Is caffeine really that bad when you are pregnant?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. ...because I don't think I could do without my coffee! Just a question for the FUTURE. No speculation ladies!:P

2. coffee has a lot more caffeine in it than cokes. Can't you do half decaf?

Look at this example of caffeine grams/drink, note the coffee is 4 ozs SMALLER than the soft drinks:

8-ounce / Beverage / milligrams
    Coffee, Drip 115-175
    Coffee, Brewed 80-135
    Coffee, Espresso (2 ounces)100
    Coffee, Instant 65-100
    Tea, iced 47
    Tea, brewed, imported brands (avg.)60
    Tea, brewed, U.S. brands (avg.)40
    Tea, instant 30
    Tea, green 15
    Hot cocoa14
    Coffee, Decaf, brewed 3-4
    Coffee, Decaf, instant 2-3

12-ounce / beverage / milligrams
    Red Bull (8.2 oz) 80.0
    Jolt 71.2
    Pepsi One 55.5
    Mountain Dew 55.0
    Mountain Dew Code Red 55.0
    Diet Mountain Dew 55.0
    Kick Citrus 54.0
    Mellow Yellow 52.8
    Surge 51.0
    Tab 46.8
    Diet Coke 45.6
    Shasta Cola 44.4
    Shasta Cherry Cola 44.4
    Shasta Diet Cola 44.4
    RC Cola 43.0
    Diet RC 43.0

3. I think early in pregnancy it increases your rate of miscarriage significantly according to recent studies. I think later on in the pregnancy it can affect the baby's heart rate, GI system, movement etc. I love coffee but I gave it up when I found out I was pregnant. Just think of it as one of the first things in a long line of things that you have to give up for the health of your baby. You will feel better that you did and it is only temporary !

4. apparently it's worse than alcohol. i had to give up red bull while i was pregnant. felt like dying ughhhhh.

5. yess!!! i can't drink or eat anything coffee for 9 months. but it's ok, i'd do anything for my baby. :biggrin:

6. Oh I gave up coffee when I was pregnant with each of my 3 kids. I usually drink 2-4 cups a day. Last year I had given up coffee for Lent and then a month, I found out that I was expecting.

7. Personally, I find caffeine makes my heart race even more when pregnant and I'm more jittery. I know that it can't be good for the baby if it makes me feel that way. A few times I've gotten coffee and didn't get decaf by accident and I could immediately tell.

8. Some women find they dont even like the taste of coffee while pregnant. I had coffee here & there when I was pregnant. If you had to drink it everyday do decaf. Personally I find soda worse than coffee. I'd rather see a pregnant woman drink coffee over soda which has far worse ingredients. Just my .02

9. Luckily for me, I'm not much of a coffee drinker but a tea totaler. I couldn't drink reg. tea when I found out I was preggers and switched to decaf and talk about caffeine withdrawal! I had headaches up the wazoo and didn't think I could take any pain medication and literally had to sweat it out. Fortunately, my OB said it was ok to take Tylenol and after a while, my body got used to it.

10. I have allowed myself 1 cup a day throughout. I don't drink sodas so I am not getting much caffeine.
    There are so many things that are supposedly "bad". I read an aritcle somewhere where Dr. OZ recommended a cup of coffee a day for pregnant women.
    That being said, if you are prone to miscarriages, I would skip the caffeine alltogether.

11. My pregnancy paperwork from my doctor says that I can have 1 cup of coffee each day while pregnant. I gave up coffee for the most part, I had a half of cup maybe 2 or 3 times since I've been pregnant. I do however drink iced tea almost all the time.

12. I'm with you on that.
    The only thing I gave up completely during pregnancy was artificial sweeteners

13. i heard if you're doing decaf, make sure it's been decaffeinated naturally (swiss water process) and not chemically.
    i gave up coffee while TTC (heard it leads to early miscarriage) and by then time i got pregnant, it was no longer a craving.

14. I have been drinking a cup of coffee every day during this pregnancy and the same for my first pregnancy and there were no problems whatsoever.
    one issue about caffeine is that it may affect the baby's growth which was no issue at all. once in a while I have a can of coke but not that often.

i have to say that neither of my docs ever recommended against coffee or so IN MODERATION and I know lots of people who are drinking cups of tea without any problems - tea has the same amount of caffeine as coffee.

this is just my personal experience, and personally I try to abstain from major chemical input as much as possible (i.e. meds against morning sickness, etc) as I find that worse. just my 2 cents ;)

15. It is perfectly safe to drink no more than 250-300mg of caffeine a day when you're pregnant. Caffeine can constrict that blood vessels which supply the placenta, so if you take in too much, there's a risk of compromising the bloodflow to the baby. This is especially important during the first trimester, which is what the study that published this information looked at.

I would just avoid any Starbucks coffees (there's a whopping 550mg of caffeine in a 16oz. cup!). I drank a cup of (non-Starbucks) coffee almost everyday during my first pregnancy (I was in med school at the time) and he turned out fine (he's now 5). I agree with lara0112; all in MODERATION.

If you really need the caffeine for the wake-up call, I say it's fine. But I would try to taper yourself down by mixing it with some decaf. (You don't want the withdrawal headache.) There's also caffeine in chocolate, so watch your intake on that too...