Is anyone more hesitant about buying handbags in 2024?

delilahsays

Aug 26, 2011
Has anyone slowed down their handbag purchases this year? Back before 2020 and during 2020, I purchased and sold a lot of designer handbags to “curate” my collection. It slowed down since then and maybe I bought one designer handbag and few contemporary handbag the following years. I’m getting an itch to buy a new designer bag this year but I hesitate now. Inflation is high, the streets are unsafe (I live in a major metropolitan area), and I simply look at my designer collection now and feel how much my tastes have changed. I rarely use any of my designer bags. I go to work with my longchamp bags. I feel much more relaxed carrying a contemporary brand bag or even a no-name brand bag! Sometimes I wish I can start over with a fresh collection! I’m getting to know who I am more and more now and see what I like and don’t like. I know what works now and doesn’t work. I also know sometimes these things are cyclical and I might want the those bags that I feel like I don’t need now in the future. So anyways, I am ranting. As much as I have some designer bags I want to buy now, they just don’t seem to me to be worth the cost anymore due to all the price increases. Also I walk into some designer stores, and I see the quality is horrible! Why would I spend that much on a bag that doesn’t even look for feel luxurious!? I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same this year.

I never joined that carousel. I was lucky and happened upon a bag I felt was really «me» years ago, and whenever I think about another bag, I measure it against the fit of that bag, and mostly the itch goes away. Until these last months. I got two more that match it to some degree. I have found bags I was disappointed with and that I didn't like suddenly became exactly what I needed. I don't get rid of bags as a rule. But mine don't cost that much.

I feel you. I also live in a major city and feel unsafe and hyper vigilant every time I wear a designer bag. Crime is a serious concern for me. I would never wear my designer bags to work or just walking around, unless I am hiding the logo and it is daylight (but even then, I get scared).

To be honest, I've been spending a majority of my shopping recently focused on upgrading my wardrobe with nice RTW. I really enjoy fashion and putting together outfits that accentuate me. Maybe there is something subconscious about preferring to spend money on nice clothes instead of handbags because of the safety component, too.

I feel you. I also live in a major city and feel unsafe and hyper vigilant every time I wear a designer bag. Crime is a serious concern for me. I would never wear my designer bags to work or just walking around, unless I am hiding the logo and it is daylight (but even then, I get scared).

To be honest, I've been spending a majority of my shopping recently focused on upgrading my wardrobe with nice RTW. I really enjoy fashion and putting together outfits that accentuate me. Maybe there is something subconscious about preferring to spend money on nice clothes instead of handbags because of the safety component, too.
I’m always walking around hiding the logos also! And that is a great idea to focus on clothing. I’m glad you found something else enjoyable to replace handbag shopping!

Has anyone slowed down their handbag purchases this year? Back before 2020 and during 2020, I purchased and sold a lot of designer handbags to “curate” my collection. It slowed down since then and maybe I bought one designer handbag and few contemporary handbag the following years. I’m getting an itch to buy a new designer bag this year but I hesitate now. Inflation is high, the streets are unsafe (I live in a major metropolitan area), and I simply look at my designer collection now and feel how much my tastes have changed. I rarely use any of my designer bags. I go to work with my longchamp bags. I feel much more relaxed carrying a contemporary brand bag or even a no-name brand bag! Sometimes I wish I can start over with a fresh collection! I’m getting to know who I am more and more now and see what I like and don’t like. I know what works now and doesn’t work. I also know sometimes these things are cyclical and I might want the those bags that I feel like I don’t need now in the future. So anyways, I am ranting. As much as I have some designer bags I want to buy now, they just don’t seem to me to be worth the cost anymore due to all the price increases. Also I walk into some designer stores, and I see the quality is horrible! Why would I spend that much on a bag that doesn’t even look for feel luxurious!? I was wondering if anyone else has felt the same this year.
I’ve been on a tear of buying older LV (Tivoli, Galliera) because I think the quality, design features etc are so much nicer. I don’t feel unsafe carrying them where I live (Naples FL) but I know that if I were still in Philly taking the train I would probably feel differently . I need to scale down but it’s not a good time to sell IMO. I plan on stopping for the foreseeable future.

To be honest, regarding the price increases, sometimes, I feel like an idiot when carrying a Chanel bag, despite (and precisely because) I bought my bag years ago preloved and of course for favorable price.

Recently, I tend to brands like Polene: Great design, reasonable prices, no "wrong" attention.

Reactions: keishapie1973
I already bought 3 this year, but one was a pre-loved that I missed out on 14 years ago, another was a mad, spontaneous purchase of a crazy evening bag, and the other was a long time want, then discontinued, followed by a release perfect colour -'buy now or cry later' for my birthday.

New bags are crazy prices, no doubt about it. But then so is the dentist and I still go to her.

To be honest, regarding the price increases, sometimes, I feel like an idiot when carrying a Chanel bag, despite (and precisely because) I bought my bag years ago preloved and of course for favorable price.

Recently, I tend to brands like Polene: Great design, reasonable prices, no "wrong" attention.

You should never feel like an idiot. Your bag is your own, I'm sure it is fabulous, wear it with pride and no regrets. Most people in your position would be praising, you not only got a lovely bag, but by today's' standards, it wasn't a crazy price.

Last edited:
I had stopped shopping completely during the pandemic mostly because I had nowhere to go socially. Although
I was fortunate to have uninterrupted work, it was still uncertain times as to what the future would hold so I held onto my cash. Once the world reopened, I felt really grateful for my good health (physically, mentally, financially). I never went wild and splurged but I am spending more freely and purchasing items that I love without waiting for a ‘better tine’. Of course I read the room and dress appropriately for the occasion but I definitely enjoy wearing my designer items. It is not for others, but I enjoy it for myself. The finer materials do feel better on my skin. In fact, I have invested in higher end items than before. While some may say the quality has gone down with top tiered brands compared to yesteryear, ( I think quality has gone down across the board)but there is still a difference and better cuts, material, design in than mid tiered contemporary brands. At the end of the day, these are all material goods that I can’t take them with me when my time on earth is done so I might as well enjoy them while I can.

Last edited:
I have definitely slowed down and even pared down my collection. I switched from a job where I commuted by car every day to one where I take the metro and it's way more convenient/safer for me to carry my stuff in a backpack. So I still have my Hermes bags for weekends and such but they get carried far less frequently now. So with all of that plus the price increases and quality decreases that you noted, a bag has to be really special for me to buy at this moment in my life.

I knew I was going to slow down on purchases at one point because my habit is not having a lot of stuff in general.
I bought no luxury in 2020 and re-started buying in 2021.
I definitely became more calculating and methodical with purchases after the pandemic, before I was more spontaneous and intuitive. That worked for jewelry, not so much for bags. I also got tired of selling items that didn't work out for me so I became a lot more picky and learned to be patient and wait; give myself time to think if I really wanted something.
And of course, with all these price increases, it definitely does make someone take a step back and wonder if something is worth it.
I've realized that as I get picker, the items that I want more (or I guess are a higher priority or I think are worth it to have) are also more expensive :P . So then that makes me consider them even further.

I've recently slowed down on buying designer items. I've been carrying my Coach and Marc Jacobs bags more than my designer. I don't always feel comfortable carrying them and also feel a little silly in this economy. My styles have changed so any monogram items sit unused until the trend changes. I do have my eye on a slightly more understated bag, but still clearly designer... :smile:

I also sometimes feel idiotic carrying such expensive bags. I’ve switched to buying items made of quality material instead of just focusing on certain brands. When I feel like I’ve found something made nicely that is not as expensive, I feel like I’ve scored and am super happy! I realized cheaper items make me happy too, and it doesn’t have to be designer!

Reactions: Cali2HI
I’ve had several dream bags on my forever wishlist. I’ve bought three. To be honest, I’ve been loving my Coach bags (some from my wishlist). I’m not really itching for a bag lately unless it’s on my wishlist. My focus has been jewelry. Summer is a slow time for me. Last summer, I literally carried a handheld Longchamp the whole season. It was just too hot to carry anything heavy like a leather bag. I’m extremely happy with my current collection.