Is it cheaper to buy LV outside of the US?

Lara_11

Oct 7, 2015
I've bought many of my LV while traveling in Europe, mostly France since it's cheaper there due to tax. But I'm in New Zealand now where everything is much more expensive yet I walk into a Gucci store and a Dionysus mini supreme is $1700 NZ dollar duty free (about $1200 USD) when the same bag in the US is $1580 plus tax. How so? It's an import to both countries so I thought it would be more expensive or the same. Have you found that buying luxury outside of home (US) is cheaper? Seriously considering that bag now

I've bought many of my LV while traveling in Europe, mostly France since it's cheaper there due to tax. But I'm in New Zealand now where everything is much more expensive yet I walk into a Gucci store and a Dionysus mini supreme is $1700 NZ dollar duty free (about $1200 USD) when the same bag in the US is $1580 plus tax. How so? It's an import to both countries so I thought it would be more expensive or the same. Have you found that buying luxury outside of home (US) is cheaper? Seriously considering that bag now
Each country has its own import taxes, which can make a big difference.

You will find good deals in Germany or France. The price which you see in the European LV site is the actual price, the taxes are already included.

Last edited:
I just moved to Zurich and all my handbags got crushed in our air shipment, so I've been researching bags online. My humble experience is that bags are generally cheaper in Europe, but you would probably want to do some research just to make sure. When I compare Louis Vuitton prices in France with prices in the US, the savings are huge! And this is pre VAT tax refund.

Here are a few examples of some notes I had taken on some bags I liked (the bolded number is the price in France in dollars, according to the exchange rate yesterday).

If you fly back home to the US, you are eligible for a VAT refund (I think its around 15% after fees?), so the final price is even lower. Just be sure you manage your time at the airport - one year I brought some a Chanel bag and the flight was early, and the lines were already so long we didn't have time to get the form stamped so I had to drive to the French embassy in LA and beg them to stamp it after paying an extra fee. The other two years I had no problem, so it may be hit or miss.

FRANCE V. US

Pallas EUR 1800 ($2149)/ US $2550

City Steamer GM (grained) EUR 3000, MM EUR 2700 ($3581, $3223)/ US $4250, $3850 (Black/gold hardware)

Pont neuf (beige) GM 2500 ($2984) /US 3400

Montaigne GM 2580 ($3079)/ US 3500

Capucines MM 3950 ($4715)/ US 5600

Very tote GM 2500 ($2984) / US 3400

Neo Eole 55 (duffle bag) 1800 ($2149)/ US 2580

Ballerine Flirty 420 EUR ($501)/ US $555

Bracelet Monogram Keep it Twice 275 EUR ($328)/ US $405

Hope that helps! : )

Reactions: Mertsa