Is it legal to copy other designers' design? Look at this steve madden sandal!

Oct 12, 2007
I am very surprised to see Steve Madden made this copy of famous Matt Berson gladiator sandal which was sported by many celebrities last summer. If it was Forever 21, I might not have been such shocked by the copy. But it is Steve Madden! I always thought this is a decent brand, though I never bought any of his shoes. I don't think it is legal to copy a design to such a degree. I remembered there's an article telling that Giorgio Armani accused D&G of copying(http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/090120-armani-accuses-dg-of-copying.aspx)

Here's the shoes:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3016815...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6017238&P=1

Lyra

Jul 15, 2007
Europe
One thing is copying - the other thing is that he used to use photos of the originals on his homepage and just photoshopping his own name inside the shoe :tdown:

paelaf

Reformed Bag Addict
O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
NY
I was so annoyed 3-4 years ago when they copied the Michael Kors Newton. It wasn't like the original was hundreds of dollars, but it was kind of a special shoe...Next thing you know everyone and their mom is running around with the same shoe. Actually, didn't payless copy that one too? It was a bummer.

goodmornin

yanko
O.G.
May 14, 2006
San Francisco!
All of Steve Madden's shoes are "inspired" in some way.

the cheapest brands to be somewhat "original" would be those such as tory burch, kooba etc..

nwhite

O.G.
Feb 25, 2008
TX
I was so annoyed 3-4 years ago when they copied the Michael Kors Newton. It wasn't like the original was hundreds of dollars, but it was kind of a special shoe...Next thing you know everyone and their mom is running around with the same shoe. Actually, didn't payless copy that one too? It was a bummer.
I have some Michael Kors clog shoes with the studs that I bought probably 2-3 years ago and payless had a copy of those (and a bunch of other stores)!

I do think a lot of Steve Maddens shoes are inspired by other designers. His shoes are pretty comfortable and price is good, but I just haven't seen anything that's really appealing to me lately. Designer shoes are always more appealing :graucho: