Is Gucci a luxury brand???

darkknight11

LVholic
Apr 21, 2009
i totally lvoe LV and gucci,they are my 2 favs! but lately i have been reading and hearing alot about how gucci is just 'another regular' brand,cause it has huge markdowns and every second person owns a gucci!!

will u ever buy a gucci paying full amount? well i dont cause i know it will go on sale sooner or later!

i have the boston and the quality compared to LV speedy is not very good.

infact my husband tells me dont buy anymore gucci,there is nothing unique about it,rather pay a lil more and buy an LV.And i kinda do agree!!

i lvoe gucci accessories,but i dun see my self buying anymore of gucci bags!! i am waiting to buy a gucci belt,BUT,will wait for the sales!!

this is totally my opinion! do share your opinions!

This is the Gucci forum.

I'll buy a new Gucci if I want or carry on enjoying the ones I have already.

Mine are FAR superior to any new LV or Chanel.

When CC or LV up their quality I might be tempted to buy from them instead when looking for a new bag

For the LV forum press forum jump.:supacool:

I'd just like to apologise to LV and CC TPFers for this post. I love both brands, own both brands, just was dissapointed that my poss LV/CC model choices did not live not up to my expectations this year but if you knew the quality of high end Gucci bags even my Boston ...:shame: anyway, sorry.

Last edited:
Gucci has been around for a long, long time and is considered to be a premier luxury designer, with a world-wide following. As a lover and owner of many designers, Gucci being one of my top 5, I haven't noticed any quality flaws, however, I buy mostly leather or exotic bags. I do find that when I carry my Gucci's, they seem to get wonderful compliments, the kind of compliments that are respectful of the brand itself, as well as the design/look.
Most high end designers are faked, and it seems the logo bags are the most faked, unfortunately. LV has some beautiful bags and I currently own 2 LV's. So, I think it really just comes down to personal preference, and that's what makes this forum so great, that each brand lover has their home.

BTW darkknight11 I see you're the one looking for a new Gucci belt from DSW. So You must stll consider the brand worth buying 'into'. You know there are some very nice unbranded well made belts for the same price as Gucci DSW.

Unfortunately all belts are prob all sold out by now due to such high demand from people who love the brand but who A can't usually afford it. B Like a little extra goody to add to their family Gucci or C. Are opportunists who want to make a killing on ebay from Gucci lovers.

See thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/dsw-sale-not-good-for-guccis-brand-image-493888.html

It's virtually the same ?

I don't know about every second person owning a Gucci. I appear to be one of the few who carry it in a sea of Coach, KVZ, Guess and LV bags. I don't have anything against those brands - I own a Coach bag and there is one LV bag I would like to get (once I can get my hands on a Goyard bag out of the way). I haven't seen anyone carrying the same boston bag as me in Toronto as well and that's a huge busy city. I see a speedy or a neverfull on every teen and grandmother though. Nothing wrong with that either.

You have to think - the only thing that matters is whether you like the style of the bag. Unless if you're some kind of snob who only wants to seek out other people's approval, then immerse yourself in the brand that you perceive can give you this "luxury".

The question "Is Gucci a luxury brand?" is an asinine question, almost as asinine as the one in the handbag forum "What do you think of coach?"

^

Woooaah GhstDreamer, i thought insults were not welcomed on tPF...your post is a bit harsh, no?

and for sure Gucci is a luxury brand and have gorgeous bags

I wasn't insulting darkknight at all. If I did then I do apologize.
I just thought the thread was pointless. There is already a very similar thread in this forum.

GhstDreamer, I know what you mean about not seeing every second person carrying Gucci. Pretty much everyone I see around here is carrying either Coach or LV and there's nothing wrong with that. I like having something different from everyone else, I even have a few Coach's myself. I've looked at LV, but I've never really been a big fan, although I did like the camoflauge line they did not too long ago.

I used to be into LV for many years and had quite a collection. But just a few years ago, I watched as LV's quality started to go down hill. Their monogram canvas is much thinner than it used to be, and much of the hardware on LV bags is now just brass plated, when it used to be solid brass. To me LV is no longer much of a luxury brand now, but that's just my personal opinion. The few LV bags that I do still own have the heavier canvas and brass hw, but the stuff they churn out now does not compare to better quality bags they used to make. Even the vachetta leather they use now is much thinner and skimpier!

I am new to Gucci, having just bought 2 bags in the past few months. I have a Pelham tote and a Babouska hobo in crystal fabric. These bags look very well made to me, and the details on the Babouska are amazing. However, I do not have any Gucci from years ago to compare them to.

As for whether Gucci is seen as a luxury brand, I do believe it is. I don't mind that "they" had a sale at DSW. If I can get a bag I wanted on sale, I'd be thrilled. I've seen Balenciaga bags on sale too (I think it was on the online shopping site Rue La La), and I don't think it hurt their image at all. Chanel also goes on sale, and they are a fashion power house. I don't think a sale hurts the image of a bag, or a brand. But I do think when a brand lowers their quality standards (as I feel LV has done), that hurts their image.

i totally lvoe LV and gucci,they are my 2 favs! but lately i have been reading and hearing alot about how gucci is just 'another regular' brand,cause it has huge markdowns and every second person owns a gucci!!

will u ever buy a gucci paying full amount? well i dont cause i know it will go on sale sooner or later!

i have the boston and the quality compared to LV speedy is not very good.

infact my husband tells me dont buy anymore gucci,there is nothing unique about it,rather pay a lil more and buy an LV.And i kinda do agree!!

i lvoe gucci accessories,but i dun see my self buying anymore of gucci bags!! i am waiting to buy a gucci belt,BUT,will wait for the sales!!

this is totally my opinion! do share your opinions!

tPF lists the Gucci forum under the "Premier" Designer category. I'll just leave it at that.:smile:

I agree with u all Gucci they kinda cheap and getting down to the normal market everyday. I rather buy LV or others that r not popular but LUXARY for example Alexander Mcqueen etc ^^

RAy

I haven't owned anything Gucci for a long time, but I do think that Gucci & Coach have hurt themselves by pushing so much to the sale/outlets. I may be one of the few to say that I do not consider Gucci a "luxury" brand - at least not the same way that I consider Hermes or Chanel a luxury brand. To me, Gucci seems too obtainable to be total luxury. I will also say that I don't think Louis Vuitton has much going for it anymore, either, considering many of their bags seem like they were made in the same warehouse as Target brand bags (I have had issues with both of my Damier Neverfulls). On the flip-side, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the quality of Coach bags & would purchase exclusively through Coach if their designs weren't so mass produced.