Is Aveda hair color really better???

I like it. I don't think it's as harsh and it certainly does not smell as bad/strongly as conventional coloring. The only thing I've noticed is that if they don't scrub the heck out of my scalp, it itches for a few days. Of course, that's just me :smile:

I think it's definitely better! So far my colour has lasted 3 weeks and that is a record for me. It's also bright bright red right now (it was for a photo shoot with Aveda). Normally dye washes out of my hair within a week no matter how permanent it is supposed to be. I'm definitely a fan of Aveda now that I know the colour will last long enough for me to have roots! I also didn't get the crunchy dead feeling hair that I had the last time I did a hair shoot. I had to use oil treatments to get my hair to even feel slightly soft. I haven't had to use them this time.

I've been told that it's much gentler on hair than other brands. But I do think a lot depends on the colorist. I've had damage after certain colorists left it in my hair too long, or used too strong a developer.

When applied properly by a good colorist, I've had very good results. It left my hair very shiny and the color was very rich and long-lasting.

Well, I was using Redken and just got my hair colored yesterday and I don't have the heavy breakage that I had previously. I also got my hair done with the manager/ most experienced in the salon and love it. She listened and I felt like she knew what was going on. I am going to stick with Aveda. Wish I never switched!

It was terrible for me! I was going to an Aveda salon for about a year until it dawned on me why my hair was dry even at the roots.
I switched salons and was telling my new stylist about it and he said he used to work in an Aveda salon and he agreed, the hair color was very drying in his opinion as well. :shocked:

It was terrible for me! I was going to an Aveda salon for about a year until it dawned on me why my hair was dry even at the roots.
I switched salons and was telling my new stylist about it and he said he used to work in an Aveda salon and he agreed, the hair color was very drying in his opinion as well. :shocked:

Really? I had the opposite happen! I did one hair photo shoot in August at a really high end salon and they had to bleach out some strands of my hair for the colour. My hair was stiff all over even the parts that were just dyed over my natural colour and I had major breaking going on. I had to do a ton of oil treatments to get my hair to dry soft after I showered again.
This time I did a hair shoot for Aveda and they had to bleach my entire head for the colour I have and had the opposite happen. It's been soft and shiny since the day they did it, and they even had to refresh the colour the day of the photo shoot and I haven't had any breaking or stiff hair. Plus this is the first time that a red hair dye has actually stayed in my hair longer than a week. I don't know if they did anything different in the process of washing it, but I know I haven't changed any of my hair washing habits but I'm so relieved that it turned out this way because I was freaking out that they had to bleach everything since I ran out of hair oils to use after this shoot!

I wonder, do they have different types of dyes maybe? or changed the formula? I remember the hair dresser saying something about it being new when I was telling her my horrors from bleaching my hair before. I was trying to talk them out of bleaching my whole head when she mentioned that the dye was new and was supposed to protect hair or something like that.

I liked it, but I used their semi permanent and the color washed right out after a couple of weeks. Other semi permanents last longer. I can't speak about their permanent, though. Everyone has different hair types, so that is why some people's hair may have taken better to it perhaps. It also may depend on the shades you are using.

I had my Aveda root tint just before lockdown in March, the colour still.looking good 12 weeks later. 4 weeks after,hooray my salon reopened. Although I had visible roots it wasn't too bad!!!.I can honestly say that Aveda colour is so natural and long lasting!!!Best make of colour I have used!! Also the hair salon in Battle that is an Aveda salon has top notch hairdressers that take great pride in their work.