Is it fading, dye rubing off, or oxydation?

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
So I bought three Bal in the last month. Totally addicited but I am a newbee. So sorry for all the questions.

I purchased an Anthra Besace and I clean it with AG cleaner/conditioner. I had no problem, the leather is soft and silky. LOVE IT.

I then bought a 06 Black Twiggy and 05 Indigo City from the same seller. I used the AG on the Indigo bottom and some dye transfered and I freaked. Then, I was told it is normal... what a relief.

But all of the three, my favorite is the 06 Twiggy. I did not clean it with AG because what happened to the Indigo.
I used it on and off for only one week. I rotate bags on twice a day, because during the day I use my LV and Kiplings with my kids, as they are more durable. I only used the Twiggy four times when I went out alone and carried by hand almost at all times. Now I see faint blue (a bit white) patches all over the bottom panel and edges of the panel. I posted some pics.

At first, I thought, maybe it was redye from a blue so the old color is showing off but experts on "identify..." said, it looks originally black. So what happen to my bag?
The "discoloration" isn't as apprent with out direct light but very noticable in florecent and daylight.
At certain angel, it looks really bad and from certain angel you can hardly see. There is no damage to the leather as I can see, it is still smooth no rubbing.

So what happened? The seller has kindly enough to offer refund but I'd love to salvage the bag because I do so love it.

Conni618

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
I have not seen anything like what you've experienced with your Twiggy.

Just tossing out some thoughts here....In the photos, the marks don't look like "rub" marks, or anything that has happened from pressure...but they do look to me, almost like something has bleached the leather. Especially since the marks are on the bottom, is it possible that the bag has been set down somewhere that had some kind of substance that might have removed color?

Also, a comment on your experience with AG. You say AG Cleaner/Conditioner. I do not use AG Cleaner on my bags because it is too harsh. Yet the Conditioner is excellent. Never has dulled or harmed in any way the lightest most fragile colors.

For Cleaner I use LMB's Botanical Cleanser. It is much safer than the AG Cleaner, and does a great job.

Since the blue marks look to me like color has been stripped, I don't think cleaning is going to help. If it were my bag, I'd probably consider first, a deep conditioning. If that didn't work to deepen the light spots, I'd either try it myself first, or send it to LMB for color matching, on the spotted areas only.

Or maybe leave it be, since it's on the bottom. Probably not visible to anyone but you. :amuse:

Good luck with whatever you decide. :heart:

LoveM&S

More Bags, Pleeease!
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
I have never seen this kind of flaws before. As Conni618 said it seem the color came off because of a harsh chemical thing was accidentally splashed there. Or some kind of lotion was stuck there. But if the lotion was stuck, you can rub them off easily.

It seems it is on the bottom and not very big. I would say just leave them like it, if it doesn't bother you a lot. I sent a bag to LMB before. They needed to do touch up some places of the bag. They said it was the hardest part to match the color. I appreciate their efforts, but I was not happy with the result. It was a light color bag and the places that needed touch up were the front and the sides. So, it's more easy to see places. The touch up parts looked very artificial. Your bag is black, so it won't be like it. But please keep it in mind, if you need to have it touch up.

I don't know if it helps. Someone did a great job to make her greenish black city back to a jet black. http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-care-and-maintenance/fading-black-bal-no-problem-608074.html

Good luck!

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
I have not seen anything like what you've experienced with your Twiggy.
To be honest, I did not exame the "bottom" of the bag all that carefully when I first recieved it. I did an glance for major flaws only. So it could have been there but I just did not see it. As it is very apparent in sun light but no as apparent indoors.

Just tossing out some thoughts here....In the photos, the marks don't look like "rub" marks, or anything that has happened from pressure...but they do look to me, almost like something has bleached the leather. Especially since the marks are on the bottom, is it possible that the bag has been set down somewhere that had some kind of substance that might have removed color?
I am super careful with my bags. I usually set my bags on my lap or on a chair. I never set it on the floor or shopping carts, or anything that is questionable. I haven't taken it to any where there should be harsh chemicals. My bags are not even allow in my laundry room because there is bleach.

Also, a comment on your experience with AG. You say AG Cleaner/Conditioner. I do not use AG Cleaner on my bags because it is too harsh. Yet the Conditioner is excellent. Never has dulled or harmed in any way the lightest most fragile colors.
I haven't used any product on the Black Twiggy because what happened to the Indigo Blue. I just checked. I only have AG conditioner, eventhough, I thought it was a cleaner and condition in one. But it says conditioner.

For Cleaner I use LMB's Botanical Cleanser. It is much safer than the AG Cleaner, and does a great job.
I am definately looking into LMB product, specially, they have an anti bacterial cleaner. I am too afraid to use babywipe on Bal (but I do with my LV canvas) because I don't want to dry out the leather.

Or maybe leave it be, since it's on the bottom. Probably not visible to anyone but you. :amuse:

Good luck with whatever you decide. :heart:
Thank you for the comment and support. The seller has sent the photo to Barbara from LMB and she was thinking of some sort of "striping/chemical" but I am just not sure HOW/when it happened.

I might have to carry a "drop cloth" in my bag from now on. So if I had to put it down, I will set it on the cloth. Things I do for my belove bags.

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
I have never seen this kind of flaws before. As Conni618 said it seem the color came off because of a harsh chemical thing was accidentally splashed there. Or some kind of lotion was stuck there. But if the lotion was stuck, you can rub them off easily.

It seems it is on the bottom and not very big. I would say just leave them like it, if it doesn't bother you a lot. I sent a bag to LMB before. They needed to do touch up some places of the bag. They said it was the hardest part to match the color. I appreciate their efforts, but I was not happy with the result. It was a light color bag and the places that needed touch up were the front and the sides. So, it's more easy to see places. The touch up parts looked very artificial. Your bag is black, so it won't be like it. But please keep it in mind, if you need to have it touch up.

I don't know if it helps. Someone did a great job to make her greenish black city back to a jet black. http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-care-and-maintenance/fading-black-bal-no-problem-608074.html

Good luck!
Thank you for the feedback. I read the same thread as I did a search before I started my own. So I had an idea that I have alternative and the bag isn't complete lost.

It really isn't very noticiable and probably doesn't warrant a LMB makeover. But I wanted to make sure it won't get worse or how to prevent it from getting worse.

It is a good lesson(s) to learn about Bal. I guess, that is why I started with pre loved bag vs. a brand new one. I probably would be tearing my hair out right now, if this were a brand, brand new, full price bag.

LoveM&S

More Bags, Pleeease!
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
It is a good lesson(s) to learn about Bal. I guess, that is why I started with pre loved bag vs. a brand new one. I probably would be tearing my hair out right now, if this were a brand, brand new, full price bag.
I do the same thing to buy a used one, when I am not sure if it works great as I expect. If the bag is great on me and functionally well for me, then I buy a brand new one!:P Please enjoy your Bals!

joy&lv

Obsessed
O.G.
Mar 20, 2009
Bay Area, California
I do the same thing to buy a used one, when I am not sure if it works great as I expect. If the bag is great on me and functionally well for me, then I buy a brand new one!:P Please enjoy your Bals!
I love the Twiggy and I think it is the perfect bag for me. I guess, I will wait until this one wear out and get a new one. Like it is ever going to be with all the bags I own.