Is it hard/harder to get pregnant at 30? Or 35?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
    It seems like more and more of us are waiting to have kids these days.

Is it that hard to get pregnant at 30? Or 35? What about late 30s?

What about at, say, 37 or 38? Will you likely NOT get pregnant in the late 30s, unless you get IVF? Is naturally unlikely?

It seems hard to find real statistics on how fertility drops with age.

My question is for "natural" pregnancy... not IVF and other pricey or complex treatments that could "extend" fertility.

What are the reasonable, natural (non-IVF) childbearing ages these days? Is by 40 a "must" to have kids? Is 37/38 risky?

2. I think this is kinda hard to answer because every women's bodies are different. I for one couldn't get pregnant naturally (tried since I was 31). After treatments I got pregnant at 34.

In general I think your chance for natural pregnancy under 35 is pretty good as long as there are no underlying issues both from the male or female side.
    I've been always told after 35 your chances are decreasing immensely. By the time you are in late 30s, you are almost likely to receive treatments, but again it's case by case.

3. I agree with Glistenpearls that it depends on the individual, but I would also add that at 35 or over, the pregnancy is considered "high-risk". You're less likely to be able to carry the baby full-term or more likely to have complications with the pregnancy. It is true that there are an increasing number of women waiting until their mid-30s to have children though. That being said, I wouldn't recommend putting it off until then if you know you really want a kid.

4. I had to do IVF at age 29 to get pregnant. I have 2 kids. I'm glad I didn't wait until late 30s to try, it would have been less likely to work at my age now (38). I personally think a lot of women wait thinking they'll have no problem, yet they might.

5. Statistics will tell you your chances of conceiving naturally decrease as you get older but statistics only provide an average picture and some women will struggle to fall pregnant naturally in their early 20s and some women will fall pregnant with ease in their late 30s.

I fell pregnant the first month of trying aged 38, baby born perfectly healthy when I was 39. So I guess that makes me a statistical anomaly!

PinkTulip, Julide and arcaedia like this.
  6. Every woman is different. There are many women out there who have conceived their children naturally well into their mid- to late-fourties.

Statistics to say that it is harder to conceive a child after a certain age, but that doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

7. Well, I had my first daughter at 30. I'm 35 now and currently pregnant with #2. My husband and I got it on our first try after having Mirena IUD removed. I thought it would take much longer. I have a friend who is much younger and they have been trying for a year.

8. Statistics only reveal what the average is for the population. That means that some women have no difficulty becoming pregnant at 40, while others struggle in their late 20's. Averages tell you nothing about your body or whether you would have had difficulty conceiving in your mid-20's if you had tried becoming pregnant then.

Generally speaking, everyone's fertility declines with age; the question is when that begins to show clear effects on the odds of conceiving for each person. I have a friend who suffered terribly TTC and went on Clomid at 28. I had no difficulty conceiving at 33, and another friend just had a baby three weeks ago (she is 42). She says it took her 5 months of trying to get pregnant at 42. Clearly, she is an exception to the rule, but there you are; individual bodies don't always follow the rules.

You never know until you try, but on AVERAGE, yes, waiting until 40 is risky if you want to become pregnant without any medical intervention. Anything over age 35 is considered "high risk" because fetal abnormalities become more common with age (although rates are still quite low; they just sky rocket in comparison to a woman in her early 20's. A woman of 20 might face a 1 in 2000 odds of a child with chromosomal abnormalities, whereas a woman of 40 might face odds of 2 in 100. That is still only 2%, but is is astronomically higher odds than the 20 year old).

9. Every woman is different, where a 25yr old may require IVF, whereas a 40 year old may fall pregnant naturally. Age isnt always the barrier, but it certainly contributes.

I am currently 37. I have birth to my 16mth old son a couple of months short of 35. Prior to becoming pregnant I had an 'ovarian reserve test' done to check my 'egg' levels as I was contemplating holding off having a baby until I was 37.

My results came back as very low! My husband and I decided to cease contraception immediately, so I stopped my OCP mid cycle and waited for my period to arrive. The following month we 'actively' tried (I did the whole temp thing, acupuncture, herbs etc) and surprisingly fell pregnant that same month!

There is hope! But it all depends on the individual/s.

Grande Latte likes this.
  10. It really depends on the individual. I had my 1st son at 29. My other 5 boys were born after that. I haven't ever experienced difficulty getting pregnant. I have, however experienced some of the other challenges that go along with having children after 35 years old with my last 2 children. On the other hand, I have friends who started having fertility issues in their 20's. It just depends. Oh, remember that the father can have his own set of fertility issues too.

11. What everyone else has said. Also, I have friends who've had two batches of babies -- the first one or two in their late teens or 20s, then more in late 30s/40s -- and every one of them has told me that the second batch was extremely hard on them physically. The births tend to be more complicated, the pregnancies more difficult, babies more likely to be premature/have health issues... etc.

IMO if it's possible to start earlier, it's better to do so. Of course, that choice isn't available to everyone, but in theory younger is better.

ccbaggirl89 likes this.
  12. As everyone has said, everyone is different. And fertility issues are not only limited to women.

Some of my friends had fertility issues in their 20s, some in their 30s and a handful in their early 40s, so it just varies.

13. Right. However please remember that even though risks for certain birth defects increase with age, there are more children with certain abnormalities born to younger women simply because there are more younger women that have children as opposed to older ones.

14. #14 Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    As everyone has said everyone is very different, I would say only that it true, but even every pregnancy is different.

This is from the how long did it take you to conceive thread.

I just thought I would add that ironically my last baby, at 42 was by far my easiest pregnancy and delivery.

LadyInLA, nicole0612 and Julide like this.
  15. Wow!