Is a box important?

Jul 16, 2016
I'm hoping for some help and reassurance!
I've found my holy grail Birkin (black clemence with PHW) at a great price. It's in excellent condition and is 10 years old. Due to the colour, it will be used every day for many years to come. The only snag is that it doesn't come with a box or a dustbag, just the clochette and keys.
Should this concern me? What are your thoughts on Birkins without their boxes or dustbags? Any opinions/advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks in advance!

To me it's not.
If I buy a bag when traveling I don't pack the box. It is just too bulky. You can always buy another bag from Hermes in the future and then you'd get a nice big juicy orange box.

I do not think you can buy a box. Each bag is shipped to the store in its box and typically there are no extra bag boxes (small items, sure). Maybe things have changed recently? Or in the rare instance, the store will have a box because the client didn't take one?

Edited to add: sorry I misread. Thought you said to buy a box, not a bag. oooops.

Reactions: loves
Thanks for all of your replies and advice, you have all made valid and sensible points. I think I'll still go ahead with the purchase (so excited!!) as the only reason I would need a box and dustbag is for when I would possible want to sell it, but as it's my dream bag i think I'll keep it forever :smile: I'll post some pics when it arrives. Thanks again for your help

Thanks for all of your replies and advice, you have all made valid and sensible points. I think I'll still go ahead with the purchase (so excited!!) as the only reason I would need a box and dustbag is for when I would possible want to sell it, but as it's my dream bag i think I'll keep it forever :smile: I'll post some pics when it arrives. Thanks again for your help
If you take the bag for H spa service, they give you a dust bag....

Reactions: kashmira and lulilu
It is not a deal breaker for me. My orange boxes are just getting in the way and I don't ever used my clochette. I do like the Hermes dust bag though but you may be able to find one somewhere. Now if you plan on selling it down the line, it could pose a problem. Just make sure it is authentic.

Reactions: chic celebrations