is a black city 'worth' buying at retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glammm

Jun 27, 2008
Hi all, I need serious input. Do you think a black city is worth buying for retail + tax? I paid $1295 [ithink] + local sales tax for my city and have not even worn it yet. Do you think I should return it and just buy one second hand at a discounted price? its not like black is a "hard to find, hard to get color", nor is it seasonal. Sure, leather varies, but IMO I can always find a black, more specifically at a discount.

Can anyone give me rational advice?

Thats almost $1350+ for a black city, I am sure I can find one second hand for atleast $1100, NO?

Yeah why not? I would. There's a bunch of hot colors out right now, and you could get a black bag that's retail price from another season with amazing leather that everyone has been gushing about. And if you've already found one under retail then return yours for a colored bag and get the discounted black bag as well.

I think it all depends on the type of leather your black bag has...if it´s TDF you might want to keep her as the leathers vary alot from season to season! Good luck1

Kat

Yes, I agree with Kat too - lots of the black cities on ebay have been selling for way over 1350 recently, admitedly some have been 05 which apparently has the best leather for Bal. But even 06 cities which have not been thought to have the best leather have been going for quite a high price recently. Depends on how much you like your bag though...

The reason the older bags are selling at a premium is twofold. There is a perception that the leather on the older bags is somehow "better." Also, a number of the new black bags have been less saturated with deep black color.

Each and every season seems to have a particular complaint, as to the black leather released. Even some of the 05s have been plagued with particularly thin leather.

As others have advised, decide if you like your bag, and compare it with some of the others that are available now, before you return it. By 2010 everyone may be looking for YOUR bag. You wouldn't want to be one of them. :wtf:

If youre happy with the bag(color/leather) then def. keep it. It is nice to have a bag than you can break in your self and don't have to worry about possible "flaws" made by the previous owner. Moreover, as the other girls say, a allmost new black city secondhand infrequently sells that much below retail. On the other hand, if you wanna have chevre leather I totally understand if you decide to go for a secondhand bag but I would not expect to find one in good condition that much under retail.

I think it depends on how often you'll use the bag. I bought my 07 Black City at retail from BalNY and LOVE it..to me it's the most perfect black bag ever and I use it all the time :yes:

I say keep it. I have been looking for a black city for awhile and it is pretty tough for me to find one still in good condition for a reasonable price! And keeping the new one, you can break in your own bag yourself. =)

Glammm, my darling...Enough! End the rumination and shred the receipt. What better an investment than a black City, RH? You deserve a new one, that will smell only like YOU! (And Bal leather, of course.) :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.