Is it me or the latest Small Sac de Jour feels cheap?

Tropezienne

Jun 11, 2016
This is the bag I am referring to: http://www.ysl.com/au/shop-product/...45285009wc.html#section=women_bags_tophandles

It retails for AUD 3,300.00 in Australia.

I am almost embarrassed to say that I just purchased this bag in as-new condition second hand from a trusted source and had to return it adamant it was a fake.

I had not been to the boutique to see/try the bag prior which clearly I should have done to avoid myself some embarrassment.

The bag arrived and I was so excited to open the box. Then as soon as I took the bag out of the dust bag, the smell was terrible and the bag had no weight to it and felt cheap. The leather is clearly treated but at first sight, it looked fake. The stitching wasn't perfect, the strap felt flimsy and one of the press studs was already cracked. The bag was new, there was no mark what so ever.

So as I grew paranoid that I could not trust anyone I organised for a return thinking I might be left with a fake. The return was accepted and I got my refund swiftly. My trust in people is restored but at that point I am still convinced the bag was a fake.

But it still played on my mind so I decided to drop by the boutique to see and touch the object of my desire and what a real one should look like... well, was I in for an embarrassing surprise... the exact same bag. I had mixed feeling: What had I done? Should I apologise and take the bag back?

I reasoned and decided if it was real, then I didn't like it and I should be thankful I could get a refund. The bag didn't feel luxurious at all. I wanted an understated bag but this bag felt cheap. It had no lining, no pocket, a useless lock and keys and whilst very lightweight, felt so flimsy. I also felt the bag would never develop that wonderful patina and slouchy shape the SDJ is famous for.

Now I'm on the look out for the SDJ's older version, the heavy one, with the suede lining. Unfortunately, this one is no longer available in the boutique. I hope it is what I imagine it is. I have a small collection but all my LV and Chanel feel and smell wonderful and this is what I expect of a luxury bag.

What do you think? Is it me or the latest Small Sac de Jour does feel cheap?

If anyone knows of a good large SDJ in smooth black or marine leather, let me know!!!

Last edited:
I wonder if you bought a new version of the SDJ, which features the "soft" leather. The old version has suede lining and is very heavy. It feels luxe. It is also very sturdy.

I have used mine on and off for a year. Except for a few faint scratches the bag is still in excellent condition. Mine is smooth black and more prone to scratches, but it looks sleek. When I have more time I will use some conditioner to buff out the scratches.

I wonder if you bought a new version of the SDJ, which features the "soft" leather. The old version has suede lining and is very heavy. It feels luxe. It is also very sturdy.

I have used mine on and off for a year. Except for a few faint scratches the bag is still in excellent condition. Mine is smooth black and more prone to scratches, but it looks sleek. When I have more time I will use some conditioner to buff out the scratches.

It definitely wasn't the "souple" soft leather. I haven't seen this one in the flesh yet but it appears it's not lined either.

The one I bought and returned was structured and the leather stiff and smooth but no luxe feeling there...

I'm very glad to read that the old version is everything I thought it was. Just disappointed it's not what I thought I ordered!!!

I am in Australia too. I've been wanting a SDJ for ages after only looking at them online. I went into david jones to have a proper look and I feel exactly the same as you. To me the leather didn't look like leather and it looked a bit tacky. I am going to check out the SDJ Souple today and I'm hoping it's much better than the bag I saw at DJs!

I am in Australia too. I've been wanting a SDJ for ages after only looking at them online. I went into david jones to have a proper look and I feel exactly the same as you. To me the leather didn't look like leather and it looked a bit tacky. I am going to check out the SDJ Souple today and I'm hoping it's much better than the bag I saw at DJs!

What did you think of the SDJ souple? I'm on a US trip and went into Neiman Marcus and the quality of all Saint Laurent was amazing. Unfortunately, I prefer the more structured old SDJ and there were none. I saw the souple in tan, it had the smoothest of leather, almost suede like, it was too die for. But I'm just not ready for that style yet.

So I'm still on the lookout for the old one!

Reactions: Bee-licious
What did you think of the SDJ souple? I'm on a US trip and went into Neiman Marcus and the quality of all Saint Laurent was amazing. Unfortunately, I prefer the more structured old SDJ and there were none. I saw the souple in tan, it had the smoothest of leather, almost suede like, it was too die for. But I'm just not ready for that style yet.

So I'm still on the lookout for the old one!

I LOVED it!!!! - The black SDJ Souple in small size, that is.

The leather was so soft and amazing! Plus the colour black was a really black black (haha does that even make sense!?).

It's on my wish list for sure now. I think the original SDJ is too structured for my tastes but the Souple would be amazing for me. The only thing I noticed is that when it's worn with the shoulder strap the bag kind of gapes open a little.

If you're in the US you should totally get one (the structured SDJ). The price at DJs is horrendous and much cheaper to get it directly from the saint laurent website. However I cannot find any size bigger than the small size, so might be more selection in the US too.

Let me know what you get if you get any! Have a good trip :smile:

I LOVED it!!!! - The black SDJ Souple in small size, that is.

The leather was so soft and amazing! Plus the colour black was a really black black (haha does that even make sense!?).

It's on my wish list for sure now. I think the original SDJ is too structured for my tastes but the Souple would be amazing for me. The only thing I noticed is that when it's worn with the shoulder strap the bag kind of gapes open a little.

If you're in the US you should totally get one (the structured SDJ). The price at DJs is horrendous and much cheaper to get it directly from the saint laurent website. However I cannot find any size bigger than the small size, so might be more selection in the US too.

Let me know what you get if you get any! Have a good trip :smile:

Unfortunately I was in CA and it's not worth buying there (CA tax), it's cheaper on the Australian YSL website and no old model anywhere!!!!

If I can find the old model, I'm now torn between smooth and grained! Black or Burgundy... Oh, the problems I have!

I must say I did like the souple... do post pictures if and when you get it!

Reactions: alta_ctrl
Very close up even smooth leather has a grain to it so it's not necessarily this noticeable from a reasonable distance. Hard to tell when you're not looking at the bag in the flesh.

Also, even luxe designer bags are not perfect and certainly don't stay perfect looking for ever even with very gentle wear.

I would want quality close up of the inside and all tags and cards that come with it new. The SDJ comes with a small square leather swatch as well as keys and cards in a small black envelope.

Reactions: coolmelondew
another photos....please help me authenticate.. thankyou, posted this in the other forum as well..

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 725
  • IMG_7203.jpg
    IMG_7203.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 714
  • P1016501.JPG
    P1016501.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 734
  • P1016504.JPG
    P1016504.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 739
  • P1016506.JPG
    P1016506.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 739
  • P1016512.JPG
    P1016512.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 735
  • P1016513.JPG
    P1016513.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 731
  • P1016516.JPG
    P1016516.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 740
  • P1016523.JPG
    P1016523.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 742
  • P1016524.JPG
    P1016524.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 749
It looks authentic. Did you notice the stitching looks stained or discolored in places?

Looking at the pictures of the interior, it is the older style that is lined (heavier) with interior pockets.

yeah i tried to rub it with wet tissue didnt work, any idea about how to make it clean?
I would try a light rub with warm soapy water but I would test on a non visible area first, such as an inside corner. Light colors and light stitching are always going to be higher maintenance.

It's a beautiful bag! Would love to see it in action, the color really pops!