Is constantly walking into a store trying to get a black K with no purchase history a waste of time?

DanBags

Jul 24, 2019
Hello everyone, hope you're all doing great!
I do not have a purchase history and do not plan on building one. I really like their stuff (especially some watches), but I don't have the money to build a 7~12k quota. I live near a store (I still need to drive there) and I have time to go there every week. Would you say that it's a waste of time to go there every week to see if a SA lets me buy a black K? I live in Miami.
I know people say it's very unlikely to get without a purchase history, but since I haven't seen people go to the same store for months, I decided to ask here.
Thank you in advance.

I do not have a purchase history and do not plan on building one. I really like their stuff (especially some watches), but I don't have the money to build a 7~12k quota. I live near a store (I still need to drive there) and I have time to go there every week. Would you say that it's a waste of time to go there every week to see if a SA lets me buy a black K? I live in Miami.
I know people say it's very unlikely to get without a purchase history, but since I haven't seen people go to the same store for months, I decided to ask here.
Thank you in advance.

It's not impossible if you don't mind the larger sizes... but chances are still quite remote. Black Kelly's are always very popular and considered a timeless classic.

Have you considered going via a reseller? Although you pay a premium, it'll be considerably less than any pre-spend required at an H store and you can pick your exact specifications.

Reactions: keodi and DanBags
Thank you in advance.

To be honest, yes it is unlikely without a purchase history or a sense of rapport with a particular SA there. I think you kind of know that already. But the good news is, there really isn't a strict quota of 7-12k either. Browse around, learn about the craftsmanship of other items and see if a few other things appeal to you. Your best route to a store bought b or k is developing an interest in the brand as a whole and establishing a rapport regardless of pre spend. Remember, there are lots of us here who don't have unlimited budgets and yet we still can build a successful relationship at H. Harassing various SA's on a weekly basis isn't likely to yield the result you are looking for. There is a robust resale market too if you really only want a bag. Good luck on your search!

It's not impossible if you don't mind the larger sizes... but chances are still quite remote. Black Kelly's are always very popular and considered a timeless classic.

Have you considered going via a reseller? Although you pay a premium, it'll be considerably less than any pre-spend required at an H store and you can pick your exact specifications.
Oh, I don't usually carry many things with me, so getting a large size wouldn't be a great idea. There are two problems with getting through a reseller: I'm worried about getting a fake (even though chances are slim, it's not impossible) and I love the feeling of opening a brand new bag. This bag would be a life event and getting one that I purchased myself is a very big deal. If it was "just another bag" I wouldn't mind that much.

Thank you!

To be honest, yes it is unlikely without a purchase history or a sense of rapport with a particular SA there. I think you kind of know that already. But the good news is, there really isn't a strict quota of 7-12k either. Browse around, learn about the craftsmanship of other items and see if a few other things appeal to you. Your best route to a store bought b or k is developing an interest in the brand as a whole and establishing a rapport regardless of pre spend. Remember, there are lots of us here who don't have unlimited budgets and yet we still can build a successful relationship at H. Harassing various SA's on a weekly basis isn't likely to yield the result you are looking for. There is a robust resale market too if you really only want a bag. Good luck on your search!

Thank you for your honesty!. I considered buying a variety of products (bracelets, shoes, necklaces, belts) but looks like most of the items do not qualify for the quota. I really didn't see showing up every week as harassment. My idea was to hope to get lucky with a SA, buy something with them and show up every week to see them specifically and maybe have a chit-chat. And of course, I don't want to be obnoxious. If I get the feeling that they are not into it, I stop going there only to check for the K.
I considered the second-hand market, but the big thing about this purchase would be getting a brand new bag. It's very specific to this purchase though, I don't really mind trying on different situations.

Again, thanks for the help :smile: !

Reactions: keodi
There are a lot of threads on how to get a Kelly or Birkin. One of the first things you will see reiterated is that Hermès prefers to sell to folks who show a love for the brand overall as opposed to just asking for a coveted bag.

I don't know who told you the items you mention do not help with purchase history....just about everything except quota bags helps to some extent. Furniture, RTW, homewares, and fine jewelry seem to be big movers - that's anecdotal.

Why not drop in and shop and let the SA you connect with best know your dream is a black Kelly? I don't know about asking every single week. That might get tiring.

Good luck!

Thank you for your honesty!. I considered buying a variety of products (bracelets, shoes, necklaces, belts) but looks like most of the items do not qualify for the quota. I really didn't see showing up every week as harassment. My idea was to hope to get lucky with a SA, buy something with them and show up every week to see them specifically and maybe have a chit-chat. And of course, I don't want to be obnoxious. If I get the feeling that they are not into it, I stop going there only to check for the K.
I considered the second-hand market, but the big thing about this purchase would be getting a brand new bag. It's very specific to this purchase though, I don't really mind trying on different situations.

I know a lot of people have posted about what does and does not "quality for the quota." I have never experienced such a quota requirement. I think that H wants to see a well-rounded customer, who buys various items.

Edited to add: I see that QF has posted essentially the same thing in her answer (at the same time as I posted). Great minds....

Well a lot of depends on the location, size you want and demand from other customers but i got my K32 in etoupe after buying: wallet, 1 other bag, enamel bracelet, CDC, Kelly dog bracelet, small wallet for my husband (also had some spend in another location but doubt it counts and it was the same categories). Mind: no gold, no diamonds, no RTW, no shoes.

Reactions: DanBags
It is plausible to be offered a Kelly without a big bucks purchase history. I know I have been.
It is in the realm of possibility to be offered a Kelly by dropping in as an unknown customer in a big city store, or in the Paris flagship by appointment, or as a first time lucky, unlikely as it may be.
But getting offered a small size black Kelly by hanging around at your local store every single week without ever purchasing as much as a perfume bottle? I don't think so.

I think it would be a hard task if you would take any Kelly without a size or color preference. It is not possible to get a kelly in black and small size just but going in saying hi. Have you considered FSH? I think you will get a higher chance getting closer to what you need just by walking in.

I don’t know about Miami but I didn’t spend 1 to 1 or buy any RTW/fine jewelries/home stuff before my first offer. Granted it was a b30.

Reactions: DanBags
Thank you in advance.
You can always try. We know that there are no hard and fast rules with H. Buy something you like (doesn't have to be 7-12K worth of goodies) and talk to the SA politely. If you feel the "connection", ask about the Kelly you are looking for. There is no harm in trying.

Last edited:
If you plan to go into the store to buy something every week, then that definitely helps. But please don't go in to just chat with SAs on a regular basis. They are there to make sales as their living after all. While being a nice & knowledgeable person might start up well but if nothing leading to purchases then you are just wasting their and your time. Buying the products you listed definitely will help your profile. Good luck!

Thank you in advance.

Lolol! Oh who knows? Why the heck not? Go for it. Be yourself, be authentic, be sincere. Sometimes if you’re just plain lucky and likable, people will move mountains to help you. Life is freakin’ crazy sometimes. Please report back when you are successful. :balloon:

Last edited: