Is anyone else not-so-crazy about the Speedy?/Strap drop issues

SophieChic

O.G.
Oct 6, 2011
Now I know that the Speedy is supposed to be the iconic LV bag, I know the history, I know that I have noticed that around here, depending some on the specifics the request, generally the starter LV recommended is usually the Speedy, sometimes the Neverfull, but I still think Speedy outweighs it.

I have to say that I simply cannot get into this bag. I saw so many Speedys over the years, especially in mono (which is also not my favorite) that I did not even think I liked LV. I payed no attention to it for years.

Why do I dislike the Speedy so? One answer. The handles! Those little straps look absurd to me on the bag, and the bigger the Speedy, the sillier the straps look to me. I regularly carry satchels, I used to be a shoulder bag girl years ago, but then started carrying Coach Sophias and Lindseys in the crook of my elbow, so I am not anti-satchel by any means, but their handle strap drop is significantly longer than the Speedy.

This may not even be specifically Speedy related........ recently when I flew to Vegas, I saw many women carrying these huge LV bags on their *wrists*, they were travel bags obviously but the straps were so tiny they could not even fit in the crook of their elbow, and they appeared stuffed to the gills.

So maybe it is not just the poor Speedy, what is up with LV and little straps? It wasn't until I really started to do some research that I found bags with a more generous strap drop, and even then, like with my Neverfull, the strap drop is not what I would call generous. Is there a design history to this? Is it because they started out making trunks and they make the straps more like handles or something? A French conspiracy? :P What is going on?

Obviously I am lvoing LV now, but I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed or taken issue with this. Also, which LV bags have the most generous strap drops? I would love to check them out.

I am not a speedy person at all. I am definitely a shoulder bag girl so it would never occur to me. But recently I have noticed more and more people in my area carrying LV and I hate carrying the same bag as everyone else, so I would never carry it because it is so common. I know I am in the minority, but I am ok with that.

French conspiracy.., lol.

In all seriousness, I understand what you are saying, and it all seems like a personal preference re small tight handles, rounded vs flat handles, etc.

Personally I love the speedy handles. So feminine and chic.

Last edited:
i never wanted to buy the speedy till speedy B came out. didn't like carrying bags at the nook of my arm and prefer them over the shoulder.

funny thing is now that i have a speedy B, i don't mind carrying the bag handheld sometimes! :P

Strap drop has never been an issue for me, to be honest I did not realize people would be so concerned over strap drops until I came onto this forum? I have a speedy 30 and I find the handles to be rather proportionate to the bag. I think longer handles look odd on that style of handbag.

Basically the length of the handles of the speedy makes it pretty but not practical to other people. It makes it, you know, LV. I guess when I see bags with rolled handles with tabs and the hardware blah blah that has a short drop, I keep on thinking of the speedy. Even the empreinte version of the speedy has a shorter drop, but it makes it beautiful somehow.

Personally I love the speedy handles. So feminine and chic.

+1
I too love the short handles and think it is this feature that give the classic, feminine appearance. I would not love the speedy if they lengthen the handle drop. Forgive me for saying this (as I do own and love coach as well) but none of their satchel style bags are as chic, feminine, or classy as the speedy (in any size), and although their rolled handles are similarly styled, the longer handle drop take away from the classic appearance, IMHO.

For those who's into Hermes, I will use it as another example. The Birkin has a tiny handle as well (or at least in proportion to the rest of the bag) and this bag is soooo ionic and chic! There are many, many "look-a-likes" of the Birkin, but they all do not have the "it" factor to them. It took me a while to notice, but IMH it is the "size of the handle".

I can relate to the strap drop issue. I have 2 Coach Sophias, and just recently purchased a Speedy 30. I love everything about the Speedy except the strap drop. The handle drop on the Sophia is perfect. I think the Speedy drop will be fine in the summer when I'm not wearing a heavy coat, but right now. it is kind of a pain to fit over my winter coat. I have to tighten up my sleeve to even get it to fit if that makes sense. I am still in love with my Speedy though, and don't regret getting it. It is a classic bag that will still be in style for years to come.

This is truly laughable. Carrying the bag any other way than intended is by choice, not by design. If you feel you have to fit a handle up your arm (to whatever degree), get one that fits. There are many, many LV bags I don't like for their design... so I stay away from them. Simple as that.

This is truly laughable. Carrying the bag any other way than intended is by choice, not by design. If you feel you have to fit a handle up your arm (to whatever degree), get one that fits. There are many, many LV bags I don't like for their design... so I stay away from them. Simple as that.

Not sure if you are referring to this thread in general, or to my post as being "truly laughable." In any case, I love my Speedy, and it's not that the bag doesn't fit me because I am petite and have skinny arms. It's just the combination of my winter coat and the bag that makes it somewhat of an issue. Like I said, it will be fine in the summer when I don't have a heavy coat on.