Is it hypocritical to HATE fur bags, but LOVE leather ones?

Darker My Love

***** Lite
Dec 20, 2008
I've always viewed the two types as being exclusive.

My justification was that cows aren't killed just for their leather, they get turned into ribs, steaks, etcetera and so I slept a little better knowing that the leather wasn't all they were used for and the rest of their body discarded...

It really didn't hit me until I saw other versions of a bag I want.

This is the one I want, simple and understated.. :
cosmos-1.jpg

but here are 2 other versions offered of the same bag... in rabbit fur :sad:
4951243002_0.jpg

cosmos.jpg

It affected me so much that I'm considering not getting it because I don't want to fund a company that supports the slaughter of minks, rabbits, sables, and other small creatures. :tdown:

Then I wondered: how hypocritical is it for me to say that when almost ALL my purses (and I have quite a few) are leather? I like the durability, but ARE cows sometimes killed just for fashion?

Insight appreciated. Also, does anyone here own a fur purse? I never really seen it discussed here...

I grapple with this topic a lot, because I have been a strict vegetarian for 4 years, but I also love leather bags and shoes... I just justify it by conceding that I am not perfect, and I am doing what I can. I also would never ever buy a fur bag or anything with fur trim and I am a serious animal lover- I have 4 rescue animals as pets. As far as you not buying the leather version, that has to be a personal choice. Most high end brands have made bags with fur at some point, I think. You have to be comfortable with your choice!

It's not really hypocritical - I think most people do have a certain hierarchy of animals that are important - like cows would be at the bottom of the hierarchy of importance.

Don't forget there are quite a number of people who do depend on small animals like rabbits for food.

Personally, I carry leather bags and wear leather shoes but don't like the idea of wearing a leather coat/jacket or owning a leather couch.

i dont think its hypocritical at all. everyone has their own limits and values. to me, i honestly dont care. as long as it looks good, so be it. that will probably offend people, but :shrugs:.

It's not a problem for me, because I just don't like the feel of fur full stop. I can cope with sheepskin items but the feel of any other kind of fur on clothing or bags sets my teeth on edge (bit like scraping nails down a blackboard) for some reason.:shrugs:

It's not really hypocritical - I think most people do have a certain hierarchy of animals that are important - like cows would be at the bottom of the hierarchy of importance.

Don't forget there are quite a number of people who do depend on small animals like rabbits for food.

Personally, I carry leather bags and wear leather shoes but don't like the idea of wearing a leather coat/jacket or owning a leather couch.

I own a leather couch :sweatdrop: mostly because I don't want to deal with stains or smells!

Maybe it is a hierarchy issue. Wearing fur is like wearing human skin to me, but my purple leather jacket hardly stays in the closet..

pink_cow.jpg

Sorry Maisie!
Guess you don't really rank high in the scheme of things.. Love your cheese though! ;)

I think it's hypocritical. As long as you consume any animal products you can't judge the fur wearers. But, I think as long as you're not judgmental about fur, then you're not hypocritical. After years of struggling with this I'm finally trying to go vegan and the food part has been easy. Clothes, shoes and especially bags have been really hard though. I've fallen off the wagon once and it was for a bag. :shame:

Just be aware that there are many bags made of goat and lambskin as well(i.e. Fendi, Chanel, MJ, Hermes).
I have one fur item, it's vintage, so I don't feel responsible for franchising the fur industry. I do know that if I wear it, there are going to be people who have something negative to say..I guess it is a personal choice. I eat chicken and fish, too. I don't eat red meat, but that is because I don't like it. I love my cats, though :smile:.
So I would go with it is a tad bit hypocritical, but I certainly wouldn't hold it against anyone..this is the PF for goodness sake.

Good question. Personally, I wouldn't feel right wearing an animal that was killed solely for its fur and its other parts were not put to good use. I don't mind leather, and in fact, prefer leather bags, but as for fur, I just wouldn't feel right because I don't eat those animals.

Sometimes I feel there is a animal hierarchy according to "cuteness". Rabbits are fluffy and adorable when goats and cows are not quite. But I suppose I don't feel 100% hypocritical with being anti-fur while still using leather products; I don't refuse to support companies that use fur, I simply won't buy the products. It's not the company that's the problem but the demand for the product. If people don't buy fur then companies won't use fur, it's that simple.

I think we're all hypocritical on some level but I'm secure with my position on this. I wish I could stop eating meat but as long as I do consume beef and lamb I think it's okay for me to purchase leather products. Like you I don't enjoy the idea of killing an animal solely for the use of their skin in luxury items. My stance on fur is the same as mine with my aversion to snake and other "exotic" skins. It's not really how cute, fluffy or adorable an animal/reptile is but what it's being killed for. I can't justify the life of a creature strictly for my vanity.

Here's a little story that might help answer your concern:

Native Americans have a reverence for all of nature. They don't believe in killing anything needlessly. They do include buffalo meat as part of their diet. Their belief is that as long as none of the animal parts go to waste, it's acceptable for consumption/use. For instance, in addition to food, the hides are used to make clothing (& their homes, long ago). Typically, before killing anything (even a flower), they will say a prayer of thanksgiving for it. I learned this from a late shaman friend of mine.

The short answer is no; you're not being a hypocrite and yes; the two views are mutually exclusive.

I don't think its hypocritical at all. I just don't like fur. To me fur belongs on the animal. My mother has a lovely mink coat which is beautiful but I have just never liked fur.

I don't think it's hypocritical. We have to eat - granted, we don't have to eat
meat.....but we do consume it. The meat is not going to waste.
I don't believe in killing anything just for it's skin......

No fur is allowed in our house, well, except for what is on our spoiled
rotten cats that is.