is it cheaper in france to buy dior or are the prices equivalent?

LVoeletters

only the best
O.G.
Aug 13, 2011
hey all, i'm just wondering if the prices stay constant from country to country, like if i converted the euro price of a bag to usd, its the same amount I'd be charged? wondering if i should wait till i have the chance to go to europe or if I should get it now.

I think generally bags are cheaper in Europe..
To wait or not depends on how long is the 'wait' as most of the 'premium' brand are in a race to see who can increase more in a year I feel.. The same 'cheaper' bag in Europe now may cost more one year later.. :sweatdrop:

Reactions: SherwoodMom
hey all, i'm just wondering if the prices stay constant from country to country, like if i converted the euro price of a bag to usd, its the same amount I'd be charged? wondering if i should wait till i have the chance to go to europe or if I should get it now.

in the end, you would probably pay less for a bag you buy in Europe than in the US. sure, prices are probably the equivalent when converted from Euros to USD, but with that in mind, I know that prices in Hong Kong are quite expensive because of paying for importing products from Paris. With you living outside of the EU, you end up paying the actual price in Euros and you can claim a tax refund as a tourist (all you need to do is ask your SA at the boutique for a tax refund, fill in a form and bring it to the customs office at the airport, get it stamped and either bring it to a currency converter shop at the airport or mail it back to the tax refund company). You end up getting back about 18% of the final price you pay in the EU, meaning it's probably at least 18% less you pay for your bag!

Reactions: SherwoodMom
Here is an example of the cost savings:

Price of Lady Dior in Medium Lambskin is 2200 Euros (November 2011)
Exchange rate 1.28 US Dollars/Euro
Cost without accounting for your credit card's foreign exchange rate = $2,816
VAT reduction of around 10% when you take away the processing fee: ~ $2,534

Price of the Lady Dior is the US is $3,100 and if you add sales tax it would be $3,355.75

Total savings will be around $821.75.

The exchange rate is very low right now so if you plan to go to Europe soon it will be best to wait to purchase in Europe. The US prices for the Lady Dior will also be increasing soon but the European prices have already seen an increase, I believe, so it will be stagnant for some time.

Here is an example of the cost savings:

Price of Lady Dior in Medium Lambskin is 2200 Euros (November 2011)
Exchange rate 1.28 US Dollars/Euro
Cost without accounting for your credit card's foreign exchange rate = $2,816
VAT reduction of around 10% when you take away the processing fee: ~ $2,534

Price of the Lady Dior is the US is $3,100 and if you add sales tax it would be $3,355.75

Total savings will be around $821.75.

The exchange rate is very low right now so if you plan to go to Europe soon it will be best to wait to purchase in Europe.

is that based on a recent purchase of yours? I could be wrong or it might have changed, but I was under the impression from reading information on another premier designer forum that the return of tax was about 18% after processing fees, but for the life of me can't find that information when I need it now! will hunt around for that info and post it here when I find it!

is that based on a recent purchase of yours? I could be wrong or it might have changed, but I was under the impression from reading information on another premier designer forum that the return of tax was about 18% after processing fees, but for the life of me can't find that information when I need it now! will hunt around for that info and post it here when I find it!

France has a VAT of 19% but tourist do not get the full 19%, actually about 14% to 16% because of the administration fee. Then the refund company will charge a fee to process the VAT and you will end up with about 10% generally depending on how you want to receive your refund (cash at the airport or refunded back to your credit card in 2 months).

My concern is also having to pay customs upon returning. You're only allow $800. You buy a bag Dior bag and have to claim how much you've spent. No one ever talks about this when factoring savings. Is it still worth it?