Is it hard to get a Saks card?

sminmin99

Jul 11, 2014
Hi lovely TPFers!
I'm going to get a bag soon
If I open a saks card, I can get discounts and points, that sounds great!
But I'm kinda afraid I might get rejected, cause I only have one discover card which is only half years old and I barely use it
If I get rej, it might effect my credit score
Two of my friends tried in store and they both got rej
I think they have longer credit history and they use their card a lot
What do you guys think of it?
I could barely find any resources online.....

Hi lovely TPFers!
I'm going to get a bag soon
If I open a saks card, I can get discounts and points, that sounds great!
But I'm kinda afraid I might get rejected, cause I only have one discover card which is only half years old and I barely use it
If I get rej, it might effect my credit score
Two of my friends tried in store and they both got rej
I think they have longer credit history and they use their card a lot
What do you guys think of it?
I could barely find any resources online.....

Whether or not you get a card depends on your credit score mainly. Have you pulled one of the three and looked at it? If not, you should do so. By law you are entitled to one a year free. If you have a good score, chances are good that if your debt to income ration is low and you don't have any delinquencies, you might qualify (it also depends on your income). I don't think an inquiry by a store will affect your score much or for long, but you can also inquire about this with the credit bureau.

Any information or suggestions given do not represent that I'm a financial professional, and it's just general knowledge that I pass on. (standard disclaimer)

With only 6 months of credit history, I might wait to open a saks card. Build up your history a little more. I think with little history, your limit will be on the lower side anyway. Are your utilities/phone in your name? That helps to build up your history.

I think when you apply for a card, it's a hard pull (rather than a simple inquiry) meaning you are supposed to receive certain fcra (fair credit reporting act) disclosures. Tutu is right, you might want to look at your credit report (it's free; once per year).

Whether or not you get a card depends on your credit score mainly. Have you pulled one of the three and looked at it? If not, you should do so. By law you are entitled to one a year free. If you have a good score, chances are good that if your debt to income ration is low and you don't have any delinquencies, you might qualify (it also depends on your income). I don't think an inquiry by a store will affect your score much or for long, but you can also inquire about this with the credit bureau.

Any information or suggestions given do not represent that I'm a financial professional, and it's just general knowledge that I pass on. (standard disclaimer)
Hi Tutu! Thank you so much!
I've tried creditkarma.com to check my credit score
Is that website right? it's free all the time. Do you have any recommendations one the website?
I've tried 2 websites but I think the other one shows a little lower
It says the TransUnion credit score is 728, but my auto insurance score is low, does that effect?
Is my credit OK enough...?

Tutu shopper is right you should pull your credit to see how it is. Having a credit card for less then a year is probably not going to be enough to get a Saks card with a credit limit high enough for a Chanel bag IMO.
Hmmmmm OK
But if the credit limit is not enough, can I use my other cards and also get the points?
I really know nothing about American's credit cards lol
Thank you!

Hmmmmm OK
But if the credit limit is not enough, can I use my other cards and also get the points?
I really know nothing about American's credit cards lol
Thank you!
I would suggest using your current credit card more often and paying it on time. When I got my SAKS card (zillions of years ago) was an easy process. You may want to talk with a sales person at SAKS and ask for their opinion, SAs can be very helpful. Good luck getting your card.

Years ago I read that creditkarma wasn't all that accurate. It was like +/- 20 points off for many people. I believe you are entitled to your credit report once a year but the credit score has a fee. I haven't checked in a while so I could be totally wrong if there's a new law.

I don't think it's solely on your credit score but your history as well. My brother and I have very similar credit scores but I always get a higher credit limit or better interest rates.

+1 on suggestions to build up your credit a bit so you can get a higher limit. But if you really want to try it I don't think it would affect your score that much. Your score is affected regardless of approval.

OP, I would suggesting getting your credit score so that you know where you stand.

If your checking account is in good standing & you have a history with you bank this is also
good.

The only way to know for sure is to apply for the card. Go for it!! You may have
some restrictions in terms of the $ amount, but if you pay & continue to have a good
history, you can ask to have your line of credit raised.

There are also cc through banks like Visa with Chase, Citibank & other banks
Amazon has a credit card with Chase ( you can apply directly on line with Amazon)
& you will get a fast answer... Some of these cards also have "annual fees" so you
may want to ask.. Most department stores don't to the best of my knowledge,
but other cards do...

Good luck

Last edited:
OP, I would suggesting getting your credit score so that you know where you stand.

If your checking account is in good standing & you have a history with you bank this is also
good.

The only way to know for sure is to apply for the card. Go for it!! You may have
some restrictions in terms of the $ amount, but if you pay & continue to have a good
history, you can ask to have your line of credit raised.

There are also cc through banks like Visa with Chase, Citibank & other banks
Amazon has a credit card with Chase ( you can apply directly on line with Amazon)
& you will get a fast answer... Some of these cards also have "annual fees" so you
may want to ask.. Most department stores don't to the best of my knowledge,
but other cards do...

Good luck
Hi, thanks for your reply!!
Do you know where should I get my accurate credit score?
Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your reply!!
Do you know where should I get my accurate credit score?
Thank you!

Yes, you can contact Equifax, Experian & TransUnion

If for some reason you are denied a cc, I would suggest you start
to use the cc you already have so you can start to have a credit history
& look to increase your credit line over a period of time

When I opened my NM card, I was only given a $750 limit! Granted I am young and do not have much credit, but I do have two or three cards that I spend A LOT with and I always pay it off in full. They were able to up it to $1K when I called but that was the highest they would go for a new card owner. So if you're planning on buying something super expensive (Chanel, Celine, etc.) you may be able to charge only a small amount to the card. Good luck!