Workplace Is it better to Resign or be Fired?

She had a couple of interviews that did not amount to anything. She came so close and was invited back for a second interview at a facility where someone was retiring, but he ended up deciding not to retire. Her final PIP is coming up either this week or next where she thinks she will be let go.

Things have gotten worse. My sister has found out that my boss has been asking other coworkers to report back to her about what my sister is doing when she is not there. She found a list that one of the other employees wrote to give to the boss about her. Most of the stuff is petty like arrival times (she is not late), forgetting to lock the closet etc. This coworker(who according to my sister makes a ton of mistakes) is not my sisters' boss and my sister feels ganged up on and conspired against. There are other unfair things going on also, my sister is the only one made to run errands for the company on her day off, etc.

She is thinking about contacting a lawyer, but is afraid by doing this what repercussions this could have on her trying to get a job in the future. In her area most of the PT people know one another and if she would pursue a lawsuit, word gets around quick.

I do not know all the details and realize that it maybe hard to comment without them, but was wondering what experiences others may have in bringing a lawsuit against an employer. I imagine it must be difficult emotionally and wonder if in the long run it is worth it.

Updates? I have no experience in this, but your sis should really think hard about hiring a lawyer. Particularly in a field or area where the people know each other relatively intimately, word can travel fast and your sis probably doesn't want to be known as "the girl who sued her employer". Even if she's justified, she may still be labeled as that regardless of how good she is. And lawyers are expensive and she may lose her case...

Wow I wish the best for her. I have about 2 1/2 weeks and I'm sure they will let me go. He gives work that should be sent to me to the temp. I document everything. He says good things about my work in the meetings so I just make note. I have been on some interviews and something will come.

Updates? Hope everything's going well.

Hi guys,

I know that it's best to document, document and document your discussions with HR and your supervisor but wanted to ask what is the best way to go about doing it is. Is it best to e-mail or should you just write down the information in a journal or notebook? Would you recommend doing both? How should you base your decision on the proper documenting technique.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi guys,

I know that it's best to document, document and document your discussions with HR and your supervisor but wanted to ask what is the best way to go about doing it is. Is it best to e-mail or should you just write down the information in a journal or notebook? Would you recommend doing both? How should you base your decision on the proper documenting technique.

Thanks in advance for your input.

E-mail, imo. That way you have the exact words that came/went. Writing down is good for actions done (I typically make lists of issues I have with specific examples) but an e-mail will be documented evidence that can't be tagged as hearsay. I print off all e-mails; at my company, we don't even have a "sent" folder so before I e-mail my boss something I'll print off a copy, and you never know if something will magically disappear from your work inbox if an issue comes up.

athena21 said:
E-mail, imo. That way you have the exact words that came/went. Writing down is good for actions done (I typically make lists of issues I have with specific examples) but an e-mail will be documented evidence that can't be tagged as hearsay. I print off all e-mails; at my company, we don't even have a "sent" folder so before I e-mail my boss something I'll print off a copy, and you never know if something will magically disappear from your work inbox if an issue comes up.

Bcc'ing yourself would also be a good option!

Completely agree about using email as a way to document

Thanks for the answers.

I was wondering what you should do in the event that you are asked to come to meet with the your supervisor and HR member for an investigation. Naturally, you are at a disadvantage since they have 2 witnesses and you are just one. At the meeting, should you take down notes on a notepad and then send both of the members a follow up e-mail after the meeting while bccing yourself? What if they pin an allegation on you and you are not sure what the outcome would be, should you still send them an e-mail documenting the conversation in case if they take disciplinary action on you in the future and you need to appeal your case? I've been burnt twice where I've been disciplined for false allegations and I waited till they gave me the outcome. I just don't want to end up in a similar situation again and want to learn how to protect myself. I hate being disciplined, it shatters my confidence to pieces :sad: I also give in when I'm in an investigation feeling guilty about stuff and admitting to things I shouldn't be.

So, no need to use a journal at all then and best to use email to document discussions with both hr and supervisor or just supervisor alone? The premise being that e-mail is date and time stamped whereas journal can be constructed after the fact, right?

From my experience, the HR person tells me that they are documenting our discussion yet they don't e-mail me the copy of notes. I think they e-mail the rest of the management the notes but don't e-mail the employee perhaps so that they don't give the employee the evidence. Can I do something similar by telling them that I'm documenting as well and emailing myself a note of the discussion? .

Thanks

pr1nc355 said:
Updates? Hope everything's going well.

Hi! Thanks for the follow up. I post from the app and I don think it shows notifications for this.

The review went fine. They told me they saw improvement and my manager told me I was doing great and to expectations. So i still had a job.

I actually just resigned after finding another job. When resigning in the email hr told me to let them know anything they can do so I'll stay. When finalizing plan of exit my manager asked me why I am leaving and said with the ups and downs they were sorry to see me go. The VP says the same. After 4 years they are sorry to see me go and like to keep good people. It was as if he was oblivious. I'm not sure if he thought or forgot all he put me through. It was quite obvious why I was leaving.

Afterwards while finalizing and transitioning my manager did many contradicting things. He told me if I didn't finish a model they were going to withhold my pay but 1 hour before says it doesn't matter if complete or not. This was my last day in the office.

Initially I argued to stay to finish my model which he was hesitant bc I wasn't "supposed" to be working. Smh. I'm glad that is behind me. I cannot deal with these people and this type of negativity and stress. After everything I'm glad to be gone from that company.

Funny both my manager and vp tell me to keep in touch and visit. And to let them know if I ever need anything. Man idk at all.

Couture, so late to this, but congrats on finding the new job. I think the weird behavior came at the last-minute cuz your old company realized that it would be unproductive to try to recruit and train new staff when they had you who was doing a good job and had already shown loyalty. I hope that you're doing well at your new job and that you're finding it more pleasant than your last one.

Now what happened to OP's sister?

Thanks for the answers.

I was wondering what you should do in the event that you are asked to come to meet with the your supervisor and HR member for an investigation. Naturally, you are at a disadvantage since they have 2 witnesses and you are just one. At the meeting, should you take down notes on a notepad and then send both of the members a follow up e-mail after the meeting while bccing yourself? What if they pin an allegation on you and you are not sure what the outcome would be, should you still send them an e-mail documenting the conversation in case if they take disciplinary action on you in the future and you need to appeal your case? I've been burnt twice where I've been disciplined for false allegations and I waited till they gave me the outcome. I just don't want to end up in a similar situation again and want to learn how to protect myself. I hate being disciplined, it shatters my confidence to pieces :sad: I also give in when I'm in an investigation feeling guilty about stuff and admitting to things I shouldn't be.

So, no need to use a journal at all then and best to use email to document discussions with both hr and supervisor or just supervisor alone? The premise being that e-mail is date and time stamped whereas journal can be constructed after the fact, right?

From my experience, the HR person tells me that they are documenting our discussion yet they don't e-mail me the copy of notes. I think they e-mail the rest of the management the notes but don't e-mail the employee perhaps so that they don't give the employee the evidence. Can I do something similar by telling them that I'm documenting as well and emailing myself a note of the discussion? .

Thanks

I'd give my .02 here, but wanting to know if there are updates (I know it's been a while).

Hi! Thanks for the follow up. I post from the app and I don think it shows notifications for this.

The review went fine. They told me they saw improvement and my manager told me I was doing great and to expectations. So i still had a job.

I actually just resigned after finding another job. When resigning in the email hr told me to let them know anything they can do so I'll stay. When finalizing plan of exit my manager asked me why I am leaving and said with the ups and downs they were sorry to see me go. The VP says the same. After 4 years they are sorry to see me go and like to keep good people. It was as if he was oblivious. I'm not sure if he thought or forgot all he put me through. It was quite obvious why I was leaving.

Afterwards while finalizing and transitioning my manager did many contradicting things. He told me if I didn't finish a model they were going to withhold my pay but 1 hour before says it doesn't matter if complete or not. This was my last day in the office.

Initially I argued to stay to finish my model which he was hesitant bc I wasn't "supposed" to be working. Smh. I'm glad that is behind me. I cannot deal with these people and this type of negativity and stress. After everything I'm glad to be gone from that company.

Funny both my manager and vp tell me to keep in touch and visit. And to let them know if I ever need anything. Man idk at all.

i am glad you left that bipolar place....GL with you new job!!