Is It Ever Appropriate To Wear Black To A Wedding ?

I am attending a wedding in April and was just thinking about whether I could wear black. Great timing Pradasmeadow!

Based on my research on theknot.com, it seems to be okay to wear black to evening weddings. It was not highly recommended for daytime events. But personally, I wouldn't mind if someone wore black to my wedding.

if the wedding is evening and at all formal, i think it would be cruel to ban black! i know i'd probably wear at least some. and NO ONE but the bride should ever wear white to a wedding - that's the bride's color on the bride's day!

I think black is fine, esp. if it's a black tie wedding. But female guests should NEVER wear a white dress. That's disrespectful to the bride IMO.

(Oh, but in my experience, older Chinese seem to have a thing against wearing black to a wedding, so if you are attending a Chinese wedding, think twice about a black dress.)

I don't think the thing that matters is necessarily the colour you wear, but what you wear. Even if you wear a 'neutral' colour like baby blue, it's not okay if your dress absolutely screams for attention (read: overly sexy). IMO it's ok to wear black (even white) if what you're wearing is tasteful and appropriate for the occasion.

I have a wedding coming up next week and i was considering the same thing. I think black is fine to wear to weddings, but in the end i decided not to go with it as the LBD in question looked more suited to evening wear and its an afternoon in the country type of wedding. However i would NEVER wear white to a wedding even if the bride wasnt wearing it herself.

Last wedding in Italy, I wore a long lilac dress during the day (Church & drinks) and a long black dress with pearls (earring & necklace) during the evening. Got loads of compliments :biggrin:

(I love that black dress and I wore it to many weddings... obviously of people who don't know each other LOL :nuts: )

I think black is very elegant and simple for the evening, I wouldn't go for it during the day, though

Actually, I've seen several black bridesmaid dresses that I loved. I don't see an issue with that or even some of the guest wearing black. Now everyone wearing ALL black would be a bit depressing. :sad: :lol: