Is it just me?

While I am a but miffed about the "fakes" threads and typically avoid them but I also understand where the people who make them stand.

People who knowingly purchase fakes are doing something illegal, supporting counterfeiting is WRONG (if they had a brand and someone was stealing from them I am sure their tunes would change) and they are trying to front. Why can't people just be happy with what they can afford instead of trying to be something they arent? They are NOT purchasing the fakes because of the quality of the bags but because of the name and status of it. When I couldn't afford LV I bought Coach because that's what I could afford at that time and that's OKAY! LOL And to be honest I completely agree that those are the people who are shoving their bags in your face acting like THEY are better than everyone else!

I live in a country where there are plenty of fakes. I have been there before, i.e. buying fakes but that was when I did not have the capability of owning an authentic piece or not fully understanding how or why there was a need to buy an an authentic item. Anyways, I think there are stages of life where people go through and it is a progression, some progress, some dont. To me it is not a big deal whether it is fake or not, afterall it is only a BAG, i.e. to lug your things around. I do not want to be a hypocrit and make fun of people of their choices. Some people dont understand why we buy such expensive bags and there are those who dont understand why some buy fakes. There are more other important things in this world. :smile:

I would never comment on peoples fake bags. That would just be rude. If I see someone with a fake bag, I'll just laugh quietly to myself at how bad the fakes are and move on.

I think it is wrong to yell at people when they wear fake bags, but it really annoys me if people act like they have the real thing when they know it is fake.
I knew a girl with a scarf gucci bag and I asked her once if it was real and she said yes. One month later the scarf was falling apart, so I told her to go back to the Gucci store and then she told me it was fake! So she was lying to me all the time!!!!

I think it is wrong to yell at people when they wear fake bags, but it really annoys me if people act like they have the real thing when they know it is fake.

That is the part that annoys me as well. The ones that have a fake try to act better than those that actually can afford the real thing. I mean how fake is that.

All this talk of fakes, has me wanting to go shopping for some additions to my bags(all real, never touched a fake in my life).

oh finally one member who shares the same opinion as me! :yes: I totally agree with you and I just CANNOT stand some PFers who make threads about seeing fakes and feeling disgusted. IMO, these people are the ones who need to MOVE ON... Some people seem so obssessed about it that I think it's due to personal insecurities.
(And I'm not supporting counterfeit goods here...)

EDIT: wanted to add that even if a person knowingly tries to pass off a fake as an authentic bag, I personally am not all that bothered by it. Why would I be or why would anyone be? Others do whatever they want and if I share a different opinion about fakes, I'm not going to force people to try to convince them after stating my beliefs. Time to move on to the next topic.

my sentiments exactly.

Every time I see someone carrying a fake bag I just ignore it, the same way I skip an "I saw a fake.." thread if I don't feel like reading it.

That said, I don't like fakes. If I was creative enough to put a design out there and someone did a replica I'd feel robbed somehow.

From what I can tell most tpfers aren't confrontational about these fakes.

I think it's the dishonestly about it that bothers me - if you can afford the real thing and don't want it, why carry a fake? And if you can't afford it but wish you could, but something small from the collection you like, or something totally different that has integrity (support new designers out there, or a local business) rather than buying some mass produced fake that does no good. I guess I don't see the point of a fake any more than I see lying about your age - everyone still knows the truth, and it doesn't reflect well on your character.

(Seriously, I so wish everyone carrying a fake would throw it out and find something unique - the world could always use more diversity and originality.)

Firstly I'd like to say well done...a sensitive topic that has managed to stay civil and be discussed sensibly

I have to agree with Syntagma if a person can't afford or is not willing to save for the real LV (or other designer brand) then they should get what they like and is available, there are lots of bags out there that are very nice they don't have to carry fakes.

I do have a problem with people carrying fakes ( the one's that know and don't care) I work in retail and I have had many of these bags and the person's bad attitude shoved in my face.

For the people that don't know I feel really sorry for them I hate the idea that these people have basically had their money stolen especially when you see bags on ebay going for close to retail.

My issue's are with the people higher up the tree I wish more was done to clamp down on the production of fakes it is theft on so many levels.

I think people who carry fakes are in fact embarrassing themselves...I put my ebay rip off fake on the shelf and dare not use it for the fear of looking like a wannabe and cheap...it is real or nothing for me...a real banana repulic or coach bag is worth more asthetically than a fake any day....fakes really look cheap and tacky..who wants to look tacky...you can tell a fake a mile away..the weird stitching and cracking...it does not reflect LV it reflects the person willing to carry the handbag....

I find it quite amusing when members feel 'disgusted' at fakes and use the puking emoticon (or whatever that animated thing is called). To me it's quite bizarre that seeing a fake causes such a response!

Where I live Coach is the norm and whenever I see a real LV I love it, but whenever I see a fake I just look and turn away. I don't feel like puking and nor do I feel like writing about it here.

I don't like fakes because we have no idea where the profit goes to and the manufacturers of fakes probably don't pay taxes. So society as a whole is cheated by these scam artists.

I agree with you!

Don't get me wrong, I am an LV-lover but I wouldn't look down on someone that owns a fake (my parents taught me better than that). When I browse some of these forums, I feel a little sick reading some of the terribly shallow and mean comments made about replicas and women that own fake bags. Replicas may be "illegal" but remember that the same people that manufacture these bags are just doing what they have to in order to feed their own children and families (let's put it in a different perspective). Also, anyone that buys into the whole "replicas fund terrorist acts" needs to get a clue. Do you really believe everything the government tells you? Do you believe EVERYTHING you read in the newspaper and magazines? Where do you get your facts? Where do they get their facts? Ladies, remember that the same corporations that spread these messages have their OWN agendas (just look at what's going on in the world). There is so much more going on outside of our consumer-driven, fashion-obsessed worlds.

And if you CAN'T afford a real bag and you'd rather buy a fake, that's your prerogative. You're entitled to do what you want. For some people, it is definitely more practical to save instead splurge. Unfortunately, there are many women that get ridiculously caught up and obsessed with material things. It's not even worth loosing your head over, let alone making someone feel bad about their own possessions. They are BAGS for heavens-sake! What gives ANYBODY the right to judge someone over such a trivial thing in life? Some of us need a serious reality check and need to step out of own own materialistic, shallow worlds. It's just NOT that serious.

I agree with you!

Don't get me wrong, I am an LV-lover but I wouldn't look down on someone that owns a fake (my parents taught me better than that). When I browse some of these forums, I feel a little sick reading some of the terribly shallow and mean comments made about replicas and women that own fake bags. Replicas may be "illegal" but remember that the same people that manufacture these bags are just doing what they have to in order to feed their own children and families (let's put it in a different perspective). Also, anyone that buys into the whole "replicas fund terrorist acts" needs to get a clue. Do you really believe everything the government tells you? Do you believe EVERYTHING you read in the newspaper and magazines? Where do you get your facts? Where do they get their facts? Ladies, remember that the same corporations that spread these messages have their OWN agendas (just look at what's going on in the world). And if you can't understand that, then you're hopelessly lost. There is so much more going on outside of our consumer-driven, fashion-obsessed worlds.

Unfortunately, there are many American women that so get ridiculously caught up and obsessed with material things. It's not even worth loosing your head over, let alone making someone feel bad about their own possessions. They need a serious reality check and they need to step out of their own narrow-minded, materialistic shallow worlds. It's just NOT that serious.

There are many people in the world doing whatever it takes legally to feed their children.