Is Chanel shopping in Europe a better value?

Mom2to2

O.G.
Mar 28, 2013
Hello Ladies, I'm going to Europe/Italy this summer. I'm hoping to splurge on my 1st Chanel bag while there. I would like to know 1st with the 12% Vat refund will I be saving any money by purchasing in Italy rather then Canada? I know Louis Vuitton is a much better value purchasing in Europe. But I have no experience with Chanel. I did purchase a Celine belt bag in Italy and the savings wasn't huge. I think the savings was maybe $300?? Anyone have any experience or idea with respect the the savings?

Thanks!

Yes! Still a lot cheaper. For example, a jumbo is 4750 euro (6718 CAD)in Europe and you get a vat refund of about 10%. So total approximate cost in Europe is 6046 CAD

The jumbo costs 7075 CAD in Canada.

I'm not sure how much sales tax is (I'm from the USA [emoji631][emoji4]) but that's about a 1k savings!

Last edited:
Yes! Still a lot cheaper. For example, a jumbo is 4750 euro (approx $5042 usd based on today's exchange rate). The jumbo cost $5500 plus tax in the USA ( $5995 with 9% tax). Even without the VAT refund, that's almost $1k difference

Excellent thx! I'll have to do the math on the Canadian price difference

I am interested to know more about this!

I believe it will also depends on duties/taxes you will have to pay when you come back to Canada!?!?
(but I am not sure how much)

I think Europe is better for the price and selection, personally. I bought my chanel from europe bc it was so worth it.

if youre looking for a chanel old medium boy:

In USA:
$4700 USD + sales tax

In Canada:
$5350 CAD + 13% (Toronto) = $6045 CAD = $4536 USD
So you're already saving $150 USD + tax

Now in Europe, you get 12% tax back ~ 10% tax back, you can choose for it to go straight to your credit card or you can get cash USD. I believe if its credit card you get more back (full 12%) but you wait a little longer, and cash is right away when you leave the airport but there are fees (10%).
3720 euros = $5262 CAD - 10% VAT = $4735 CAD = $3552 USD.

And yes, it is THAT cheap. I got a boy in Paris last summer and was amazed at the price difference. Now, I can't bring myself to buying bags at my local store (Toronto Canada) bc I always feel its so expensive vs. euros where the service is top notch, selection is limitless and price is cheaper. (Still buying SLGs though hehehe)

When I went they opened their shelves and I got to pick from a stacked and filled stock. After picking what bags I wanted, they went in the back and grabbed a brand new one still wrapped up (You do not get the display!!!). Whereas in Canada, you are lucky if you even find what you are looking for, and its always the display anyway bc Canadian stocks... well just simply suck. Plus, you get champagne while waiting in Europe.

As for taxes at the airport, I was luckily passed through. But duties/customs/taxes can be hefty when coming back. So that might make a difference in $.

Hope that helps!! I vote for Europe!!

Great topic! I am a Canadian algo going to Europe next month and I was wondering the same thing... :smile:
My question to those that did not pay duties/customs...did you declare and the officer just let you go?

I think Europe is better for the price and selection, personally. I bought my chanel from europe bc it was so worth it.

if youre looking for a chanel old medium boy:

In USA:
$4700 USD + sales tax

In Canada:
$5350 CAD + 13% (Toronto) = $6045 CAD = $4536 USD
So you're already saving $150 USD + tax

Now in Europe, you get 12% tax back ~ 10% tax back, you can choose for it to go straight to your credit card or you can get cash USD. I believe if its credit card you get more back (full 12%) but you wait a little longer, and cash is right away when you leave the airport but there are fees (10%).
3720 euros = $5262 CAD - 10% VAT = $4735 CAD = $3552 USD.

And yes, it is THAT cheap. I got a boy in Paris last summer and was amazed at the price difference. Now, I can't bring myself to buying bags at my local store (Toronto Canada) bc I always feel its so expensive vs. euros where the service is top notch, selection is limitless and price is cheaper. (Still buying SLGs though hehehe)

When I went they opened their shelves and I got to pick from a stacked and filled stock. After picking what bags I wanted, they went in the back and grabbed a brand new one still wrapped up (You do not get the display!!!). Whereas in Canada, you are lucky if you even find what you are looking for, and its always the display anyway bc Canadian stocks... well just simply suck. Plus, you get champagne while waiting in Europe.

As for taxes at the airport, I was luckily passed through. But duties/customs/taxes can be hefty when coming back. So that might make a difference in $.

Hope that helps!! I vote for Europe!!

Excellent!! That pretty convincing to me! I don't like buying at home either, unless it's something I have to have at that moment otherwise I wait to go to Europe. "I get passed by at customs too" ;)

Great topic! I am a Canadian algo going to Europe next month and I was wondering the same thing... :smile:
My question to those that did not pay duties/customs...did you declare and the officer just let you go?

You are supposed to declare everything. And if u declare anything over the allowed amount for the extent of your holiday you will have to pay duty.

Reactions: Coconuts40
Significantly cheaper in Europe. Especially now with the USD so strong against the euro - and pound!

When you compare against the UDS prices around the world fluctuate. As of this month the second best prices are in Malaysia. Take a look (I think this is the URL.) www.chanelprices.com

I too live in Canada, and personally I would purchase in Europe but declare anything I buy that is expensive and over the allowed limit. If you don't declare and get caught, you will be checked every time thereafter. If you are honest from the beginning, they may be more lenient with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctrxn
Do you guys have any advice on whether Munich, Milan, or Salzburg is better to get a classic WOC? If I'm flying in and out of Munich (train to Milan and driving to Salzburg), can I still buy in Milan and get a VAT in Munich?

Do you guys have any advice on whether Munich, Milan, or Salzburg is better to get a classic WOC? If I'm flying in and out of Munich (train to Milan and driving to Salzburg), can I still buy in Milan and get a VAT in Munich?

I believe you're allowed to claim VAT at your last point of departure before going home, which would be in Munich, regardless of what EU country you bought the bag.

I just bought a mini from UK at Harrods and was able to claim the VAT back right at the store. I saved about $800. The hard part is trying to track it down and I made several phone calls there, which often go unanswered. Several of the boutiques are literally too busy to answer the phone. If you find something, they won't hold it more than a few hours and you need to be there in person to purchase it. There is no way to give CC info over the phone and then try to pick it up. So, while its a good deal, you need to be on top of the search and cross your fingers that there will be one for you.