Is Coach becoming too pedestrian?

I read an article about this, in it they said that coach is becoming too mainstream,as well as other designers and eventually they said it would be so popular, that i don't know like no one would want it because it was too easy to get..you know what I mean? any way,I think it's probably true, coach has become very popular these past few years, but i think it's still relatively hard to get these bags, i mean like not everyone can get it...it's not like they sell them at walmart or anything but i also think that it won't happen for awhile, i think that coach will i don't know, like prevent it from happening or something like that:shrugs:

We live in a college town and there is a coach outlet close by, so we see lots of Coach in our area, but mostly signature stuff. I like the sig stuff and have some but carry more legacy because I love leather and it is more distinctive.

I've actually seen the same thing with LV. LV makes some gorgeous bags and I love mine, but it does seem that they're everywhere. I think part of the problem is that both brands are faked so much that it contributes to the issue of feeling that you see more.

I think you should just carry what you love. If you love the bag, take her out. If not, choose something else. I will say that I love the fact that Coach makes styles that are more accessible to people b/c I'm a firm believer that every woman deserves to carry a great bag!:P

Yes, I think Coach has become very mainstream. I remember about 5 years ago having dinner with a girlfriend who had a new Coach bag and I gasped!!! I thought it was so stunning and exclusive!

Then, I think two things happened: Coach started manufacturing in China - and it became really accessible. I see Coach everywhere now. I mean everywhere. I even have two of them myself - and while I really really like them - they're not my "special" bags.

I think that this is why brands like LV and Chanel keep their product hard to get - and they keep raising their prices. I guess it's difficult to maintain that air of 'exclusivity'.

Don't get me wrong - I do like Coach - this is just my opinion. My $.02!!!

I read an article about this, in it they said that coach is becoming too mainstream,as well as other designers and eventually they said it would be so popular, that i don't know like no one would want it because it was too easy to get..you know what I mean? any way,I think it's probably true, coach has become very popular these past few years, but i think it's still relatively hard to get these bags, i mean like not everyone can get it...it's not like they sell them at walmart or anything but i also think that it won't happen for awhile, i think that coach will i don't know, like prevent it from happening or something like that:shrugs:

I read an article that another tpfer posted about how Coach is tightening up their distribution so it can no longer be found in places like Sam's, etc...

I tihnk the problem wih being too exclusive is that at some point, you run out of buyers. There is a very small percentage of people who will continually shell out $400-1000 over and over for new handbags. It's hard to keep growing a business if you can't grow your customer base, too...

Besides, don't they often give bags to celebs for free so they'll carry them around? And aren't they the only ones who can afford to carry so many? Gotta make payroll somehow!:graucho:

even Vicious had said something along the lines of.. am i graduating from this designer? I too agree that coach is becoming more and more mainstream and easily sought out by anyone.. fake or real!:nogood:

I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday, it's so true! I think its even worse with Louis Vuitton than compared to Coach. I once saw a group of 10 women all carrying "LV" bags and they were obviously all fake. Heck, you can walk into a lot of stores these days and see replicas of LV bags that look similar that have different letters monogramed and people buy them. I agree that these fake bags are a big contribution to this mainstream phenomenon.

Coach does seem to be getting more popular too! I didn't even realize that there were so many fakes floating around out there until recently. Even Dooney and Bourke is being faked now. Coach and D&B are definitely more affordable and easier to attain considering you can get both brands at most department stores (just not all styles).

I also think more and more people are discovering the wonders of outlet shopping which makes Coach even more affordable! I have seen a number of outlet malls pop up in Florida (where I live) over the past 5 years. (Not that I am complaining about this, I love the outlets!)

Speaking of fakes, this thread reminds me of some "ghetto prom" pictures, these have been floating around the internet for a long time, but in case you haven't seen them, take a look! If you scroll down the page, you will see Ghetto LV and Gucci! Talk about mainstream! :P

http://www.jibjab.com/view/26685

I definitely agree that Coach is becoming more and more popular, but I live in a smaller town where it's not carried quite as often. For instance, I was out recently and someone (a woman with a Master's degree, no less) asked if my bag had sunglasses or handcuffs on it. :confused1: I didn't know what to say, since I had no idea what I was talking about. She finally pointed to it--the Coach C's. :weird: I mean, really now. She was serious. Good heavens.

I definitely agree that Coach is becoming more and more popular, but I live in a smaller town where it's not carried quite as often. For instance, I was out recently and someone (a woman with a Master's degree, no less) asked if my bag had sunglasses or handcuffs on it. :confused1: I didn't know what to say, since I had no idea what I was talking about. She finally pointed to it--the Coach C's. :weird: I mean, really now. She was serious. Good heavens.

LMAO!! My MIL thought my scribble tote had sunglasses all over it WTF??? :weird: Shes from the OC! (Orange County CA., Coaches everywhere!)

:borg1:Yes, Coach is the bag of choice for those of us with no style or taste. It's part of the uniform of the unwashed masses. That is why I love them so. I have been assimilated!! :borg:

:roflmfao:

OK, now to be serious. Coach has a 23% market share of a multi billion dollar market here in the US. That is huge! That said, I don't see MY Coach bags coming and going. I am not particularly worried about how available Coach bags are as long as they keep up their standard of quality and style at what I consider an affordable price. I don't feel my personal style is diminished if other people own what I own. We make fun of all the fugly bags out there so if we are seeing women carrying better bags, (like Coach) we should be happy to see American women want to look and dress better. I see lots of Coach but I feel like I see just as many LV. I see many Prada, Chanel, and Dior, too. I am sure many of these bags are fake but that is a whole different and ugly story.

"too mainstream" is in the eye of the beholder and has a LOT to do with where you are. i know where i live, fakes are rampant (lv or coach or chanel). so i am quite happy that i at least have something REAL that is within my budget. i personally always smile when i see someone else with a real coach bag.

but, then again, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. but, eh, i'm not gonna love coach forever (darn you chanel for stealing my heart...)

maybe they are mostly fakes out my way southern Ca I see tons of fake LV'S

OMG..I was in Century City yesterday while my brother had acting classes and we walked around the Westfield Mall and I could not believe how many LVs I saw!!!! :wtf: It was nuts. I swear that every person there had one. I stopped couting at 28. :rolleyes: LOL. Anyways, I had assumed that it was because there was a LV store there and that many of the people there had lots of money, but once I started paying attention to all of them, I realized that about 80% of them were all fake! I only saw 3 women carrying Coach bags out there and they all looked real to me. That was the fewest Coach bags I had ever seen. Usually you see more than that.

In my opinion, I hate when things get sooooo mainstream that it seems like everyone has one, but at the same time, I only buy REAL bags and I still feel great about my bags because I love them and they are real and have special meaning to me. I could care less what others carry *especially when they carry fakes* If anything, I feel even better when I am standing next to someone and their bag is fake and I know it is and mine is real...isnt that mean of me? LOL I will never stop carrying what I love no matter who owns what. Mainstream or not, I love my bags and will continue to carry them. :heart: