but find more ways to wear them.

I usually feel guilty after the initial adrenaline rush. I love something luxurious and new. THEN...... I think about my children's tuition, car insurance, groceries, etc.... and the fact that I only work part time and my husband is the breadwinner. So yes, I get a great high and then I feel guilty as hell...... Not sure why I keep doing this.
This is literally me. I get a rush off of 1) finding the bag I want after looking/reading about it for weeks or months and 2) the actual purchase (and also my friend’s purchases). Sometimes a couple hours later will start thinking, man I could’ve given this money to my mom or saved it or who knows. Sometimes when you’re working 12+ hours a day you just want something pretty to look at lol. Bags and jewelry are where my heart is because the $ divided by wear makes sense to me (I also plan to slow down if I have children and when I buy a house)

I think there are a lot of ways to contribute to your community that could offset the guilt, but overall don’t spend $ on something that won’t make you happy (:

This is a much discussed topic between me and my bag-obsessed friend! We jokingly call each other enablers but we regularly talk about how crazy it is to buy luxury. You get used to the price tags. We regularly catch ourselves saying things like "oh €2900 isn‘t such a bad price". If only our friends knew lol

We‘re both turning 30 this year and the idea of a classic flap has loomed large but the thought of spending so much is making us nauseous. When we started bonding over our love for bags, both retail and vintage prices were more palatable. Now we‘re supposed to shell out 6k at the boutique for an item that has not increased in quality?

You could buy a Dior, Celine or Loewe bag and put the remaining 3-4k into savings. That‘s the crazy part. When you‘re buying Chanel, you‘re paying twice as much but it‘s not twice as well-made. Can a love for a brand/fashion house really go so far?

That said, I do think that fashion as a hobby/interest is looked down upon in general. Women’s hobbies are not taken as seriously. If a guy is buying a luxury watch and is knowledgeable about watches, he‘s seen as distinguished — seriously, just watch Hodinkee youtube videos for a day or read the blog. He’s a gentleman. He’s got his life together. He‘s a horologist.

If a woman wants a a classic flap or a birkin, she‘s a shopaholic and bad with money. I think that‘s why women are more likely to feel guilty for spending $$$$$ on a bag, even if we can comfortably afford it.
I never thought about that and you make a good point.

I never thought about that and you make a good point.
This is a much discussed topic between me and my bag-obsessed friend! We jokingly call each other enablers but we regularly talk about how crazy it is to buy luxury. You get used to the price tags. We regularly catch ourselves saying things like "oh €2900 isn‘t such a bad price". If only our friends knew lol

We‘re both turning 30 this year and the idea of a classic flap has loomed large but the thought of spending so much is making us nauseous. When we started bonding over our love for bags, both retail and vintage prices were more palatable. Now we‘re supposed to shell out 6k at the boutique for an item that has not increased in quality?

You could buy a Dior, Celine or Loewe bag and put the remaining 3-4k into savings. That‘s the crazy part. When you‘re buying Chanel, you‘re paying twice as much but it‘s not twice as well-made. Can a love for a brand/fashion house really go so far?

That said, I do think that fashion as a hobby/interest is looked down upon in general. Women’s hobbies are not taken as seriously. If a guy is buying a luxury watch and is knowledgeable about watches, he‘s seen as distinguished — seriously, just watch Hodinkee youtube videos for a day or read the blog. He’s a gentleman. He’s got his life together. He‘s a horologist.

If a woman wants a a classic flap or a birkin, she‘s a shopaholic and bad with money. I think that‘s why women are more likely to feel guilty for spending $$$$$ on a bag, even if we can comfortably afford it.
Really interesting point. I recently decided that I wanted a new bag, I looked at a Loewe Barcelona Bag and a Chanel WOC as that was pretty much the least expensive item in the Chanel Boutique at Saks. The Chanel bag felt horrible, the leather was rigid and the lining looked cheap. I do have two other chanel bags at home from years ago and they feel so much nicer. I ordered the Loewe bag from the outlet in Palm Springs, under 2k, beautiful bag and I felt happy with my purchase. (Don't love the thick strap but that's another story). I feel as if there are so many other brands with beautiful leathers and fantastic workmanship that we need to explore those options and not just go for the name...... Now I am thinking of saving for the Hermes Evelyne bag but not sure I am ready to take the plunge for an unlined throw around day bag.

Reactions: iskam.mnogo