Is It Ever Appropriate To Wear Black To A Wedding ?

I wore a black dress (sleeveless tunic style) to my cousin's wedding. It was definitely appropriate; it is not like I wore black tights, and witchy boots too...:P

Black is a formal color, if you are attending a formal wedding there is nothing wrong with wearing black.

i usually wear black to weddings. i don't think it's a faux pas anymore...except maybe for daytime summer weddings, but i'd still probably wear black. hubby calls me goth ninja because i wear black EVERYWHERE.

white/ivory on the otherhand is a no no, no matter the season or the time of day. let the bride wear white! :smile:

Maybe not to a Western style wedding, but I mean, for others black doesn't bear the same meaning. White is actually the colour associated with death in Chinese culture, so that would probably be one of the least favourable colours rather than black.

ayla said:
Maybe not to a Western style wedding, but I mean, for others black doesn't bear the same meaning. White is actually the colour associated with death in Chinese culture, so that would probably be one of the least favourable colours rather than black.
wow. good to know.

The last three weddings that I've been to, a lot of people wore black. They were all evening weddings (after 5pm), and relatively fancy. The bride's mother wore a lovely black dress in one of the weddings. I think it is definitely appropriate.

ayla said:
Yup, that and the number 4. I've wondered as a kid why there wasn't a room #4 and my mom told me why.

I think black is completely appropriate for a wedding. It can look a little odd in the middle of summer and out in a garden wedding. But I don't think of it as an inappropriate color. Whereas white and ivory would be definite no-no's.

i had a friend that wore white to my wedding!!

i actually would not have minded - i probably would not have even noticed because i was so busy that day, but the thing that irritated me is that 2 of my bridesmaids said she had consulted them whether or not she should wear it and they told her no and she wore it anyways!!! that's what bugged me!

amanda said:
if the wedding is evening and at all formal, i think it would be cruel to ban black! i know i'd probably wear at least some. and NO ONE but the bride should ever wear white to a wedding - that's the bride's color on the bride's day!

I agree to that. You could probably wear black to an evening wedding if the dress is short and girly. :wondering

I have yet to go to a wedding where someone is not wearing black. In fact, I have never even heard that you weren't supposed to?!?! So needless to say, yes I have worn black, and will continue to do so.

ayla said:

Thats really interesting, Thanks for posting.