Workplace Is it better to Resign or be Fired?

my friend used to work for the unemployment office and she handled the cases and decided if people got it or not. oh the stories she would tell me!!
and don't piss off your case worker, they will deny you for being an idiot.

Not sure that your friend should really be telling you this kind of stuff since it's probably confidential (and frowned upon to deny someone unemployment because the caseworker doesn't like them)! :smile:

But, like the other posters have said, anyone who thinks they are being unfairly terminated should document, both for unemployment compensation purposes, as well as if the employee wants to bring litigation in the future. It is much easier to prove a case when you have documentation to support your claims, as you may be able to use that documentation to negate an employer's claim that the termination was for performance reasons.

Not sure that your friend should really be telling you this kind of stuff since it's probably confidential (and frowned upon to deny someone unemployment because the caseworker doesn't like them)! :smile:

But, like the other posters have said, anyone who thinks they are being unfairly terminated should document, both for unemployment compensation purposes, as well as if the employee wants to bring litigation in the future. It is much easier to prove a case when you have documentation to support your claims, as you may be able to use that documentation to negate an employer's claim that the termination was for performance reasons.

oh i know. but i'm just putting it out there that being an a-hole to your case worker is not good. whether or not is frowned upon, it does happen (which is why you can appeal the decision) just like if you were to go in front of a judge, you're better off to win your case if you're nice and polite. they will throw the book at you if you irritate them enough, even though they're suppose to be fair also.

and my friend no longer works there. i miss the stories.

PIPs are just documentation by an employer that puts something in writing so they can more easily fire an employee. They always have "goals" in them that are either so vague or impossible to quantify that they cannot be met. Once you're the recipient of a PIP, start looking for a new job immediately.

oh i know. but i'm just putting it out there that being an a-hole to your case worker is not good. whether or not is frowned upon, it does happen (which is why you can appeal the decision) just like if you were to go in front of a judge, you're better off to win your case if you're nice and polite. they will throw the book at you if you irritate them enough, even though they're suppose to be fair also.

and my friend no longer works there. i miss the stories.

Agreed! :smile:

PIPs are just documentation by an employer that puts something in writing so they can more easily fire an employee. They always have "goals" in them that are either so vague or impossible to quantify that they cannot be met. Once you're the recipient of a PIP, start looking for a new job immediately.

True. Although PIPs are supposed to include objective criteria where it is easily ascertainable whether an employee has met the PIP or not, most of the time it includes subjective criteria, where it is up to the manager to decide whether the employee met the criteria. This then gives the employer justification on their own terms to fire an employee.

Yes exactly! This comes as no surprise. We just had a formalized review process now we have hr. The basis of all of our issues stems from the fact my boss is upset that I was promoted by the vp without his knowledge. I was promoted this year and since then he's been gunning for me.

I was looking before briefly but I always got swamped at work so I couldn't focus completely on it.

I document everything in email. Feedback and anything he says. He actually told me not to write things down because it "takes too much time". Lol I know what you're doing.

If I am not let go I will be surprised. I will fight them for unemployment. I will have all emails printed and i am making a file. Though I would rather shove their plan back to their face to quit first but hey!

I have an interview tomorrow afternoon I will leave work early for and Friday morning. I'm just pushing and things will be ok. Stress of my back of 9 months. Wish me luck! :smile:

francot1 said:
Sorry to hear about your situation. My sister has not found a job yet and is probably on her last week.

On Friday a close friend of mine who works in a medical office got a PIP.
Years ago, you never heard about a PIP, now it seems like many companies are using them. Does anyone know why a PIP is used quite often now? Is it to prevent the employee from suing the company for wrongful dismissal, or to try and get the employee to quit?

I'm so sorry about your sister. Hugs.

I'm keeping my head up high and she should too. Any news? Jobs or anything else? I hope for good things for her :smile:

lorihmatthews said:

Thanks for this. In the pip it said I needed to improve my productivity as he was not aware of what I do during the day. Doesn't ask or seem to care until that point even with me initializing contact most of the time. Keep in mind we sit across from each other. this guy doesn't ribose how to effectively lead and this was one of my gripes with him. You should be a boss instead f acting so lax with things. Mini rant over.

Also there was not formal action plan in the meeting. We both had to come to an "agreement" and even then this was not in writing. I had to send an email of this to him and the hr person. This lets me know it's bull.

Also says in meeting "so in the future..." I know what you're plans are ultimately. Smh.

Yes exactly! This comes as no surprise. We just had a formalized review process now we have hr. The basis of all of our issues stems from the fact my boss is upset that I was promoted by the vp without his knowledge. I was promoted this year and since then he's been gunning for me.

I was looking before briefly but I always got swamped at work so I couldn't focus completely on it.

I document everything in email. Feedback and anything he says. He actually told me not to write things down because it "takes too much time". Lol I know what you're doing.

If I am not let go I will be surprised. I will fight them for unemployment. I will have all emails printed and i am making a file. Though I would rather shove their plan back to their face to quit first but hey!

I have an interview tomorrow afternoon I will leave work early for and Friday morning. I'm just pushing and things will be ok. Stress of my back of 9 months. Wish me luck! :smile:

keep my fingers crossed for you...:smile: GL!!
just make sure you can download/transfer those email to your personal space so if you can't ever access to your work email...you'll still have evidence...someone told me that.

just make sure you can download/transfer those email to your personal space so if you can't ever access to your work email...you'll still have evidence...someone told me that.

Very good advice. Print copies of any documentation you want to keep, and you can always email a copy to yourself as well. Just be cautious that you aren't taking anything that would violate any confidentiality agreement you may have with the company, any trade secret information, etc., unless you really need it, because that becomes a mess to deal with later on.

I'm so sorry about your sister. Hugs.

I'm keeping my head up high and she should too. Any news? Jobs or anything else? I hope for good things for her :smile:

She had a couple of interviews that did not amount to anything. She came so close and was invited back for a second interview at a facility where someone was retiring, but he ended up deciding not to retire. Her final PIP is coming up either this week or next where she thinks she will be let go.

Things have gotten worse. My sister has found out that my boss has been asking other coworkers to report back to her about what my sister is doing when she is not there. She found a list that one of the other employees wrote to give to the boss about her. Most of the stuff is petty like arrival times (she is not late), forgetting to lock the closet etc. This coworker(who according to my sister makes a ton of mistakes) is not my sisters' boss and my sister feels ganged up on and conspired against. There are other unfair things going on also, my sister is the only one made to run errands for the company on her day off, etc.

She is thinking about contacting a lawyer, but is afraid by doing this what repercussions this could have on her trying to get a job in the future. In her area most of the PT people know one another and if she would pursue a lawsuit, word gets around quick.

I do not know all the details and realize that it maybe hard to comment without them, but was wondering what experiences others may have in bringing a lawsuit against an employer. I imagine it must be difficult emotionally and wonder if in the long run it is worth it.

Wow I wish the best for her. I have about 2 1/2 weeks and I'm sure they will let me go. He gives work that should be sent to me to the temp. I document everything. He says good things about my work in the meetings so I just make note. I have been on some interviews and something will come.

that's so weird at another job I had pip stood for year end bonus, based on certain terms e.g. you must have worked at least 1000 hours to qualify, etc

but it would be a % of your year's salary.

what does pip stand for when in regards to your termination?

I remember I quit bank of america (1455 market, they sold the building to Honeywell) and I did so because I could see the work being less, and pretty much figured they would be downsizing and restructuring so that they can substain fiascos like countrywide,

a month or so later they sent me a package saying I qualify for unemployment?!