Is fashion important?

Arachne911

O.G.
Jul 12, 2009
I know it is important to me and most of us here because we enjoy it. Why do you think it is important in general? In society? I was thinking of doing a 6 page research paper on it but I have a few other topics in mind but I thought I would get some opinions here.

I see it as a creative outlet, sometimes art, sometimes just a hobby. It can be a form of self-expression. It says, "This is how I want you to see me." It could also say, "I don't care." Or maybe, "I don't know how I'm supposed to dress." Or, "I don't want you to notice me."

It's also a way people judge you. Which is not as bad as it sounds, because as animals we judge who is approachable and who is not. We tend to be more comfortable around people who are like ourselves. Fashion is a way of bonding with others in that sense.

I personally like fashion because since I enjoy looking at it, I also think others enjoy looking at a thoughtful outfit that I wear. I don't look like a model, but everyone enjoys a little eye candy even if it is just clothes and accessories. It makes life more interesting. Especially if it is something they have not seen before. That is why trends become so popular - because you get tired of seeing the same thing presented in the same way over and over again.

If you watch "What Not To Wear" they give a lot of insight as to why fashion is important. Especially when it comes to achieving certain goals by using your wardrobe as a tool.

I know there are a lot of people who think fashion is a waste of time but I still remember the first time I ever walked into a Neiman Marcus store and saw the beautiful clothes. I am a stay at home mom so I don't dress nice every day or anything but when I do, I enjoy it. I see clothing as art and I appreciate fine quality of really nice clothing.

i think fashion is very personal in a sense.
one aspect it's a casual form of art, it's an outlet of one's artistic side or creative side.
another aspect it's some sort of social status, from the old times, fashion was a clear definition of social status, the color, the fabric, the more refine the more high status the person belonged.
nowadays, some people still follow that chain of thought and some want to break away.

i think either you believe fashion is important or not, it creates the image of ourselves, of how we want people to perceive us.

It depends what you mean by fashion

Clothes and style should be important, transient trnds less so

Image is inescapable, so those that realise that are more practiced by the time it really matters

Where do I begin? Fashion is everything. It's an art form and a conversation starter and can help people feel good about themselves so easily. It also seems to get you some good attention at times and makes people whether it's your boss, peers, friends, etc to notice you and see that you take pride in looking good.

I'll say it - no, it's not important. If I stopped thinking about clothes I would still have a meaningful life with meaningful relationships. But you could say that of a lot of things.

Does it make a difference? Yes. In how people perceive me in terms of personality, status, creativity - yes, but without it I think we'd all manage to still convey those things.

To some people fashion is not important at all.
They just buy clothes to keep them warm in winter for example.
They prefer to spend their money on airlines tickets or rare books.....
I can understand that.

Let's say fashion is among all other things a way of self expression... Hence there are so many ways to do it : couture , casual, rock , punk , formal , elegant, sporty, goth or
Mix and match ...
Now yes it is very trivial and won't solve
Problems of the world ... But it creates happiness most especially in women and is a way of escapism from the more " important " problems the world face ...
It is a billion dollar business that's pushed further on
By all the hype, media, business moguls, marketing, fashion shows, etc
It's a fun world and partaking in it should be fine and everybody's welcome ...
But then there's the extreme ends of it as well...too serious to care about dressing up vs
Too much of it ( Guinness and Anna del Russo ) and I respect and
Like them all after all it's an art and I appreciate how it's presented !

To me clothes are more than something fashionable. The only time we were unclothed was the time we were born. After that we are swaddled and covered and then in different clothes reflecting the age we are at, our ever evolving tastes and trends till the day we lie in a coffin. Even in death we will be clothed and much care is taken by our loved ones on our final outfit.

What we wear reflect who we are, in certain cases - our professions eg.nun, fireman, soldier, doctor, priest. What we are thinking at the moment, our aspirations, our inspirations; our musical preferences, religion and so much more.

Clothes and fashion is history. Wartime colours and boomtime fashions, hippie clothes and flapper dresses, Victorian dresses and regency silks.

Fashion also features in politics, today's royalty and First Ladies to slightly more disastrous sartorial indulgences by say Marie Antoinette.

I can go on for days on this topic and tirelessly so in short ;) clothes may not important to some but definitely significant to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: najse22