Is Birkin being devalued or adding value Cardi b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi purse lovers!

I saw tonight that Cardi B posted an Instagram video where she said people on the internet were talking about her and other female rappers carrying Birkin Bags. She said people online were saying that “by her carrying the Birkin bag and other female rappers that the Birkin bag and or hermes was getting the de-valued.” She explained that from her perspective she had added a bunch of value to Birkin and Hermes by making it more main stream. And her and other rappers carrying a Birkin bag added value to the Hermes.

What do you all think, is the Birkin Bag getting added value or devaluing? I’m curious!

Here’s a link to the video also

Last edited:
Reactions: AnnaE
For me, the value of Hermes bags stems from the history of Hermes, the exquisite craftsmanship, and the quality of their leather. I don’t really care which celebrities are carrying what bags. I buy the bags because I love them. I am probably more cognizant now about when and where I use my bags since the Birkin is becoming more easily recognizable, but I don’t feel the “value” of my bags has changed for me in any way.

I think the intrinsic value of Hermes remains unchanged and the extrinsic value likely does increase overall. Regardless of my general (and quite uninformed) previous opinion of her, which may or may not be upgraded by this video, I applaud her and am so pleased with the sentiment she expresses at the end of the video: Possessions and signals of affluence should have no bearing on one’s feeling of self-worth. There are millions of women and men who wear $5 items with great style, and that attitude is what should be aspired to, not owning or wearing a certain brand. She has a platform to make empowering statements, and I respect her for this one.

In 50 years, nobody will remember Cardi B but Hermès will continue to be remembered time and time again. At this point in history, it doesn’t matter who carries the bag, the brand is established and here to stay. So do I think she adds value? No. Do I think she devalues it? Also no. She’s a celebrity, it’s easier for celebrities to have these sought out bags so even if she think she makes them more popular and eventually they’ll become mainstream they still won’t because the average person will never be offered a birkin nor can the average person afford a birkin. I’m more applaud by the fact that she doesn’t realize she’s turning it into a race issue when actually it’s a wealth issue. The birkin is out of reach to 99% of the population, but she has four. Maybe she should try to humble herself?

I don‘t think Cardi B or any rapper carrying Birkin devalues the brand.
I mean, the Kardashians have been carrying them for years and that would have been more damaging, as unlike rappers they are not artists with talent...

But I also don‘t see Cardi B’s point that she adds value to the brand by making it more mainstream. There is no reason Hermes would want to be mainstream.

I don‘t think Cardi B or any rapper carrying Birkin devalues the brand.
I mean, the Kardashians have been carrying them for years and that would have been more damaging, as unlike rappers they are not artists with talent...

But I also don‘t see Cardi B’s point that she adds value to the brand by making it more mainstream. There is no reason Hermes would want to be mainstream.
They literally cannot be mainstream lol her argument is completely flawed! Mainstream is something that is considered affordable. The average person can't afford a Birkin let alone be offered a Birkin. It's sad that she doesn't see she's talking about race when the actual issue is wealth...by saying she has four she's admitting she's a part of the 1% that is fortunate enough to be able to afford a birkin let alone four! The only reason LV was able to go "mainstream" was because the canvas prints were easier to counterfeit so it looks like it's mainstream when it's actually not...

Although the music may not be my kind of thing Cardi B is a globally successful artiste so I dont see why her or any other successful female in the public eye would devalue the brand in any way.
I personally dont really like seeing celebrities flashing their Birkins or talking about them because I fear it may make me more of a target for mugging if I carry one .
I live in London and the one time I got mugged was in the 90's when I lived in Notting hill and was wearing a crossbody LV bag that I actually never really liked much but was a gift-three guys in broad daylight walked past looked at my bag then ran at me from behind dragging me back and to the ground by the strap of the bag-
by a celebrity sounding off about their 'Birkins' the more people become aware of the cost and desirability of these things.
I lead a normal life and want a bag I can carry on the subway and on the streets without feeling like a walking target.
That aside I have more respect for a rapper who presumably has worked hard to get where she is and has a modicum of talent showing off her handbags, than I do for a vacuous 'Influencer' who has actually done nothing but just exists to look good, blag freebees and pose about showing off!

Last edited:
I love Cardi. She keeps it real. There’s definitely some racism involved with people questioning if she and other rappers devalue the bag. Snooty “old money” or jealous wannabes I bet. Love at the end where she says you don’t need to fake it to keep up too, it seems like she’s matured a bit since her early days.

Am I jealous she can walk in and get what she wants when she wants it? Yes but that doesn’t devalue the brand in any way. It means she’s a VIP who can drop an unlimited amount of money. Lucky her!

if anything “devalues the Birkin” it’s the fact that I can go online and find a preloved one in my price range and just buy it from Rebag or Fashionphile or Yoogis as it impacts the exclusivity. And clearly it doesn’t which is why Excellent condition bags are still being sold for thousands over retail!

Status
Not open for further replies.