Is it normal to be told your too girly

I think it stands to reason that after years of being forced to dress the way your parents wanted you to, you might want to go all out when you finally get to express yourself. I wouldn’t pay attention to those who say you’re too girly. I don’t believe for one minute you were asking for validation from us, btw, I think you were asking out of genuine curiosity because you’ve come from an environment where exploring your feminine side has been not just frowned upon, but forbidden. Enjoy yourself. Be happy. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
That is a good question. Who decided that pink is girly? And when?
Pink is just a color, should be genderless!

I read that Pink used to be for little boys (over 200 years ago...) - not little girls - because it came from red, a 'masculine' color. And since most art with Mary, mother of Jesus, show her in blue, blue was the color for little girls - not little boys. Somehow, over time, it switched. Like you say, colors should be genderless.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and Traminer
I read that Pink used to be for little boys (over 200 years ago...) - not little girls - because it came from red, a 'masculine' color. And since most art with Mary, mother of Jesus, show her in blue, blue was the color for little girls - not little boys. Somehow, over time, it switched. Like you say, colors should be genderless.

Pretty much but far more recent (1920s). Pink was seen as a bright/assertive "strong colour" for males whereas blue was perceived as "subdued" colour suitable for women. The switch from the roaring twenties to the austerity of the depression era in the thirties changed men's dress codes significantly to the more subdued. You didn't want to stick out anymore so blue became preferable!

As to the OP, "girly" is just a value judgement made by others and life is too short not to do what you want! So enjoy what you like and let it all roll off your shoulders.

• Love
Reactions: JenJBS and 880
I would love to see pics of your closet, I bet it is awesome!

People used to tell me I was too girly when I was in my twenties and thirties and now they say, “you are so dressed up!” as if it’s an accusation. It just happened to me at my physician’s clinic this am and it’s sad bc they should want to make you feel BETTER.

The world has a LOVE-HATE relationship with ladies. No matter what we say, what we do, how we dress etc, we will always be criticized. Now why don’t they do that with men?

Reactions: bisousx and baghagg
nothing wrong with wanting to be feminine and liking nice things. I do think the grandpa may have made a mistake giving access to that kind of money to an eighteen-year-old. One can go get girlie things without spending that kind of money.
I hope OP has since since started earning her own income or getting her education so she can pay her own way in the future.
$18K could have been a down payment on a home. Just sayin

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Speaking as a 65 year old Boomer with the proverbial "wisdom that comes with age" bit, I shall impart some of that Old Lady Wisdom on you. Own your look, love yourself and don't give hoot what the world thinks or says about you. If you don't learn anything in this life, learn this now: your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters. Cultivate self-love now and continue that for the rest of your life. Trust me. You'll be much happier when you ignore what the world thinks about you.

Edit Note: Should go without saying, but simply because one learns not to care what others think isn't carte blanche to be a jerk to other people. :giggle:

Yes, I'm often regarded as 'girly', or traditionally feminine in my interests and looks. I have not always identified as such and I've had a lot of challenges growing up and understanding what being 'female' meant. I always felt uncomfortable being called a 'young woman' as a teenaged girl, that I'd make "a good mother someday", and I wasn't even sure if I wanted to be 'woman' at some point. I don't take 'girly' personally because I know I'm more than just that. Going off a tangent, I also don't appreciate guys trying to convince me that I'm so feminine, that I'm not like other girls. If I'm not on equal footing and you put other women down, I'm not interested. It only gives me warning flags.

At the end of the day, if you like to be called 'girly', there's nothing wrong with that. There's no such thing as too girly either. Everyone expresses themselves in different ways. You just gotta find yourself, things that you already possess and that you are proud of.

I know this account has it down that it's pretty old. My teen self created this account (probably for browsing purposes) but I'm just a couple of months older than you are. Not orthodox Jewish but I was also denied the opportunity to wear makeup and have my ears pierced. My decisions were met with much resistance from my father at first, but then I think he eventually let it be. By piercings, I just mean the standard one-on-each-lobe. I don't have anything more than that. He helped me dye my hair pink when I was 19, so I think it's safe to say that he eventually came to terms with it.

And yes, you could have totally been more responsible with your trust, but money will come and go, the lessons you learn are forever.