Is it inappropriate to use LV for school?

Alex Cheng

Jun 26, 2012
My school bag is almost falling apart, and I realized my LV messenger bag has been sitting in my closet for a long time never been using it. I just don't have a reason to use it. I only go to two places, out with friends or school. When I go out with friends, I use a small bag, never a big bag. When I'm going to school, I use my almost dead messenger bag.

Would using my messenger bag be inappropriate for Uni? Sadly its in monogram too, wish I bought it in Damier Ebene to be more low key. What should I do with this bag...?

I'm having the same doubt! As I'm almost finishing Uni, I think it's time to leave my pattern Eastpak backpack at home, and so I ordered a monogram briefcase, and though it hasn't arrived yet, I'm already feeling a bit awkward wearing it... where I study only 2 or 3 other students I know (girls) have LV (neverfulls)...

But at the end of the day, I think we must not feel awkward or shy about using the things we love and for which we worked and/or saved hard... And I think those feelings are just in the 1st days, after that we'll get used to it! enjoy your bag! :smile:

If you were younger I'd say it depends on where you go to school and whether other people carry LV. I'm in an upscale area and see a lot of high school students (boys and girls) who go to expensive private schools and carry LV.

University age I wouldn't worry so much about what others think.

I thought you meant high school before I read your post in full.

Uni is a different story, IMO. Having said that, I am currently studying for my master's degree and I still tend to carry my Ebene bags to uni rather than Monogram. I remember once during my undergrad degree I took a Gucci tote to class and some of the stares I got... :rolleyes:

I guess it comes down to whether you are comfortable with it. I am glad I have the option of 'lower-key' bags in Ebene, as well as some more discreet bags from other brands that I can carry to uni. If you want to carry your Monogram bag, go for it. You have to enjoy your things!

I would use that messenger bag, especially since you mentioned that your current one is falling apart. I'm from Asia so LV mono is still the most popular line and it's not unusual to see backpacks and neverfulls on students here in that print :smile:

Use it. You own it, you like it, you're fortunate enough to have it (lots of people would love to, but can't); F what other people think.

I get so confused when people spend designer cost and then shove it in a closet to never see the light of day and worry about what others think. What a waste of money that could have been better spent!

Use use use.

I think you should use it, especially if you're in University I don't see it being inappropriate. If a teenager can bring Prada and LV to highschool, you are totally find bringing a mono messenger to Uni.