Is a box important?

It didn't stop me from buying my beloved BBKelly, but I was delighted when a lovely SA found one fir me when I sent my bag to the spa. It's nice for storage over the summer when I don't use my 2 Kellys and only use my PM Picotin.

My Kelly came back from spa in a new dustbag too. The dustbag is nice to have but not that hard to get. I'd never keep a bag in it's box anyway and neither would be a deal breaker if the bag was what I was really after.

You can always buy a used box if you reaaalllly want one. They are ridiculously overpriced (around $200) but easy to find.
I like to have a box for each of my bags for storage (I air them out) and moving around, but I would never pass up a grail bag because of lack of box or dustbag.

This is true. I even sent a bag in an old orange dustbag and it came back with a new dustbag (and the orange one inside). I have seen someone picking up a non-B bag from spa and it was in a clear plastic bag though.
I sent in my Jypsiere for spa service, and it came back with a new dust bag.

I declined boxes when buying in Europe a couple years ago, but then I found out that you could sell the large boxes for $100-200 on eBay! But I couldn't fit them in my suitcase anyway. This year, I took the box from the store, but still couldn't fit it in my suitcase, so had to toss the box in the recycle bin. It felt like throwing actual money away.

But in the end, it's just a box.

I heard from my SA that people would buy boxes and dust bags to package fakes.
When I got married my dads business friend gave me a birkin as wedding present, which I always doubted it authenticity.
So I took it to my SA and she confirmed with me that dust pouches felt right but nothing else did.
:lol::lol::lol:

For my Birkins yes but for others, no. The need for a box for me relates to the dollar value and challenges in replacement of the bags. I have 35s so storing in a box safest for me.

I have a couple of large boxes my (35cm) birkins came in, and lots of little boxes from accessories etc. I keep them all stacked up on top of one of my wardrobes, and they look pretty, but I think after the first one, I cared so much less.