Is everyone into Designer bags?

Finding the right bag I really really like is not that easy for me even with the designer bags. I like good quality bags and bags with beautiful design. I like the look of classic and elegant in the bags but I also I like it if the bag has a touch of modern with it. Etienne Aigner and Gucci (am I spelling it right?) were my first designer bags I liked and I owned. The Aigner (The "A") was very big in my country at the time (about 20 something years ago..). And I got quite of few of them still in my closets. Some are still in a great shape and beautiful. I don't know why and how in U.S. you can buy Aigner's bag from Dillard and their prices are very affordable? At my time you go to the Aigner boutique just like gucci or vuitton to buy their purses. And of course their prices are as expensive as Gucci or Vuitton. Anyway I don't buy Aigner anymore because it is very common and I don't know their quality anymore. Also in Asia we love designer bags and designer clothes. People are fashionable and they love to dress nice even when they only go shopping in the mall. We used to live in Singapore and Singapore is the heaven for the people who love to shop. And whenever I go shopping, I love to watch the people and see what they wearing. What am I doing here??? I am like writing the story of my life? I am sorry guys I got carry away..he he it brought back the memory of the good old days. Yep. I love the designer bags also I like the way I feel when I wear it. Just love it and LOVE it and once you are in love with the designer bags, you will be in love forever! You will be addicted!

divina_lucilla said:
i bought a gucci shopper and after a short time one handle broke...terrible! gucci's quality is terrible now.

Yes, I have been questioning the quality of Gucci bags for some time now. I guess this is a testament that an expensive label does not necessarily mean quality...all the time.

I am becoming to realize that price is based on name first and quality is second. Funny thing, it seems like every darn designer (like for example shoe designer Jimmy Choo) wants to make bags now. I think if you started out making bags (such as Coach), the better quality the bag will be because they know all there is about making great quality bags versus someone who started off making shoes.

you are quite right, but at least jimmy choo's bags are of good quality and have particular designs. the sales woman at darel's store in rome (where i bought my black charlotte) told me that she worked for gucci and she says the quality is not worth the price. luckily i have only 3 gucci bags (2 arerpesents, i bought only the shopper) and now they are my cousin's...she is 14 and i guess she doesnt care much about quality, she is just happy to have some gucci stuff. i think borbonese and bottega veneta have the best quality.

I like classic and timeless bags. I tend to buy the "IT" bags from LV, Chanel, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, Chloe and Balenciaga and consider these as investment.... Hey you can always sell these when one day you need money, right?

Also, one day I like to pass these to my daughters...or nieces...or daugther-in-laws...if they are nice!! ha..ha..

Okay, do not laugh!

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=597&CatID=30061&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0cf806e&ProdSeq=3&Cat=better+leather&Dep=&PCat=&PCatID=28730&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=17&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28730&RefDeptID=597

I purchased this bag a few months ago with a gc I had. It is awesome! I own 3 Coach bags and quite frankly this purse is right up there with quality. The purse is not sold in their stores; it came right from the manufacturer. I get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

I buy strictly based on design and quality. So while I have my share of designer bags, I also have bags from indie and up-and-coming designers (Gerard Darel drape, Anna Corinna city tote). Plus, I never use my Fendi spy or Balenciaga moto bags in inclement weather, so I have "slumming bags" that look nice too (for example, Banana Republic Kempton pocket shoulder).

Becca4277 said:
Okay, do not laugh!

http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/Products.aspx?DeptID=597&CatID=30061&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=G&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=0cf806e&ProdSeq=3&Cat=better+leather&Dep=&PCat=&PCatID=28730&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=17&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0&RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=28730&RefDeptID=597

I purchased this bag a few months ago with a gc I had. It is awesome! I own 3 Coach bags and quite frankly this purse is right up there with quality. The purse is not sold in their stores; it came right from the manufacturer. I get compliments on it whenever I wear it.

Cute bag!

In this forum, most probably most are. Only bec. its difficult to discuss "no name" brands without the item right in front of your face. So what you get are those who find this place bec. they are looking for certain name brand handbags. But that doesn't mean that that the mass population of women out there only cares about designer brands. In fact, I would venture to guess, most do not. Mostly because like someone said, everyone has their "vice." Sure there will be those that love handbags, but there will be just as many of those who prefer jewelry, clothes, shoes, books, antiques,cars, collectibles...etc. This happens to be a forum for handbags, therefore, you will have the die-hard handbag lovers here. BUT even so, I think there are those in here who can appreciate the non-designer handbags as well.

I for one, love everything fashion related, jewelry, clothes, handbags etc. Because handbags is not my one and only vice, I don't spend all my $ on expensive designer handbags. I do, admittedly, have a few. But I also have many, many, many non-designer handbags. Just like I have a lot of diamond jewelry, but can appreciate "fun" jewelry as well. I chose my bags like I do anything. If it looks good, I like it, and I can afford it. I buy it. :smile:

PS Out of all my handbags, designer and non, the ONE bag I get the most compliments on believe it or not, is a $7.00 flea market find. It's not the best quality (but I wear my handbags according to my outfits, so none of them get a lot of wear and tear) but it sure is pretty and boy does it get noticed. :smile:

Gia said:
In this forum, most probably most are. Only bec. its difficult to discuss "no name" brands without the item right in front of your face. So what you get are those who find this place bec. they are looking for certain name brand handbags. But that doesn't mean that that the mass population of women out there only cares about designer brands. In fact, I would venture to guess, most do not. Mostly because like someone said, everyone has their "vice." Sure there will be those that love handbags, but there will be just as many of those who prefer jewelry, clothes, shoes, books, antiques,cars, collectibles...etc. This happens to be a forum for handbags, therefore, you will have the die-hard handbag lovers here. BUT even so, I think there are those in here who can appreciate the non-designer handbags as well.

I for one, love everything fashion related, jewelry, clothes, handbags etc. Because handbags is not my one and only vice, I don't spend all my $ on expensive designer handbags. I do, admittedly, have a few. But I also have many, many, many non-designer handbags. Just like I have a lot of diamond jewelry, but can appreciate "fun" jewelry as well. I chose my bags like I do anything. If it looks good, I like it, and I can afford it. I buy it. :smile:

PS Out of all my handbags, designer and non, the ONE bag I get the most compliments on believe it or not, is a $7.00 flea market find. It's not the best quality (but I wear my handbags according to my outfits, so none of them get a lot of wear and tear) but it sure is pretty and boy does it get noticed. :smile:

Good answer!!:idea:

i prefer designer bags over non-designer. i agree about the quality being fabulous and i usually like the designs better. i know my family could afford more if my mom didn't spend money on everything and knew how to save...but she doesn't so i'm saving my own money.

I mostly have non higher end designers. I think my most expensive is my summer Charm Dooney & Burke. Other than that I stick with the style and color, and price. I have my eye on a few pricey items, although my wallet doesn't go along with my eyes.

I've never been one to go for an item for its name only. The style always catches me first. Truth be told there are a few higher end designers that people love (I won't say any names here for fear of being lynched!) but I think the bags are UGLY! Then there are some higher end ones I love but probably will never be able to afford.

Maybe if I had money to spend on it, I would be more into buying designer. For me my love of purses isn't exactly related to who made it. I spend my money more on electronics, and food. (I love going to Ethnic restaurants, Greek, Panamanian, Caribbean.....)

I buy both. If I like a bag, I'll buy it. I don't necessarily care about the price tag. I do love quality bags though and bags with a history of quality aka. LV. I carried my white patten leather handbag from Gap today b/c I like the bag. It cost me $20.

depends...I like high quality stuff but most of my bags lately have been organic hemp (I went through a serious hippie phase) and then random finds from other countries...I have a beaded bag that I bought in Buenos Aires and a straw purse that my sister brought me from Mozambique...but now I've moved into a 'gotta have something desirable' phase and am saving up for something big. haven't decided what yet.
The It bag on this forum still seems to be the Paddington. I don't want one, the lock turns me off. I haul around a 12 pound laptop case every day at school...I don't need a purse that's any weightier than it has to be...I don't really like skinny tassels too much either (eg the le dix), I think it looks insect-y...and I'm not into fringe...I'm going to be picky if I'm dropping a month's salary on a bag...haha.