Is Coach Popularity Declining?

Designer_Love

Coach & LV Addict
Apr 16, 2009
I have started noticing that the popularity of Coach bags more so the boutique bags seems to be on the decline. When I’m out I never see boutique bags only MFF bags, and I see those everywhere. When I went to the boutique a week before Christmas I was the only person in there shopping, it was dead as can be. All of the SAs was just standing around with nothing to do. After we left the boutique I walked around the mall and noticed there was no shopping bags from Coach to be seen. I also notice that there isn't as much activity as what there was at one time here on the Coach board. Hardly anyone posts much anymore, and I see very few reveals and questions asked. I wonder what is causing this? Economy maybe? Or is Coach bags especially the boutique bags falling out of favor with people for some reason? Anyone else noticing this?

I will be completely honest and say that I'm not in love with all the bags that Coach is making right now. The Isabelle, duffles, a few Poppy and of course the high end bags are the only things that I'm interested in at the moment. The new legacy look is not for everyone, not me for sure. I love that Coach brought them back but I hate that it's SO much of the store. It feels so 'Wives With Beehives' when I walk into the Coach store now. The outlets are still busy! I still see women coming out of there with arm loads of bags. So I don't think it's completely the economy. I personally feel like its because the look of their bags are different. I prefer FP over MFF and it's a personal preference. I buy small odds and ends from outlets but never my bags. I'm just waiting for the next line that's more me and I think a lot of people are doing the same.

I think everything goes through phases. Coach has had the Legacy line out for a while now and I have a few pieces with no desire for anymore. I think once the Fall line comes out, things will change. They are releasing new styles and it should bring more excitement.

That's my two cents :smile:

I think some of it is the economy. I rarely see anyone carrying FP bags, even older styles, pre-Legacy. I see a lot of MFF. I go into my FP store during the week, in the mornings, so I am usually the only one there, but that is more that it is a low traffic time.

I went into my FP store yesterday mid-afternoon and it was busy. The SA remembered me by my first name (I haven't been in since before Christmas), and mentioned she was getting ready to call me about the PCE. I thought that was pretty awesome customer service. I think all brands go through phases, and I think forum boards go through phases also.

I went into my FP store yesterday mid-afternoon and it was busy. The SA remembered me by my first name (I haven't been in since before Christmas), and mentioned she was getting ready to call me about the PCE. I thought that was pretty awesome customer service. I think all brands go through phases, and I think forum boards go through phases also.

This is true too! They remember my kids and I've had them call me and ask if they should hold anything for me during a PCE. The SA's are awesome and why I love Coach so very much.

I think the reason there are way more MFF bags out there is just that the average customer either doesn't realize or doesn't care about the difference between FP and MFF. So they go to the outlet because it's cheaper but they still are getting a quality bag that will last them a while. And most of the time they get siggy because to most people that IS Coach. I think there are a lot of people out there (some of my family members included) who just aren't interested in the legacy stuff because it doesn't scream Coach. I do see some FP bags, but usually the styles I see are the ones that have already hit the outlet. It is very rare that I go into the FP store or to the Coach counter at Dillards and actually see someone buying something (or even browsing). But, let's face it, although Coach is not as expensive as LV or some other brands, they are still in the $300-$400 range. That is way more than most are willing to spend on a bag, even if they aren't hurting from the economy. Not everyone is as nutty over bags as we are. :smile:

(And, just to be clear, I'm not putting down MFF or siggy stuff. I've owned/currently own both MFF and signature bags.)

I personally haven't been buying much from Coach lately because I'm not a fan of the Legacy line. I love Madison bags, and really wish Coach would come out with more styles in that collection. It just seems like they are bombarding customers with the Legacy line. For those that love that style, it is great, but it is disappointing for those that prefer other styles. Just my opinion :smile:.

I have a Coach Rory in the Ocelot that I love. I would love one in Cognac.. will hopefully come back in stock soon! When I purchased this one I was the only one in the store, which I thought was odd. I think maybe the prices are keeping people away. I was at a Coach Retail Store in a mall. Lovely bags. I wanted to get a few more!!

Last edited:
I live so close to an outlet that I rarely see FP bags. Before I found this board I had no idea of all the different coach nuances and I bet most don't. They want a bag that screams "designer" with the logo. I only see the logo bags out and about locally. The wrentham outlet is crazy busy ( lots of people of chinese nationality in there all the time buying armfuls of bags-literally. Not sure where they are coming from as Wrentham isn't near a major travel hub). The FP store I went to last week was dead. I'm sure the economy isn't helping either. Also, the Macys near hear, where many shop, is very Dooney and MK heavy so I see more of those.

Another thing, department stores have pretty awesome sales. When I bought my first Isabelle, it made me a little upset to see it at Dillard's for $90 off less than a week later. I think we all want nice things but we also want to be smart shoppers. I LOVE the experience of buying my new bag from Coach and knowing that my SA will take care of any problem that I may have. BUT that experience is not worth $90 more than what others pay for the same bag somewhere else.

MFF bags have become so commonplace that I will never carry one. I see them everywhere. I only carry FB leather bags now and am seriously considering switching to another designer. And some of those MFF bags are pretty ugly, IMO.

I live pretty close to an outlet so I see a lot of MFF bags. I am always surprised and pleased when I see someone carrying a FP bag. It doesn't happen very often. I think a lot of people want to carry a Coach bag but don't want to or simply can't afford to spend a lot of money on them. When I do see someone carrying an expensive bag it's usually LV. I see a ton of those around. So much so that I don't even wan to carry my LV speedy because it seems like everyone has the exact same bag. I like that my FP Coach bags stand out and are different. :smile:

I live so close to an outlet that I rarely see FP bags. Before I found this board I had no idea of all the different coach nuances and I bet most don't. They want a bag that screams "designer" with the logo. I only see the logo bags out and about locally. The wrentham outlet is crazy busy ( lots of people of chinese nationality in there all the time buying armfuls of bags-literally. Not sure where they are coming from as Wrentham isn't near a major travel hub). The FP store I went to last week was dead. I'm sure the economy isn't helping either. Also, the Macys near hear, where many shop, is very Dooney and MK heavy so I see more of those.

I think Wrentham is close enough to Boston, with a good selection of items, for the droves of people to visit. Have you seen the bus loads?? :graucho: lol...

Funny you mention this...I have yet to see one person on the street carrying any of the new Legacy...hmmm. But then again I am not a fan....I think the big thing are the Coach Factory stores popping up everywhere and people are thinking they are getting the real deal (boutique). Coach is Coach and is even better when they think they are getting a MFF that "retails" for $398 for $125