Is Buffalo Leather Heavy?

chessmont

O.G.
Aug 22, 2006
I see Sam at Haute Gallery has a Buffalo Skipper 40B. Is it a heavy leather? It is so pretty. But a darn big bag if the leather is heavy. I know nothing about it...

I have a Buffalo Skipper Bolide 37 and I will never part with it - I love this leather!
Buffalo Skipper is one of the heavier leathers, I would say it is comparable to Clemence in weight.
It is a slouchy leather, also like clemence. Buffalo Skipper is extremely durable, you would have to put forth considerable effort to destroy it, so it makes for a great everyday bag.

In a 40B it might be too heavy, especially if you carry a lot or walk great distances. I don't carry much in my Buffalo Bolide - wallet, karo, phone, keys, so weight has never been a problem for me.

I see Sam at Haute Gallery has a Buffalo Skipper 40B. Is it a heavy leather? It is so pretty. But a darn big bag if the leather is heavy. I know nothing about it...
I just looked at the Buffalo Skipper B, it is lined in Buffalo Skipper as well, so I bet it is quite heavy.
My Bolide is lined in lamb, which is much lighter.

I have a buffalo skipper 35 and it is very heavy. That said, I think it could withstand an elephant stampede. It's lined in buffalo and not only is it fairly scratch proof but weather proof as well. I wouldn't recommend it as a hand bag per se, but for use as a work tote or travel tote when you are not carrying it all day on foot, it's perfect and gorgeous. Another plus is that it was made a while ago and the craftsmanship is superb. Mine is not floppy at all, although not rigid like Epsom, it has kept it's shape beautifully and it's over 10 years old.
Good luck!

Reactions: ForeverInPink
I just weigh my two kelly 35's. One in togo, the other in buffle. Both weigh the same. I am surprised since the togo "feels" lighter. Buffle is stiffer than togo, but not as stiff as box or epsom. Hope this helps!

I have a 35B in buffalo and it's super heavy even when empty. It's definitely heavier than my clemency 35Bs, but it feels thicker and hardier. I am not sure why, but my SA (FSH) tells me that you can walk in the rain with buffalo, but not clemence, it's not the same. So I have always known it to be one of H's most durable leathers.

I have a 35B in buffalo and it's super heavy even when empty. It's definitely heavier than my clemency 35Bs, but it feels thicker and hardier. I am not sure why, but my SA (FSH) tells me that you can walk in the rain with buffalo, but not clemence, it's not the same. So I have always known it to be one of H's most durable leathers.

Thank you for the info

Its a bit hefty. But I can babysit the bag for ya whenever your arm is too tired. :smile:

:roflmfao::roflmfao: Too funny but thank you for this thread. I have been interested in a purse from Hermes but get lost in the talk of leathers, how they hold up, the grain, yadda, yadda, yadda. But...when I saw this and that they make some purses out of buffalo, well, I am all over that! So thank you ladies you have just helped one very confused, drowning in information I didn't really need until now TPF member. Most grateful. :heart: My first purse, no matter what will be made out of buffalo.

Sorry for Bumping old thread for some info.

I am in search of preloved Birkin in Buffalo Skipper. But I’ve never seen the leather in size 30? Was the leather only made for bigger size bags like 35 & 40 that I’ve occasionally seen?

I read this leather is heavy. I wonder if it is heavier than my Fjord?

Also about colors availability for this particular leather seemed to be very limited? I’ve only seen solid color in black.

If anyone here has more info about this leather pls share with me. Thanks.

Sorry for Bumping old thread for some info.

I am in search of preloved Birkin in Buffalo Skipper. But I’ve never seen the leather in size 30? Was the leather only made for bigger size bags like 35 & 40 that I’ve occasionally seen?

I read this leather is heavy. I wonder if it is heavier than my Fjord?

Also about colors availability for this particular leather seemed to be very limited? I’ve only seen solid color in black.

If anyone here has more info about this leather pls share with me. Thanks.

I believe @dharma has a has a Buffalo B30 in a beautiful dark red/rust color (Brique? Rouge H?) It's much heavier than Fjord, which I seem to recall is one of the lighter leathers. I've only seen Buffalo in dark neutrals (gray, dark red, black) except for the Dalmatian.