Is a BLACK BAG a must in a bag collection?

earthx

back to basic.
O.G.
Aug 31, 2010
I have had a few black bags before in the past, but currently have none in my closet since they never worked out for me. I'm currently only have 2 premier designer bags (LV Bergamo MM and BAL Seigle rggh Work) in my collection and 2 Longchamp Lepliages in lagoon and navy (one as a school bag, another is a carry-on). I'm thinking of purchasing more bags in a short future, but all of them are either in beige/grey tones. I was talking to my mother about my purchases and she was commenting on how I should consider a black bag since she feels like it's a "must have" in everyone's closet. I'm personally a fan of light-colored bags, I love how they seem to go well with either light or dark colored outfits. But then, my mom's suggestion really makes me having second thoughts right now. Thoughts?

There are no MUST in this case. I believe a lot of people have black bags since it's a common and safe color. I have a few black Chanel's but my everyday bags are mostly brown.
If you prefer light-colored bags then that is what you should go for. I also think it depends on where you live. I see you are in sunny California, it makes sense to have light colored bags there. Perhaps you'll get a black clutch in the future but for now you're totally fine with other colors. Buy what you like.

I feel like a black bag is a a neutral, go to bag that exists in a collection. I'm not saying that it's essential but i feel like its be a bag that would go with outfits more and should just be something that you can reach for and not worry too much about getting it dirty which makes it less of a hassle and reliable.

If you don't have one now and don't miss it then it probably isn't a must 'for you'. I rarely bought anything other than black until a few years ago, right now I have 3 black, 1 LV Ebene, 2 patterned (one white/gray/black and one brown/tan) and 1 ivory and I like the non-black ones better. I did have a red one for a while (it wore out) and used it every day while I had it so I think unless your bag really clashes with your outfit then any colour you like is good.

I do like to have a black bag for days I'm feeling lazy seeing as black goes with most everything, and personally I just also really like black bags. However there is no general 'must' 'cause everyone is different :smile: If you prefer different colours then there are many other neutrals, and it also really depends on the colours in your wardrobe. I'm sure some people are great at crafting outfits that involve only very bright 'pop' colours and don't need neutrals at all!

Verdict: If you prefer light coloured bags and make them work with your wardrobe then stick with what you love! If on the other hand you fancy a change go for it - but no need to limit yourself to picking a black bag! Good luck!

I feel like a black bag is a a neutral, go to bag that exists in a collection. I'm not saying that it's essential but i feel like its be a bag that would go with outfits more and should just be something that you can reach for and not worry too much about getting it dirty which makes it less of a hassle and reliable.

ditto..I have a lot of bags but sometimes there isn't one that quite right, so I reach for the black one

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Yes, I do wear black from time to time (I love black outfit! So classy!) But I hardly wear a black bag with in, always go with a light colored bag (cream/brown are my safe colors). I do agree with some of you about how black bags are pretty worry free, I suffer with color transfer all the time with a lot of my bags from wearing them with dark clothes, jeans etc. Maybe I might need to consider having one black bag in my closet. Any recommendations? I was actually looking at the Prada Suffiano Lux Tote, the small one with a strap and is currently deciding between Black and a Beige/Brown color. I thought I was gonna go for the other one, but now I start having mixed feelings for black!

I never wear black. I have red-brown freckles and copper colored hair. Black just isn't happening for me.

Dark brown is my all-around neutral. It goes with everything. I don't think I'll ever buy a black bag.

Reactions: chaliyai
For me, a black bag is a must in my collection. I have a few black bags, actually...but black bags have always been a favorite of mine. They're just so easy to wear because they're much more worry-free for me. I don't think they have to be an absolute must in everyone's collections though; your collection needs to be about what YOU love and know you will carry.