Is anyone just over Chanel?

Are you over Chanel?

• Yes absolutely, I don't feel it anymore, and I plan on buying another brand

Votes: 223 20.5%
  • Yes, I don't feel it anymore, but I also don't plan on buying another brand

Votes: 69 6.3%
  • No, I will always love Chanel and will pay whatever price they ask for it

Votes: 40 3.7%
  • No, I love Chanel and the designs but price is a barrier, so I'll be more selective about purchases

Votes: 756 69.5%

• Total voters

pinkrose398

MaddyLoves.com
O.G.
Feb 7, 2009
I know this topic gets resurrected and discussed every time there's a price increase, but lately I've been completely uninspired by Chanel, and feeling completely over it. Chanel used to make my heart sing and stomach butterflies dance around. I loved so many new collections and new colours, season after season. The styles and colours that have come out in the last few years have been very blah (in my opinion).

Also, I'm discouraged because the prices are so insane for Chanel, but resale for anything that isn't a classic design is not very good. I have a seasonal Chanel bag that was like the Gabrielle / Chanel 19 of its day, but its no longer popular now, and now I can't even sell it at a steep loss if I wanted to. This would be more acceptable for a $1000-2000 bag, but just feels sad for bags that are $3000-4000+. There are only so many classic flaps that one can buy (especially now that the prices are $10,000 for a bag in Canada).

Or maybe, because of the pandemic, or because I'm getting older and feeling closer to purse peace, I feel completely over luxury designer handbags altogether.

Lastly, I saw this post by @TraceySH and it just made me question the whole situation even more: https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...-bag-the-corner-is-peeling-off.1032822/page-2 These bags are now upwards of $10,000 in Canada, and Chanel can't even be bothered to provide good customer service about it. The SAs in my city are cr*p and anytime I have bought a bag in the last few years, have all been through US SAs or a personal shopper.

Sorry if that was a ranty / rambly post. I'm curious to see if anyone else feels the same as me.

I love that Chanel's flap bag totally changed how women carry bags because she made shoulder carry acceptable instead of just hand carry. So I bought a 2.55 mini and I love it, but for now I can't see myself buying additional Chanel bags anytime soon. I don't need a ton of quilted flap bags.

LV seems better about after sales care. I like that I could get an LV bag repaired (even if I have to pay for repair). With Chanel it seems like they don't want to do anything with the bag ever again after you purchase it.

I gave up on Chanel years ago! I buy only Hermes now. You pay for, and get, a quality handbag with Hermes; a bag that will last a lifetime. With Chanel prices being completely ridiculous now, I am surprised that more people haven't given up on the brand.
I think the issue with Hermes, in my opinion, is that a lot of the bags aren't really speaking out to me in terms of design. I absolutely LOVE the leather and the quality though, it's just the design that is a barrier. The only Hermes bag that has really called out to me is the Constance, but the big H buckle is a deterrent because I can't really wear it to the office. I've started looking at the Roulis as well, and the Mini Lindy. I don't like the full size Lindy but the mini is SO CUTE.

I love that Chanel's flap bag totally changed how women carry bags because she made shoulder carry acceptable instead of just hand carry. So I bought a 2.55 mini and I love it, but for now I can't see myself buying additional Chanel bags anytime soon. I don't need a ton of quilted flap bags.

LV seems better about after sales care. I like that I could get an LV bag repaired (even if I have to pay for repair). With Chanel it seems like they don't want to do anything with the bag ever again after you purchase it.

I feel the same way as you about the quilted flap bags. I have three in black - a jumbo, a square mini and a reissue mini - and one in beige - a vintage Diana, but I don't need any more. I could add more colours but with the prices, it's hard to justify a trendy coloured bag.

I agree with you about LV after sales care. I find LV service to be better overall as well, and the prices, albeit still pricey, are more reasonable for the quality. I guess because LV started as a luggage company so they put more care into leather craftsmanship. I love LV leather better than Chanel too, and it is generally more consistent season after season.

It bothers me so much that leather quality is so inconsistent with Chanel each season, especially for the seasonal bags. Back when they made caviar minis, the leather could either be plasticy or super beautifully soft, but you pay the same price for both bags! I'm sure they use different factories to produce different bags but part of quality control is to maintain consistency. They can't even care to do that.

Another issue that's been bothering me is the pearl crush minis. They're supposed to be like regular lambskin minis except with an adjustable strap, except they're not! If you look closely, the bottom and the sides all have puffy quilting, when regular minis are the same as regular classic flaps and have durable, flat quilting on the bottom and side.

I feel the same way as you about the quilted flap bags. I have three in black - a jumbo, a square mini and a reissue mini - and one in beige - a vintage Diana, but I don't need any more. I could add more colours but with the prices, it's hard to justify a trendy coloured bag.

Same! I'd rather get 2 epi Alma BB bags for $3,520 instead of 1 Chanel mini for $3,800 if I want to add colors to my luxury bag collection.

Since 2008, I Switched from Chanel bags (I was a RTW customer) and mainly bought Hermes and BV, but I just couldn’t resist a so black chevron mini reissue a few weeks ago. But chanel is a fashion piece, not a heritage leather like H. also The prices of everything are outrageous

I’ll probably get one more Jumbo Classic Flap and then I’ll make the official switch to Hermes.

The whole experience of getting my So Black Coco Handle was a nightmare. It’s a beautiful bag and I love it so dearly, but it took 3 replacements to get my hands on the best one.

So to those who got the So Black Coco Handle from 20A - please thoroughly inspect your bag and make sure there aren’t any scuffs on the strap’s leather and chips on the hardware. Looks like there’s a quality control issue on these bags and getting a brand new bag in poor condition is UNACCEPTABLE. Luckily the after sales department and the boutique manager were cooperative in the whole replacement process. Although they have no choice because the poor quality control on the bags was evident! Maybe due to the pandemic, the production of the bags was affected? Or maybe not because Chanel has been having quality issues for so long anyways. With the crazy price increases you’d think the quality of the bags would improve.

In the end, I chose to keep the best replacement because I’ve waited for so long to get this particular Coco Handle combo (quilted caviar + black hardware) and the sheen on the leather is stunning. Right now I see no flaws. It’s a beautiful bag. But yeah, I think I am done with Chanel for now.

Last edited:
Since 2008, I Switched from Chanel bags (I was a RTW customer) and mainly bought Hermes and BV, but I just couldn’t resist a so black chevron mini reissue a few weeks ago. But chanel is a fashion piece, not a heritage leather like H. also The prices of everything are outrageous
That's such a good statement, that Chanel is a fashion piece and not heritage.

I love the designs and colours, so apparently I’m a sucker for it still :facepalm:
The problem is that their aesthetic isn't duplicated elsewhere. So if you're a Chanel-phile, and you decided to veer away from it, there's not really anything to fill that void. I sold ALL of my Chanel last year. And bought up a sh**ton of Hermes. I also had Dior, LV, Delvaux too. But here I am, back amassing a collection b/c without it, for me, it feels like a whole category in my wardrobe is missing!