Is exercising 2x/week better than not exercising at all?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I posted this in the Weight Loss Challenge, but figured more people would see it here. . . .

I've been paying $110 per month for the past 2 years for a gym membership I don't use. It hurts to say that out loud.

I'm trying to convince myself to give it one more shot, but what's holding me back is I keep thinking that working out twice per week may not be any more useful than spending that 2 hours on the couch (or walking around a mall).

There is one class that I can tolerate without wanting to kill myself and that is my only shot. It is pointless to try to convince myself I'll do more. I've been on this planet for 47 years now, I am what I am. I've tried a gazillion different things to exercise and I just hate it all - indoor, outdoor, formal, not-formal, whatever.

Ironically I used to be a fitness instructor at the Y and a dancer (ballet and jazz) when I was in my 20's - and I went from that to hating every second of it.

So my question is this - is there any point/benefit to working out twice per week only (2 one hour cardio/strenghthening classes), or is that just pointless? If it's pointless I'm willing to accept my life as a couch (and mall) potato.

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has some expertise in the world of fitness. And trust me, I am aware of the benefits of exercise, yadda, yadda, yadda. I just want to know if there is a point in going twice per week or not. In my mind it's 3 x/wk or nothing, and nothing is what I've been doing.

THANKS!!

2. I'm not an expert, but I think 2x a week is better than nothing. I don't think that 2x a week is worth that money though, I would probably either do something you can pay as you go, like yoga, or just do DVDs at home.

3. ^^ +1 any work out is better than nothing.

when i started losing weight in january i was walking about 4-5 days a week. then about march-april i got super lazy and was only doing it once a week. even though i got really lazy... even though i was at least doing SOMETHING i lost like a pound a week.

then i got super lazy and didn't do anything for a few months and now i'm back to where i started and it's frustrating.

i've been told and read that even if all you do is 20 min of something (like walking) that's really all you need.

do you have any other alternatives than the gym?? i can't buy a gym membership, i wouldn't use it. i find parks to walk at and i also have a treadmill that i'm forcing myself to use.
    what helps me with my treadmill is that i found a set up to where i can have my laptop with me so i can be on tpf or play solitare while i'm walking my 3 miles lol

4. exercise 2x per week is ALWAYS better than none at all!

5. Of course twice a week is better than not at all. Why not try talking to someone at your gym for recommendations of other ways to 'exercise' that you might enjoy.

6. Hi Chrissy - I posted over in the weight loss thread but re-reading your separate post here, I gotta be honest - it sounds like you are really trying to convince yourself that you will go to the gym. And at least for me, that doesn't work. I think you will find it really easy to talk yourself out of it and it does cost money. I like the gym which is why I go and once I get to a reasonable level of fitness, I like exercise.

So... while I am not suggesting doing NO exercise, why not do something like walking or something you like? There is a lot of hype about how much you HAVE to do and so much pressure to look a certain way. I think it is OK to accept yourself as you are and accept you don't like high intensity exercise. If you hate walking, then I recommend trying listening to an audiobook while you walk, take your DH or a friend. I think it's important to get out and do SOMETHING, so try finding a way you can do it.

It really does sound like the gym is not for you so I say don't keep wasting your money.
    It's OK to be who you are and do things your own way.

7. I feel kind of embarrassed to say this because I feel like I'm some kind of freak, but walking doesn't do it for me either. I find it quite a bore no matter who I'm with. The only time I enjoyed walking was when I was in Paris - I walked for 8 hours a day and never grew tired of it. I'm not a "nature nut" by any means and I feel like a complete weirdo for saying this, but I find it really dull (nature). I'm more of a big city girl (but not living in one) and would be much more excited to walk around Paris or NYC as opposed to gardens, trails and parks.

I've been struggling with this forever. I've spent thousands on personal training in the past because it was the only way I would exercise - if I HAD to show up at someone's studio for one:one training 3 times a week. But that is freaking expensive, and I just didn't find it was worth it and my last trainer said she didn't want to take my money any more for something I was obviously not enjoying at all, so she kind of fired me.

I wish I had the discipline of some people. I had a friend who used to work out at the gym 5-6 days a week and never ate a carb. I always marvelled at her discipline. She said she hated it all too, but couldn't stand the thought of the alternative. I think I'm finally starting to be happy with the alternative - having on 10 pounds more than I would like. Thankfully it's only 10.

But I recognize the health benefits of exercise, which is why I wondered if doing 2 hours per week was better than nothing - not even thinking about the weight loss aspect of it - just the health benefit.

8. Why not exercise on the weights and cardio machines instead of taking a class? I've been a member of my local Y for about 5 years now and have never taken a class. I'm not a "take a class" kind of gal. I would compare myself too much to everyone else in the class and that is not a good thing. I vastly prefer working out on my own. I do my weights first and then hit one of the cardio machines with my Ipod and a good book. Oh, and I can only work out 2X's a week because of my 8 year old's school schedule.

9. LOL I totally agree with you on that.
    As motivation to go to the gym.. if you can afford it, have you considered signing up with a trainer? Not only do you get motivation to go to the gym [you have an appointment] but you get someone who can help you excercise. Or maybe signing up for an exercise class they offer?
    Good luck!

10. Chrissy - sounds like you are at peace with who you are so that's GREAT. Not many people are. I think you need regular trips to Paris, Rome etc to keep you walking around :nuts: But seriously, sounds like you'd be better saving for a holiday like that than wasting more on a trainer.

If you really will go to the gym, then yes, 2x week is definitely better than nothing. I find your attitude really refreshing, your honesty about who you are and what you can do is really admirable. I read some threads about counting carbs/protein/fat and just think "NOT ME, NO WAY". Just being happy with yourself and accepting yourself is a huge milestone IMO.

11. Of course any exercise is better than none, but it seems like a waste of money to pay that much to work out 2x a week. It also seems like you have a lot of excuses and aren't interested in changing, so why even ask? Just don't go at all if you really don't want to!

12. Thanks for the supportive and helpful post. I think you are right - I feel like I am OK with where I'm at right now. I'm a middle aged woman with 10 more pounds on than I would like - big deal. Every year when I get my physical done I have perfect blood tests results, normal BP, normal cholesterol, normal resting heart rate -no health issues - and that is the most important thing.

If there is one good thing about getting older it's that you do tend to start to accept yourself and your imperfections. This year has been a particularly big eye opener for me. I don't find myself comparing myself to other women (esp. celebs) as much as I used to. I just tell myself I'm 47 years old now and I'm not going to have the same body I had when I was 20, and that's OK. :biggrin:

13. Crissy I think 2x a weeks is better than nothing for sure. I try to walk for 20 minutes 3x a week and run/ treadmill as much as I can but in the last few weeks that has been not very often. I am considering a gym membership in January because I can get one really cheap through work.

14. I think as you get older it's not so much a question of how much you weigh or getting in to the skinny jeans again but more about staying healthy enough to avoid all the dr. visits that start cropping up more and more often! When I broke my wrist 6 mos. ago I really started working out to try and regain my strength so that maybe when I'm in my 60's and 70's I won't be so susceptible to breaks. Then I noticed that I was starting to get stiffer and not as flexible and the things that I used to do so easily weren't that easy anymore. Which made me want to get moving as much as possible to prevent all these things that happen as we age. I don't want to be dependent on drs. or my DH to have to take care of me when I'm older. It was a hugh motivation for me. I think that you do have to force yourself to do somethings that you don't really want to do. It's your body, you only get one and wait until you get into your 50's it really does start to do strange things if you let it.

my point is, yes, if 2x a week is all you will do for yourself then do it! any little bit of movement is better than sitting on a couch letting everything harden up inside you. I wish that I had been more disciplined earlier but I'm making up for it now. And the payoff is that you will feel great when it's over. Find something you like, there has to be something, and if not, pretend!

15. Sure it is..but it's better to work out at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes each time, imo...