Is David Yurman worth it?

Thanks for the responses everyone!! I really appreciate it! I'm still torn on whether I should get one or not just because I don't even wear any of my Tiffany pieces anymore... However, I do like DY pieces. I've gone in and tried several pieces and do love how classic and timeless thy look. I like how it feels more substantial and seems to fit a more "mature" demographic versus my Tiffany pieces. But 500-700$ is definitely something to think about!!

I'm thinking between these two pieces... What do you all think? Should I try and buy from eBay or buy brand new for my first piece?

I would definitely go the eBay route (as long as you know it is authentic) because should you sell it you already bought it at a discounted price so it should not be as hard to recoup your money tied up in it.

The thing about buying jewelry or for that manner, just about any accessory, is that a person's taste can change over time. There is an element of trial and error in any purchase: stuff can look appealing and desirable for months or years and then, all of a sudden, it looks blah compared to new designs that are out on the market.

Sometimes ebay has great buys for jewelry where the seller just wants to flip it and move on. Yurman has been collected so much over the years that it's possible to get a really great deal without paying full retail.

Omg definitely worth it!! I have four rings, a bracelet, a watch, earrings.... They stand behind their products too. Ive gotten my watch fixed twice at no cost to me. My original piece is four years old and it looks like i just bought it. Its expensive, esp for silver, but it has character and destinction. Good luck deciding.

Thanks for the responses everyone!! I really appreciate it! I'm still torn on whether I should get one or not just because I don't even wear any of my Tiffany pieces anymore... However, I do like DY pieces. I've gone in and tried several pieces and do love how classic and timeless thy look. I like how it feels more substantial and seems to fit a more "mature" demographic versus my Tiffany pieces. But 500-700$ is definitely something to think about!!

I'm thinking between these two pieces... What do you all think? Should I try and buy from eBay or buy brand new for my first piece?

I love Yurman and I have the buckle bracelet (5mm) in silver with the gold buckle and while it's gorgeous it's my least favorite piece because it snags on everything. I've had to get the buckle part bent back into place numerous times because it snags and causes it to bend and I've only had it two years. I also don't have big wrists but find it an absolute pain to open and close to get on and off. It's a gorgeous piece and if you're okay with the potential snagging, I would say go for it. It's a classic. But if you want a classic bracelet that doesn't snag, in that price range you could always get one of his 5mm or 7mm classic cable bracelets.

Reactions: USCGirlie
I think he does great work and I could see myself wearing a couple of his designs. But I can't say that it's my favorite - I prefer Jennifer Meyer, Cartier, and Pomellato

Oh, dear... You had to mention Jennifer Meyer! :love:

Personally, I loved David Yurman a few years ago when his designs were very popular. However, I do think they've lost their place in today's idea of "on-trend" and very few of the people I know who own DY pieces actually wear them. In today's market, I would say that it's not worth it.

BUT... I do agree that whatever makes YOU happy and is worth it to YOU is all that matters! If you absolutely love a piece (or several) and would regret not purchasing them, by all means purchase them!! It really depends on what you will wear and how much you will love them.

Now... off to have another look at Jennifer Meyer's mommy and lowercase letter necklaces!! :biggrin: Thanks, Greentea!

Oh, dear... You had to mention Jennifer Meyer! :love:

Personally, I loved David Yurman a few years ago when his designs were very popular. However, I do think they've lost their place in today's idea of "on-trend" and very few of the people I know who own DY pieces actually wear them. In today's market, I would say that it's not worth it.

BUT... I do agree that whatever makes YOU happy and is worth it to YOU is all that matters! If you absolutely love a piece (or several) and would regret not purchasing them, by all means purchase them!! It really depends on what you will wear and how much you will love them.

Now... off to have another look at Jennifer Meyer's mommy and lowercase letter necklaces!! :biggrin: Thanks, Greentea!

OOps - sorry to enable! Some of her stuff is really $$$$ but the designs are so fun. I have the yg arrow pendant with bead chain. Love it

OOps - sorry to enable! Some of her stuff is really $$$$ but the designs are so fun. I have the yg arrow pendant with bead chain. Love it

No, no... It's a GOOD thing! I've been looking for a necklace to wear daily (and I have a thread about it here on TPF asking for suggestions) and I haven't come up with anything that I absolutely love or must have until you mentioned Jennifer Meyer. And then I remembered the Lowercase Letter necklace, etc. and that they might be just what I'm looking for! :hugs:

Thank you!

I agree they aren't trendy anymore but I think they are classic and I prefer them over Tiffany sterling. I have that bracelet in the photo on the left and it is a pain to get on and off but I wear it all the time and its never snagged anything.

I like those designers mentioned but I feel like they are reedy vs classic/timeless. It really depends on your taste.

I have to say no, not worth it. Wish I hadn't bought any.I feel like I paid gold prices for silver.

In the "Totally Worth it/Totally Not Worth it" thread, there were quite a few posters saying that DY wasn't worth it in the long run.

I love DY but have never paid retail, I go to the NYC sample sales or the woodbury outlet
His pieces are very pricey but also classic, I'd say if you can find something you love on eBay or thru a reseller it's worth it!

I have the buckle bracelet you are looking at and have never experienced snags. It's a fun look and a great layering piece.

I also have several DY pieces that I've collected over the last 6 years or so. Necklaces, earrings and bracelets - and I still wear them years later. I find the designs to be quite classic if you pick the right pieces for you.

I was looking around and found these two authentic pieces. One is the 5mm buckle bracelet I like and another is a 7mm classic cable. To those who have both or either one (style wise), is there anything you can tell me, good or bad with either styles?

Also, is it easy to reshape the bracelet if they get out of shape due to wear and tear? Will DY do this for free or not?

Attachments

• image-798276239.jpg
    image-798276239.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,024
  • image-170118236.jpg
    image-170118236.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 2,049
When you buy David Yurman (and John Hardy and Tiffany and Lagos, and...) you are paying gold prices for silver jewelry. The designs straddle the sporty/professional line, and when people see it, they tend to recognize that it is expensive.
If you love it, and will wear it, it is worth it.

That being said, I sold off a third of my Yurman jewelry in the last year, keeping only a few pairs of earrings. It wasn't worth it to me, any more.