Is it Just Me ?... ( Controversial thread )

Slowhand

O.G.
Feb 12, 2009
I thought it was about time I started one of my threads that go against the flow !

Is it just me - or is there anyone else who doesn't 'get' bag charms? :shrugs:

Don't get me wrong - I think they are lovely little things in their own right or used as key rings but I don't understand hanging them on bags.

To me the bags are perfect as they are and stand alone in their beauty. To me the charms don't add anything & often spoil a bag.
No offence intended btw - it's great that we all have our own views which is what I love about this forum.
As I said...it's probably just me !

Slow- I think it depends on the bag- I love them personally- and I think the bays looks perfect with a keyring on it- Im not so sure I would put them on some of the other style bags though- personal taste as ever

Slow, I understand where you are coming from.

I like the look of them when they are hanging up on the stand but wouldn't have them hanging off my bag. Someone gave me a charm to hang off my BlackBerry and I just thought 'why?'.
It's definitely personal taste as I think they can look really cute on other people's bags but it wouldn't be for me. That's definitely more about my style though as I don't like frills and flounces on clothes - Per Una is hell on earth to me!

I tend to take anything dangly off my bags, I even took the big metal luggage tag off my purple Shimmy hobo and I never carried my now long gone Chloe Paddington with its stonking padlock.

Slow I've bought charms hoping to love them but they have never stayed and moved on very quickly. I just don't get it either.

However saying that, when I was poorly a lovely lady sent me an oak Heart keyring and as it was such a beautiful thing for them to do I popped it on my choc effie and I really like it that way.

Slow- I think it depends on the bag- I love them personally- and I think the bays looks perfect with a keyring on it- Im not so sure I would put them on some of the other style bags though- personal taste as ever

I agree, I think some bags do suit bag charms/keyrings better than others sometimes a charm can detract from the beauty of the bag itself and other times the bag does looks better with something on it.

It also depends on personal taste some people do like things hanging from their bag, my daughter for one, personally I dont see the point, unless its a very plain bag but then I think they look more "classic" just left "naked"

I am the same with phone charms dont see the point but then maybe thats because I see the mobile phone as a tool I have it there for a purpose, cant stand the bloomin thing really means people can always get hold of me even when I just want to be left alone:biggrin:

I love the bag charms! But, strangely I only have 1, lol. I use it on cerise daria hobo. For now, I love my ol alexa exactly as it is and I feel the same way about my beautiful oak bays. I am enjoying them exactly as they are. With daria, I bought the bag charm at the same time and the charm bag combo has meaning for me as they were birthday gifts from dp. In fact, I feel emotional still thinking of that perfect day! So I think what I am trying to say is that I suppose it depends on the bag, how you want it to look and whether the charm perhaps has meaning to you. I will defo buy more charms in the future though, I do really like them xx

Slowhand - I am glad you raised this as a thread.....I don't get the bag charms thing either - I do have a keyring on my bayswater but apart from that i am not really into the charms things....I dont like dangly bits either.....removed the padlock from my paddington, and the luggage tag from a mabel i had once......
As ever we are all different....

I do understand where you're coming from too. I have only started with keyrings on bags recently and after beeing bitten by the bug in here. I love the look of many of the bags with keyrings on in here, and maybe especially the bays. However, I often struggle to find which bag I want to put mine on, without them looking to blingy or 'messy' for my liking, either due to lots of buckles or print (zebra for ex). I sometimes think they detract from the beauty on the bag when I try them on.

I only have two keyrings that I use on bags, well soon it will be three:graucho: One is placed on rosie and I quite like that, the heart is now on EW bays but will be on a bays later - I don't feel it's at home on the EW. Think the bag is more beautiful without.. Now I have the bag I think it will look good on (and it will look very good on the oak bays in my wishlist, which is originally the bag I saw it on). And the coming keyring will live on my oak roxy for a while after seeing so many lovely roxys with keyrings the last few days:biggrin:

So after all this..., I would say it totally depends on the bag, and of course, personal taste.

I guess a lot is to do with style & personality. I am sensible/ practical/ straight/ boring etc....and don't like clutter anywhere.
If it doesn't have a point or purpose it doesn't exist in my life !
I understand the sentimental side of them & they are cute to own and give or receive as gifts - so I suppose unless they are hung on bags they are pointless....I don't like to own stuff just for the sake of it. ie - all my bags are used etc.

My SIL gave me a Choc Darwin luggage tag which is a lovely thing in it's own right - but what am I supposed to do with it?! I have put it on my Choc Roxy but I don' t know why !!
HELP.

^^And not just when we're talking about bag charms either, ha, ha!! (Apologies for my smutty humour.....!):biggrin:

I am sensible/ practical/ straight/ boring etc....and don't like clutter anywhere.
If it doesn't have a point or purpose it doesn't exist in my life !

Exactly Slow, that's my ethos too. I live with three clutter addicts and it drives me mental. I stick to William Morris's adage to have nothing in your home that is neither beautiful nor useful. DH is lucky to stay sometimes!! :P